Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #43
blueforza

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS
GREAT Thank you. I just bought it from Tirerack 12.00 plus shipping. and I have the same brake lines so doing it all together. Thanks again
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #44
jlugo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1LE 'Summit White'
I appreciate the information, very helpful...
jlugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #45
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
You got it.

Still using my SuperBlue Dot 4 with my stainless steel brake lines and I LOVE it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #46
camcam

Drives: 2010 cyber grey meta
Bump.....Awesome info, thank you so much!!
camcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #47
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

You bet! With as much autocrossing (Camarocrossing) as we've all been doing lately, this is good idea.

If anyone is planning on doing road course racing (ie: four sessions of 20 minute hard, HARD driving), this is a MUST. Doing 80ish and then slamming on the brakes only to have them go to the floor ain't....that....fun. PUCKER FACTOR!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #48
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I know this is an old thread but I thought you may want to know:
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and
Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Continental has decided that the ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid does not
comply with the applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for brake fluid, because that
standard requires motor vehicle brake fluid to be colorless or amber in color.
The purpose of the color requirement in the standard is to permit easy identification of
brake fluids before they are placed in the vehicle, in order to prevent the mixing of an
incompatible fluid in a braking system. If an incompatible fluid is put into a motor vehicle brake
system, it could lead to brake damage or brake failure.
Continental will repurchase any ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid that you
have in your possession at the full price you paid at retail, plus your shipping costs, if any.
Please contact Continental by phone at 800-265-1818 or by email at techsupport-us@vdo.com
for instructions about obtaining the refund.
If you believe that Continental has failed or is unable to remedy the noncompliance
without charge within a reasonable time, please contact us at the above phone number or email
address. You may also wish to contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll free
Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to
http://www.safercar.gov.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #49
Andy-AMSOIL

Drives: bicycle
Has anyone used the Amsoil Racing Dot 4 ?

One of my GTR customers road races and uses it, he claims he cured the soft pedal issue
Andy-AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #50
Exgie

Drives: Porsche 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
I'm sold. Going with Super Blue DOT 4 before C5Fest II. How much does it take to flush the old stuff out of the sytem? Owner's manual doesn't have anything about brake fluid capacity.

You cannot get super blue any longer. Well you can but it's not blue. The Government says you cannot put dye in brake fluid so Super Blue has been discontinued and all of it was supposed to be dump.

The replacement is SL200

Phhissst I still have Super Blue in my car.
Exgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #51
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I had super blue in mine for 4 years. Awesome stuff. I might even have some left over now that it's sold. Think I'll check.... $$$!!!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #52
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Made that a little larger for you...lol

When you are on the brakes as much as you are in a road course, they will super heat becoming extremely hot. Put that parking brake on and you are talking about welding metal together. Yes, it can warp it.

Do not EVER put on that parking brake!!!

I can understand that if the rotor surface and caliper were used for the parking brake like in older cars. You didn't want to sink the heat back into the caliper, and you could do weird things with the rotor heat, in theory possible to warp it.

Modern cars use a drum in hat and parking brake shoe. I yank mine on as hard as I can even on track days . Never a problem. That drum in hat surface and parking brake shoes, aren't hot enough to cause any problems.

Much more important is the cool down laps before parking. I've seen people pull straight in the pits on an HPDE day. Brakes smoking hot, and shut it off. Then say.. make sure nobody puts their parking brake on. Ok, but how's your pedal feel in a few minutes of heating soaking there sitting still with blazing hot rotors? Next session... that car had brake pedal probs. Mine that sat with the P brake on, all good.

I've found the Motul D0t 4 works great for me. And I grab that parking brake everytime so she doesn't roll away. And if you'd like to cool the clutch down, hold the clutch pedal down with a stick jammed against the seat. Separates the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate to circulate some air through there. Just stuff that works for me, plenty will dissagree.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #53
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Good info. Bumping this thread for those getting DOT 4 for the first time. I did not find what I was looking for however, the capacity of our brake fluid so I know how much to buy.

Edit: Found out the capacity.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 06-26-2015 at 01:51 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #54
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Okay, the more I learn the more confused I am getting. I am getting lots of mixed messages from different people about whether I need to change to DOT 4 fluid in my V6 before taking on the NCM track. Now those of you who know me, know I will not be the fastest car out there on that track (Watch out for me on the drag strip, but not so much yet on autocross or road track). Now reading this, even if I do decide to change to DOT 4 I am not sure about how to buy the right one. Trying to read about the different DOT 4 fluids on line I can't tell much difference between them. How much does the brand matter as there IS a pretty big difference in price & probably some difference in quality. And once & for all, do I really need to do this or not? If I do then for sure I will but I don't want to mess with it if is really more of a V8 thing or more for folks who will be pushing their cars really hard (more than I likely will).
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #55
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

This is what GM uses in their track testing cars. This is what I put in my 2014 ZL1 for track days.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #56
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Okay, the more I learn the more confused I am getting. I am getting lots of mixed messages from different people about whether I need to change to DOT 4 fluid in my V6 before taking on the NCM track. Now those of you who know me, know I will not be the fastest car out there on that track (Watch out for me on the drag strip, but not so much yet on autocross or road track). Now reading this, even if I do decide to change to DOT 4 I am not sure about how to buy the right one. Trying to read about the different DOT 4 fluids on line I can't tell much difference between them. How much does the brand matter as there IS a pretty big difference in price & probably some difference in quality. And once & for all, do I really need to do this or not? If I do then for sure I will but I don't want to mess with it if is really more of a V8 thing or more for folks who will be pushing their cars really hard (more than I likely will).
Just get some Motul 600. Has been proven to be a great choice for street and track for years.

There are many differences, qualities, specs, prices.... for DOT 4. SRF is great for race cars, but really pricey. Motul 600 is top quality and not outrageously prices. I get it from Amazon, usually 3 or 4 of the 500 ml bottles will complete a flush and fill. Stay away from the really cheap DOT 4. Motul 600 has all the right specs and qualities for what you are going to do.

Make sure you have plenty of brake pad material also, and tire tread. A road course will chew both up quick.

Whether you should put in DOT 4 or not depends how you will be driving it on the track. If just putting around, stock fluid is fine. Pushing it hard at all... definitely upgrade the brake fluid. DOT 3 on a road course will cause brake fade really fast, just a couple spirited laps and your pedal will hit the floor. A good DOT 4 and you can hot lap it all day.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote