Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #57
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Way to make it happen Captain................Scott......you my friend.....have fought the fight and came out on top.

Congratualtions!!!!!!!
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #58
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #59
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
awesome! i never even saw that coming!
Sometimes I can pull something good out of my A**...
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 AM   #60
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
This has brought a smile to my face. Thank you for all the hard work in bringing a legend back to life.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #61
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
when is the book coming out?

Scott, since the first time I came to this web site and read your posts I liked your style of writing. I can only imagine if you would find some time to write a book on your adventures with GM and Camaro.

So my question is; when can we expect to see your book on the shelves? Not everyone is blessed to walk through your valley of life and it would be a shame if you don't share it with the rest of us.

Hope to see your book sooner than later.

Keeping the faith, with the force of the Z.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #62
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by zforce View Post
Scott, since the first time I came to this web site and read your posts I liked your style of writing. I can only imagine if you would find some time to write a book on your adventures with GM and Camaro.

So my question is; when can we expect to see your book on the shelves? Not everyone is blessed to walk through your valley of life and it would be a shame if you don't share it with the rest of us.

Hope to see your book sooner than later.

Keeping the faith, with the force of the Z.
That would be a great book, it could even be a great movie IMO!

Thanks Scott for the words!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #63
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Detroit, Michigan – Monday, March 16, 2009

“And so it is done”

…..those were the words that our Friend, Art Spong, said to me on August 27, 2002.
I tried to remain calm as I heard those words via my cell-phone – but I must admit (and the ‘y’ chromosome in me is ashamed) that my eyes began to “leak.”

You see—Art was the Brand Quality Manager for Camaro/Firebird – and he was at Ste. Therese Assembly to witness the last Camaros and Firebirds coming off the line at just after 9am Eastern Daylight Savings Time.

Me?

I was in the parking lot of McDonald Funeral Home in Avalon, Pennsylvania – as we were ready to set off for the Cemetery to bury a favorite Uncle. “Uncle Tic” was a mentor to me in so many ways – and I still desperately miss him……………

The phone rang – it was Art – and he said “………and so it is done…….. it’s over – the last one just came off the line……..”

As we go thru life, there are “Guideposts” if you will.

Your Graduation.

Your first Communion

Your first kiss

Your Wedding.

The Birth of your Children.

I’ve never had Children (at least to my knowledge!) – ( but there was a wonderful child named Victor who came to me at 18 months old and showed to me what a miracle a child can be……)

– and I guess that the Enthusiast community convinced me years ago that “Camaros” are my children.

………..and how proud I am of them!

……………and yes, I know some people find that strange or disturbing – and if they do, fine – the heck with them!

Anyway – once again, I digress!

“And so it is done”………..

Today, VIN number 100001 ‘roared’ to life at Oshawa, Ontario.

That “roar” was heard worldwide as enthusiasts everywhere awaited the return of an Icon….our beloved Camaro.
Rick Hendrick was on-hand to drive his new Camaro (VIN A9100001) off the line – an SS/RS…..

Now is a great time for celebration.

As you celebrate – perhaps it’s appropriate to reflect on the memories you have of Camaro….and to understand WHY it means so much to so many…………so put those ‘guideposts’ right here on this thread….so that we can all share…….

Some memories of mine:

September of 1966—a Bolero Red RS convertible being delivered to our dealership – and immediately whisked away to my Grandparent’s garage – so that no one would see it before announcement day.

Late January, 1970 – walking into the shop of the dealership and discovering a 1970 Camaro RS in Shadow Gray – OMG – could it be BETTER looking than the first Camaro I ever saw??? Yup!!

February 26th, 1970 – the “announcement day” for the 1970 ½ Camaro (and Corvette)

Easter, 1973—when I took delivery of the first Camaro I could actually call MY OWN! It was a Chamois Type LT with a neutral woven vinyl interior…………how proud I was to drive it. (Dad didn’t trust me with a Z28!)

November 1973 – when I took delivery of my 1974 Camaro Type LT – Red with a white vinyl top. (how 1970s!)

October 1977 – when I got my first “GM Company Car Camaro” – a bright yellow Z28!

……………1981—driving a 1982 Z28 in cammo. On the Atlantic City Expressway…….I pulled into a Service Plaza and had people surround the car trying to figure out what it was!

May, 1985—my first IROC! Sex on wheels! Who knew the name IROC would become synomymous with the name Camaro?

June of 1992 – on vacation with a 1992 25th Anniversary Z28 Convertible – white with Red Stripes…..oh how I wish I’d bought it and put it away……….

……….1993—my first 4th Gen Camaro – wow – what a ‘space ship!” (and OMG – is there anything that sounds better than this LT1 engine??)

1996—my move to Detroit as “Assistant Brand Manager- Camaro/Corvette – and meeting Ed and Dave Hamburger for the first time – to see the return of the Camaro SS……

1997 – the 30th Anniversary Camaro – is there anything more “Camaro” than white with Orange Stripes?

Summer of 1997 – and the first drive of an LS1 powered Camaro…….WOOHOOOOO!!!!

June of 2001 – and the unveil of the 2002 Camaro 35th Anniversary SS – the long fights to get the program approved – and then trying to keep it under wraps so that we could surprise our Enthusiasts at ‘Camaros at Carlisle’

…………….and then the awful day - -August 27th – 2002………..

“………and so it is done……….”

……….and then January 8th, 2006 – when we hosted over 250 Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts at the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan – to tell them that the next morning - -the 9th of January--we’d unveil a “Camaro Concept”

…..and then the 9th of January …………and watching with tears in my eyes as a Silver Camaro roared out onto the stage at Cobo Center in Detroit – and realizing that many others, too, had tears in their eyes……….

………….and then announcing in August of 2006 that, indeed, the Camaro WOULD be back…………

………..and then showing the “production camaro” at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in September of 2008………..

…………and taking delivery of my CTF Camaro SS/RS in January of 2009……………..

…………….and then I think of all of YOU – who have ‘kept the faith’ – even when it was very hard to do so……..

…………and the friendships that have been offered by you…………….

And so today, March 16, 2009 – is a day that I will never, in this lifetime,-- ever forget.

It’s been an amazing ride – but what else could you EXPECT from a Camaro?

It’s a time for celebration….

It’s a time for friendship….

And it’s a time for us to enjoy the fellowship of “Camarodom”!!

Thank you – so very, very, very much – for ‘keeping the faith’ –

My work is done.

“……and so it is done………..”
To quote BSG " SO SAY WE ALL!!!!! I also smiled at the shout out for the AC expressway. I live not to far the Farley rest stop. Who knew the the great fbodfather has graced the parking lot. I will suggest a plaque in hi honor.

Last edited by Sierra; 03-17-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #64
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Thank-you Scott, yep party is on...
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #65
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
This speech reminds me of the camaro situation. We are the ones who understand what it means to be a Camaro fan. We all were disheartened when it was discontinued and joyous when it was reborn. 03/16/09 will be our St. Cripins day.

This day is called the Feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a-tiptoe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall see this day and live t'old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say "To-morrow is Saint Crispian":
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars
And say "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remembered.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother;
be he ne'er so vile
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now abed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #66
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
Thanks, Scott. A great thing about this time around is that you and others have taken the time to communicate with us via this forum and to show us pre-production versions of the car and ask us for our inputs.

It's a totally different experience for me than in any prior release of a new vehicle. Personally, I really like this new way!

Now if I can just wait until next month when I receive my new Camaro without going crazy!
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #67
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
My love affair with the camaro started in 1990 when I was 12yrs old. My dad had a 1975 Jeep CJ5 that I dreamt of inheriting from him when I got my licence. Then he sold it and I was crushed. That is until soon after he took me shopping for a sports car. His choice was a 1981 camaro Z28 with 110,000 miles. It had a 350, 3-speed auto, dark blue with tan interior, all original numbers matching. It needed some freshening to be nice, but it was already beautiful in my eyes.

Nights and weekends (with the help of his mechanic friend) we spent rebuilding the engine, trans, rear end, brakes, suspension, body, paint, and interior. Then in 1994 when I turned 16, he handed me the keys and the title. I'd still have that car today if it wasn't for an unfortunate car accident (not my fault) that totalled it two years later. We were both heartbroken.

My dad in the mean time had bought a 1990 RS V8 with a 5-speed, teal with graphite interior. He kept it stock, but I loved driving it. Many hate on the 3rd gens, but I love their looks. The RS was so sleek and handled great compared to my 2nd gen.

After a year of going without my own camaro I coudn't take it any longer and I purchased in 1997, a 1994 camaro Z28, white with gray interior, A4, 2.73 gears, 33,000 miles. I could barely afford it and didn't have any money to mod it, but I loved it. And the LT1 moved! Or at least it felt like it at the time. But alas I had to sell it only a year later when I decided the AirForce was the career choice for me. I went three more years before I could afford another camaro again.

In 2001 I could finally get my dream car, a 1998 camaro SS. It was red, an M6, with two tone gray/red interior, hardtop, in showroom condition with only 11,550 miles. 7 1/2 years later I still own it (now with 46,500 miles). It has rally stripes now, modded nicely, and looks great. It still stirs my soul now as much as it always has.

The 2010 camaro SS excites me every bit as much as my current SS does. I vow to own one someday. Hopefully brand new. I'm forced to wait again due to my upcoming marraige, and most likely followed by buying a home and possibly children. However, I will not let my current SS go until my 5th gen is in the driveway or at least ordered. Until then my 4th gen SS and I have many more special days to come.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #68
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Scott, thank you for convincing me to go to Oshawa. I will never regret it. And thank you for pushing to get the car built and never losing the faith.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #69
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Scott, thank you for convincing me to go to Oshawa. I will never regret it. And thank you for pushing to get the car built and never losing the faith.
We all sometimes forget just how much influence S.S. has had for our Beloved Camaro over the years.

In this time, no matter how much I am glad, and proud we all get to see "The Rebirth," I always take a step back and remember the countless "enthusiasts" (you had that coming Mr. Settlemire) that fought day and night - with endless passion and resiliency - with "The General" to make sure that this day was realized.

We truly, really, all owe a very big debt to those "behind the scenes" that made this happen.

I don't think we can ever realize or appreciate what was done on our behalf by those chosen few.

But I thank all that is right and good every single day that they ever bothered.

We cannot repay them enough...except...for to order, buy, and report back as to how happy we are that these cars are now....ours to own.

You, Scott - are an "enthusiast." Admit it. And be proud.

Thank you to Scott,Cheryl, John, Al, Paul, DGThe3, The Disciples, and anyone else I may have missed.

EDIT: PS- A big thanks to the "Ed and Ed" show. Mr. Peper, Thank You.

A tip of the hat and a big "Thank You" to you all.

And, Goodnight.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #70
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
To quote BSG " SO SAY WE ALL!!!!! I also smiled at the shout out for the AC expressway. I live not to far the Farley rest stop. Who knew the the great fbodfather has graced the parking lot. I will suggest a plaque in hi honor.

I used to buy lots of gas there.....I was a District Sales Manager in "South Jersey" (aka "down the shore") from late 1981 thru 1984.......lots of Camaro company cars -- lived in Ocean City and absolutely loved it!!!
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote