Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Injen Misfire

Ok so here is the story:

I was driving from Charleston, SC to Columbia, SC through a monsoon...

I was driving at about 65mph and then all of a sudden i hydroplaned and got a check engine light.

I could feel the car misfiring.

I pulled over at the first exit and shut off the car. It sounded horrible.

I immediately came to the conclusion that I had sucked water into the engine via my Injen Long Tube CAI

I let the car sit for a minute and then cranked it back up.

The check engine light was not on anymore so I continued my drive.

After I got to Columbia I let the car sit for a day.

The next day the check engine light came back on so I OnStar'd it and they told me that the code was for Cyl Misfire.

What should I do? The car seems to be running ok now but I don't really want to chance it while i'm under warranty.

Mods:
Injen Long Tube Intake
Doug Thorley Catback
LG Motorsports Short Shifter
PFADT lowering springs

Last edited by JustFresh; 05-31-2012 at 12:05 PM.
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Do you have the hydro shield on over your filter? I doubt it is water being injested. It really sounds like your stabilitrak was doing it's job (cutting power, applying braking, etc) as you were hydroplaning. Unfortunately to do that it's cutting cylinder firing as well so the ECM sees it as a misfire. Misfire codes usually run through 50 ignition cycles or so before the ECM sees it's running properly and clears itself.

I hope that's it. You can go to AutoZone or Advanced and they will pull the code so you can look up exactly what it is.

Whatever you do..... if you take it to the dealer, explain the hydroplaning then the misfire. That's it! Nothing else! Don't give them your conclusion!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
JustFresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Do you have the hydro shield on over your filter? I doubt it is water being injested. It really sounds like your stabilitrak was doing it's job (cutting power, applying braking, etc) as you were hydroplaning. Unfortunately to do that it's cutting cylinder firing as well so the ECM sees it as a misfire. Misfire codes usually run through 50 ignition cycles or so before the ECM sees it's running properly and clears itself.

I hope that's it. You can go to AutoZone or Advanced and they will pull the code so you can look up exactly what it is.

Whatever you do..... if you take it to the dealer, explain the hydroplaning then the misfire. That's it! Nothing else! Don't give them your conclusion!
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I do have the hydroshield on the car.

If I were to bring it to the dealer i would have no problem taking an hour to put my stock airbox back on the car because I kept it for this reason.

So should I just take it to Advance and have them clear the code and see if it comes back?

Thanks again
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
No, take it to advance or auto zone and have them tell you the exact code and post.it here. With the exact code, we can help a lot more. And yea have them clear it. If you do go to the dealer, put the stock box on. Unless your dealer is really cool, you better believe they are going to try to blame the intake if you still have it. And above all, give the dealership vague details. Just tell them u were driving and started to hydroplane and then the light came on. If you give them too much details, they might try to get out of it

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
If you have a smart phone with blue tooth I would just get a bluetooth code reader so you don't have to run to the dealer everytime the car hiccups.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Well, those stores will read a code for you, but they aren't allowed to clear them. I have the long tube Injen CAI as well with hydroshield and it's been on my car for over 2 years. Its a DD and has been through lots of rain. This is why I doubt very much it ingested water.

Me? What I would do is see if it clears itself. If it doesn't within a couple days then I'd look at heading to the dealer.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
JustFresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
No, take it to advance or auto zone and have them tell you the exact code and post.it here. With the exact code, we can help a lot more. And yea have them clear it. If you do go to the dealer, put the stock box on. Unless your dealer is really cool, you better believe they are going to try to blame the intake if you still have it. And above all, give the dealership vague details. Just tell them u were driving and started to hydroplane and then the light came on. If you give them too much details, they might try to get out of it
Ok thanks for the advice! I would definitely put the stock air intake back on if i go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcthulhu View Post
If you have a smart phone with blue tooth I would just get a bluetooth code reader so you don't have to run to the dealer everytime the car hiccups.
Yeah I should pick something like that up. I have never had any problems until now at 23,000 miles

Quote:
Well, those stores will read a code for you, but they aren't allowed to clear them. I have the long tube Injen CAI as well with hydroshield and it's been on my car for over 2 years. Its a DD and has been through lots of rain. This is why I doubt very much it ingested water.

Me? What I would do is see if it clears itself. If it doesn't within a couple days then I'd look at heading to the dealer.
Yeah ok well im crossing my fingers on this one hoping you are right and its misfiring because of the hydroplaning.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:

This.........Good Advice Norm!

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Off the top of my head I believe my code reader will clear codes but in the year i had it the only code my saturn sky threw was a low left rear tire pressure warning. And so far the camaro hasn't needed it.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
I had this happen once during the particularly rainy winter we had in California during the winter of 2010. A friend of mine mentioned that it was more than likely the eletrical ignition system. He had a Ford Explorer that exhibited the same symptoms whenever it rained, and ended up using one of those water-resistant sealants on the electrical connections at the top of each cylinder.

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote