Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #29
JM20

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Congrats!

You already have a tune...now you just need a set of headers, torque converter, a couple suspension upgrades to put the power to the ground, maybe some gears and your L99 will probably beat most LS3. Headers make a huge difference on this cars.
Yeah I've been thinking about doing the header thing again (had ARH LT's on the Vette) but they didn't do as much as I thought they would on that car. I'm reading how many people swear by them on the Camaro, but is it really that noticble? Do I really feel like dealing with re-torqing exhaust clamps every 500 miles. Yeah I'll probably end up doing them

Good luck on keeping the mod bug in check. That's going to be hard to do if you keep hanging around here.
I swore the only thing I was going to change when I picked up the car was an axel back exhaust. BUt you're right on...a few visits here and I'm already 4k more than I already though I'd spend. Whatta gonna do? It's all part of the fun, for me anyway.

I'm with you on going into the motor. I would love the sound of a cam but like you mentioned once you crack it open there is no going back which is why it will be quite some time if ever for me to go that route.

Everyone has their own preference and reasoning for going A6 vs M6. Personally I would only consider the M6. My wife wanted the M6 as well but had she not known how to drive an M6 I would've made her learn.....but that's just me.
I was going to teach the wife in the Vette, but there was no way she could of handled it with the Cam. It was a beast, but hard to keep running.

So...what does the wife and family think about the Camaro compared to the Vette?
Actually everyone loves it, and the wife is now a happy camper. To have the ability to take the family out to a nice Sunday breakfast is priceless. And to see their faces when I hit a low gear at WOT, and hear the kids beg me to do it again is awesome! (Of course within reason! )
JM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
WONSS

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS M6 SUMMITT WHITE
JM20. thats an awesome trade up. both cars are really cool....congrats, that iom color is really awesome....
WONSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #31
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Geez, I like you already. Nice Camaro, great mods list & cute kids! Welcome to the family. Sounds like you already have your permagrin well entrenched. See ya around the forum.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #32
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Joe, welcome also from Jersey.

I had a 1998 Corvette, unmodded though. Since then we've upgraded and now have these lucky ladies:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #33
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM20 View Post
I had some type of valve train mismatch, excessive exhaust fumes (yes I had HF CATS), horrible idle surging which was resolved after the thrid "expert" tune, but then turn on the AC and forget about it. I love the way a good CAM sounds at idle, but don't ever wanna go back there. I know many many people have fantastic results with the right cam, but for me it was a complete nightmare.

This time around...who knows.....might supercharge. But for now I'm more than happy with the output of this Camaro. As I don't do any racing this power is more than I'll ever use.
ya i feel you, i have had pretty good results with mine. went somewhat smaller. (223,231). i always knew never to go big. but overall as much as i do love the cammed thing. it at time is a hassle so again i really do feel you on that. i hate having to worry about springs.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #34
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Nothing wrong with ARH but there are plenty of other header options out there that won't hurt the wallet as much. Tons of threads out there on which headers to get and pretty much everyone recommends what they have but the big players are ARH, LG, KOOKS, Stainless Works, Dynatech and Texas Speed. However, since you already have a Jannetty tune then I would probaby buy from him so you can get a re-tune for free. He knows what he's doing so no issue there. Personally I recommend getting them ceramic coated for the looks as well.

Re-torquing clamps??? I've had my headers on my car for over 2.5 yrs and 11k miles and I've never had to re-tighten or re-torque anything on my exhaust. I also haven't heard anyone on here mention that they've had to either. You can ask that question the V8 section though. Ask and see if it's common.

I went from 370 rwhp to 412 rwhp. Over 40 rwhp which is pretty common and I gurantee you'll feel that. Your rwhp will be less because it's an L99 but your overall gains should basically be the same. The sound increase is awesome as well. You'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

BTW: not sure if you've found out about the nanny controls but just in case you haven't......hold the traction control button down for about 10 seconds. You'll see 2 lights come on the dash (if you only see one light then try again) showing you that you've turned off both Traction Control and Stabiltrac. Then go find an empty street and be prepared to have some fun roasting some tires....be carefull though because it can get sideways on you pretty easy with everything turned off.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #35
laditee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Welcome to the c5 family I to am from south jersey actually the same area....beeb or flash ur lights if u see me....i will beep back lol...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #36
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
welcome. awesome cars
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #37
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Welcome, enjoy that new ride!