Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post
Also, if they end up allowing you to swap speakers, JBL i believe, makes some 2 ohm speakers that have pretty good reviews.
I'll have to ask them about these, thanks!
ALLHAILFRANKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
Just a note:

Infinity makes pretty decent kits that are 2 ohm. I have the Infinity 60.9cs installed in my wife's Saturn Vue and they are pretty nice. I have always been super impressed with mid-bass that they can crank out.

Best of luck!
I'll also run these by them. From the conversation I had with the installer earlier this morning, it's looking more and more like I'll be purchasing brand new factory BA's from the dealership to replace them for the time being until I'm ready to replace the entire system :(
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Well what a day! As you may know, the appointment to correct this (more complicated than I think it should be) issue was earlier today, and to keep things short, it's taken a pricey yet satisfying turn lol. Before my trip to the shop, I stopped by my chevy dealer to price the two new factory BA speakers. After learning I'd have have shell out about $260 for them, I decided to go to my appointment at the shop with a more open mind (and wallet) and explore different options, and well...

The following goodies are now planned to be installed lol:

XD700/5 Amplifier (like the XD400/4, will this fit where the stock amp is held?)

C2650 Component Speaker System (There is a possiblity that I go with the C3's, but only if the tweeters fit in the stock housing without modification)

C2690tx 3-Way Coaxial Speaker System

I mentioned the ******** plug & play harness to the installer at the shop and while he said it's not necessarily needed, is it something I should definitely look into?

As for the Sub, he recommended JL's 10-inch TW3. Not sure if I'm feeling it though, any suggestions?

Best part about about it is, I'm getting a break (little discount) on all of this for the inconvenience!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
overall, a great plan....

the installer wants you to let him cut the car harness so he can drive up the labor. The ******** FARK harness will cut down the time as there is no splicing and you can revert to the boston amp he'll take out when you sell the car. I plan on taking my Xd400/4 with me onto my next Vette I buy in a few years....get the ******** harness and the ******** sub enclosure.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
I agree, Those speakers should sound way better than the BA speakers. Your issue is probably not the speakers but the amp in the car. You should definitely look at replacing the factory amp. You don't need a huge amp to get better sound, but I do recommend you get a 5 channel in case you want to add a sub later.
I don't want to hijack this, but I just read your post, and had a question. Why would the op need a 5 channel to add a sub if he wanted? Couldn't he use the 4 channel with preouts? I ask because I currently have a RF p300-10 sub that has the amp built in. I just bought the other harness from ******** and the amp mounting board. I was under the impression that using the preout on an amp would be fine to keep the sub after the amp upgrade. Am I wrong or is it just a preference?

I am looking at the JL xd400/4 as most people have installed
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I don't want to hijack this, but I just read your post, and had a question. Why would the op need a 5 channel to add a sub if he wanted? Couldn't he use the 4 channel with preouts? I ask because I currently have a RF p300-10 sub that has the amp built in. I just bought the other harness from ******** and the amp mounting board. I was under the impression that using the preout on an amp would be fine to keep the sub after the amp upgrade. Am I wrong or is it just a preference?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #21
Glen e

Quote:

I am looking at the JL xd400/4 as most people have installed
you have an amp'd sub...he does not - the pre out does not power your sub....
Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
you have an amp'd sub...he does not - the pre out does not power your sub....
Ok so it's just sending the audio signal through to the amped sub.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Glen e

Quote:
Ok so it's just sending the audio signal through to the amped sub.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
Your installer has put together a very solid plan for you. You should be very happy with it.
Warsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #25
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
One of the biggest problems is with the factory systems (usually that are amped like the ba) the speakers/factory amp are tuned for each other meaning you cant adjust anything outside of the normal controls that are on the radio (bass, trebble).
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
overall, a great plan....

the installer wants you to let him cut the car harness so he can drive up the labor. The ******** FARK harness will cut down the time as there is no splicing and you can revert to the boston amp he'll take out when you sell the car. I plan on taking my Xd400/4 with me onto my next Vette I buy in a few years....get the ******** harness and the ******** sub enclosure.
Good point, I'll definitely order the fark harness. Do you know if the XD700/5 fits into the space provided from the stock amp? Also, is there any cons of not having the 5-channel accessible?

Since I only have 300 watts to play with for the sub I'm looking to purchase either the 10-inch W3v3, 10-inch TW3 (wasn't too fond of this sub at the shop), or the 10-inch W1v3. I would also like to purchase the ******** 10-inch drop-in stealth enclosure for it's clean look. Which of those 3 subs would be the most ideal for the XD700/5 (300 watts considered) and that ******** enclosure? The W3's peak at 500 watts, would it be a waste of money running it off only the XD700/5 (could I add another amp to get everything the bang the sub offers later?) and the 300 watts it provides?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #27
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
One of the biggest problems is with the factory systems (usually that are amped like the ba) the speakers/factory amp are tuned for each other meaning you cant adjust anything outside of the normal controls that are on the radio (bass, trebble).

I added an amp'd sub (infinity basslinlk) and a JL xd400/4 amp and left the stock speakers intact.VERY happy with system, like a different car for about $500.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
ALLHAILFRANKOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
Your installer has put together a very solid plan for you. You should be very happy with it.
I hope so! Appreciate your help

Tags
advice, disappointed, jl audio, tr650-csi