Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #29
Inferno92

Drives: 2013 ss2 rs inferno orange
What is afm and what does it do

Sent from my iPhone using
Inferno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #30
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melba Toast View Post
Oh yeah! Very much so! Thats funny, same thing here with noticing it after an after-market exhaust on. I want AFM off! Have a bit of warranty left on my car so I may get a RANGE for now until I can fully tune out AFM after all my warranty is expired.
Range is great but the tune will change your car into an animal trust me. I was also like you, I got the Range first and it was nice but ultimately after I decided to get headers I had to get a tune and trust me the difference is day and night. JRE tuned

How did you burn out in reverse lol sounds like you used to gas it harder! Do the tune, you will never go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno92 View Post
What is afm and what does it do

Sent from my iPhone using
AFM is a feature avaiable on automatic L99 camaros - It shuts off four cylinders when you are cruising below 2k rpm to conserve 1-2 mpg. Sounds horrible, completely useless.

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #31
erasedgod
CGM 2SS/RS

Drives: # 9641
When I put headers on my car, I quickly learned the value of TapShift. It disables AFM. Until you can get it tuned out, using the paddles is probably your best option.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #32
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Put a X-Pipe in. You have lost cylinder scavenging. I did the same thing taking my resonator out of my 2010 L99. She sounded great but felt like a heavy pig. Talked to some tuners and they said you need to have an X or H pipe in there for scavenging. Put X-pipe in and she was back to burning off tires.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #33
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Put a X-Pipe in. You have lost cylinder scavenging. I did the same thing taking my resonator out of my 2010 L99. She sounded great but felt like a heavy pig. Talked to some tuners and they said you need to have an X or H pipe in there for scavenging. Put X-pipe in and she was back to burning off tires.
Already suggested but the OP has the full catback with a X pipe already in it.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #34
Melba Toast

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
Range is great but the tune will change your car into an animal trust me. I was also like you, I got the Range first and it was nice but ultimately after I decided to get headers I had to get a tune and trust me the difference is day and night. JRE tuned

How did you burn out in reverse lol sounds like you used to gas it harder! Do the tune, you will never go back.

LOL! ha no no dont mean hard burn outs in the driveway... meant on the hill reversing out with the nanny stuff off the rear squealed a tad...

If the Range kept you in all 8 all the time, wouldnt that pretty much be the same as the tune, except of course not having to plug anything in anymore, the car would be an animal still

The Range would be a temporary solution because I cannot stand the AFM right now but since I just needed brakes recently, I'm keeping whats left of my warranty and then I'll decide after it expires. Especially since I'm really wanting to get headers now.
Melba Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #35
Melba Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Already suggested but the OP has the full catback with a X pipe already in it.
This.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #36
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
all I can say is with my range plugged in I never feel any transition feeling from 4 to 8 cylinders. not noises other than the sweet sound of the V8 and low rumble

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #37
orchbelt00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post

I put the Range in mind. Totally agree. That little $200 part totally awoke the beast inside like a new car.

MODS :
GM MyLink w Nav, K&N 63 Series Air Intake, Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust, GM High Wing, BMR 4 Point Shock Strut Tower Brace, L99 to LS3 conversion kit, Lingenfelter GT12 cam, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Stainless Works LT headers w high flow cats, a bunch of cosmetic stuff and more to come...
orchbelt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #38
orchbelt00

Quote:
Oh yeah! Very much so! Thats funny, same thing here with noticing it after an after-market exhaust on. I want AFM off! Have a bit of warranty left on my car so I may get a RANGE for now until I can fully tune out AFM after all my warranty is expired.

Range markets their product as not impacting the warranty. Apparently, everything goes back to stock settings when you unplug it. I leave mine in. Don't know why anyone would want a Camaro in a 4 cylinder.

My car in AFM I4 mode with the Borla ATAK sounded like a damn Prius with a coffee can fart pipe exhaust.

MODS :
GM MyLink w Nav, K&N 63 Series Air Intake, Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust, GM High Wing, BMR 4 Point Shock Strut Tower Brace, L99 to LS3 conversion kit, Lingenfelter GT12 cam, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Stainless Works LT headers w high flow cats, a bunch of cosmetic stuff and more to come...
orchbelt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
Melba Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchbelt00 View Post
Range markets their product as not impacting the warranty. Apparently, everything goes back to stock settings when you unplug it. I leave mine in. Don't know why anyone would want a Camaro in a 4 cylinder.

My car in AFM I4 mode with the Borla ATAK sounded like a damn Prius with a coffee can fart pipe exhaust.
Annnnnnnd sadly that's probably why I sold my Borla ATAK... I probably should have given it a better chance after the RANGE or a tune...
Old 05-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #40
Melba Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
all I can say is with my range plugged in I never feel any transition feeling from 4 to 8 cylinders. not noises other than the sweet sound of the V8 and low rumble
Hey jshaf, would you say the exhaust note on the catback sounds a bit louder with the Range in, or is the exhaust the same volume, but that its just the shutter/farting sounds of the V8-V4 transition that are gone? I was curious if the car is in all 8 all the time due to the Range or Tune, would the exhaust note be louder than running on the stock AFM L99 or just the same loudness?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #41
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Hey jshaf, would you say the exhaust note on the catback sounds a bit louder with the Range in, or is the exhaust the same volume, but that its just the shutter/farting sounds of the V8-V4 transition that are gone? I was curious if the car is in all 8 all the time due to the Range or Tune, would the exhaust note be louder than running on the stock AFM L99 or just the same loudness?

The exhaust note does not change with the range device.

Sent from my 2SS/RS