Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Need new roof options

Sun roof options are great and all but I'd like to see T-tops, panoramic roof, or even a targa option like the Vettes have on a modern Camaro. I'm no engineer or automotive designer but it'd seem like something that shouldn't be so far fetched for a Gen6 or even Gen5 Camaro back when it was refreshed.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Probably not enough space, these cars were designed for short people like myself.

So sunroofs are excellent for me because my head isn't anywhere near the roof.

Targa option like the Vette would be amazing, but again, probably not enough room.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
I would imagine integrity would be an issue such as the verts. I believe additional frame support would be needed weighing the car down. Might not be an issue for T-Tops, as I've seen custom jobs before, but still may be.

Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Yeah I've been quoted on this job. The kit alone was 8k. A few shops gave about 10-11k total quote to do this and I laughed. If GM couldn't do T-tops or targa....panoramic would be cool to have. Just something to open it up and keep the coupe like look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I would imagine integrity would be an issue such as the verts. I believe additional frame support would be needed weighing the car down. Might not be an issue for T-Tops, as I've seen custom jobs before, but still may be.

2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
That's cool. I would probably bang my head on the corner of the windshield getting into the car though.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
And then there's the side airbag curtain to deal with.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Retractable hard top convertible anyone? I'm really surprised more convertibles aren't hard tops. The soft top is just so ugly in most cases.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
TangoMike

Drives: 2012 2ls RS V6 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post

No, structural integrity is not an issue (from factory. A DIY isna different story) That's because it would be designed as such. The easiest solution would be to use the convertible frame and body. The existing roof would be cosmetic, rather than structural. It would only need to support itself with a tradition T-Top. A power version would be a bit more heavy (think some form of dual sunroof.)
TangoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #9
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMike View Post
No, structural integrity is not an issue (from factory. A DIY isna different story) That's because it would be designed as such. The easiest solution would be to use the convertible frame and body. The existing roof would be cosmetic, rather than structural. It would only need to support itself with a tradition T-Top. A power version would be a bit more heavy (think some form of dual sunroof.)
Correct. I was indeed referring to an aftermarket application. Obviously factory would be engineered to consider structural.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
The pillars and roof in the 2010+ Camaro offers zero structural integrity.

There have been companies offering T-tops for the 2010+ Camaro for 6 years now.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
Sun roof options are great and all but I'd like to see T-tops, panoramic roof, or even a targa option like the Vettes have on a modern Camaro. I'm no engineer or automotive designer but it'd seem like something that shouldn't be so far fetched for a Gen6 or even Gen5 Camaro back when it was refreshed.
T-top's don't pass modern day crash tests required by NHTSA so manufacturers can't build cars with them anymore.

Targa tops are only viable in 2 seater sports cars because the left over roof section offers just enough protection to just barely pass the crash tests. When installed on a 4 seater sports car (like the Camaro), the targa top does not pass. If the NHTSA becomes any more strict on their testing, then targa tops also will not be an option.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #12
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
T-top's don't pass modern day crash tests required by NHTSA so manufacturers can't build cars with them anymore.

Targa tops are only viable in 2 seater sports cars because the left over roof section offers just enough protection to just barely pass the crash tests. When installed on a 4 seater sports car (like the Camaro), the targa top does not pass. If the NHTSA becomes any more strict on their testing, then targa tops also will not be an option.
Porsche still offers a Targa on the 911 (4 Seats) and most of it is Glass!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote