Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Non-car people will never understand

So today was my day off. In so being a rare Tuesday off of work I decided to put some productive hours into my two cars. This is a relatively normal activity for me on my days off. I've worked on cars since I was a kid and I continued to enjoy doing so into my adulthood. Hell, I would not have bought my SS if I didn't enjoy the car hobby to an extent.

The morning started out with the Camaro. I've had an ongoing issue with my Camaro since moving from my house last October. I used to be able to do everything in my driveway with all the easy access to water. Problem is now that I live in an appartment and I don't have a self-service wash for about a good 15 miles I had to find detailing services that are worthwhile. About all I can do is change oil, but even that is met with suspicion by the main office. With that in mind I spent the morning visiting local detailers and I think set up something good that get my Camaro ready for camaro5fest.

The afternoon was spent reading up on the manaul for the new Fiesta. I'm using this thing as a commuter car and I did not have a chance to get familar with all the new sensors in recent Ford's. If I listened to what my dealer had to say I would be getting oil changes and tire rotations every 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 like Ford says in the manual. So in the end I'm saving myself a couple bucks on ole 5W20, not too shaby for some light afternoon reading.

Admist all this I have to deal with several issues throughout the day from non-car people. First the girlfriend told me that I needed to get a new hobby and tells me that I spend too much time with my Camaro. Next my co-workers who all travel like I do (30,000 miles plus) start having an arguement on the Blackberry about oil change intervals. Both keep insisting that their respective Altima and Accord need oil changes every 3,000 miles. When I tried to polietly explain that they should review the specs in the manual because the interval could be three times longer than what they were changing it, they thought I'd lost my mind. Next when the neighbor rolls in from work he states to me owning two new cars must be a pain because I have to change the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles. When I try to explain to him the changes improvements in oil and engines the past thirty years you'd swear I was trying challenging his religion or something.

Chalk all this up to people not understanding anything about cars nor wanting to. I get there is a lot of voodoo out there in the car care world but geeze its really bad how lacking even general knowledge is. I've made some headway with my girlfriend to the extent that she now wants a V6 Challenger...not what I was going for but okay... Lets just say its a good thing she has more redeeming qualities like MLB package, NHL Center Ice and Sports Center come to mind . One co-worker insisted on changing his oil every 3,000 miles even after I told him to consult his manual, his money not mine. As for the neighbor, he aborted the shoptalk when it became apparent that he didn't know what he was talking about. Now I grew up in a family that at the very least knew the basics of car care so for me this is all normal, I suspect for many of you it would be also. Is it just me or do some of you feel like the lone sane person left in the world when it comes to your car/cars?
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
This Detroit Diesel 12.7 litre has 430,000 (yup four hundred and thirty thousand) miles on it with oil changes @ 30,000 mile interval since new, I don't think it's ever even had the valve cover off... of course, it holds 40 quarts instead of 6, but yeah, things have changed.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I feel the same way. I'm sick of people telling me that 28 mpg with my supercharged camaro is impossible...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
Lets just say its a good thing she has more redeeming qualities like MLB package, NHL Center Ice and Sports Center come to mind .

so YOU'RE the guy that goes to Coyotes games haha

start bringing your friends.... haha

yeah I hear ya though. Oil companies make a lot of money off peoples ignorance. I'm running Amsoil 0W30 and changing every 12,000-15,000 km's (~7,000-9,000 miles) depending on how hard it's been abused. when I tell people that you'd think I just kicked their dog.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
so YOU'RE the guy that goes to Coyotes games haha

start bringing your friends.... haha

yeah I hear ya though. Oil companies make a lot of money off peoples ignorance. I'm running Amsoil 0W30 and changing every 12,000-15,000 km's (~7,000-9,000 miles) depending on how hard it's been abused. when I tell people that you'd think I just kicked their dog.
Only when the Wings are in town, only when the Wings are in town.....
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
Only when the Wings are in town, only when the Wings are in town.....
Actually I lied this is at the Sabres vs Coyotes game in January.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Lol one of the reasons I left my old girlfriend is that she hated on my car hobby all the time despite that I spent plenty of time on her. If you love someone you shouldnt be hating on their hobby imo.

Fortunately the new one has no problem with my hobby!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
I feel the same way. I'm sick of people telling me that 28 mpg with my supercharged camaro is impossible...
I'm sick of people period
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
The Best Advice

The best advice is simple:

1) Don't drain your precious energy discussing/debating your personal choices with other people.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
The oil change thing just stems from habit. My dad still changes the oil in our cars every 3,000 miles even though the Envoy/Malibu will both yell at you once they want an oil change.

Some people are just set in their ways and nothing's going to change that.