Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Just ran sea foam through and wow!!

I put half in the the brake booster and half in the gas tank. Car ran really rough after sitting for ten minutes. It was putting out white smoke of course. Now I drove it down the road (40 MPH) and the engine was so rough and white smoke was billowing out leaving a smoke screen for about a mile. The car had no power at all. At those point the engine light was on and flashing and the exhaust sounded weird.. I turned onto the highway (smoke now minimum ) and tried to accelerate but it was bogged down. Then like a flip of a light switch I was thrown back in my seat as the power came back, CEL went out and everything was normal. Back at home (5 miles later) parking there was still some smoke so I took it back out. Is all this normal? I was super shocked at the quantity of smoke and thickness. Cars going the other way had to slow down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Please be kidding.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Please be kidding.
Ummm? No...? :( should I be worried? Did I do something wrong?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
You don't put anything in the gas tank except gas. You need a tow to a GM dealer.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
The heavy white smoke is normal. Never experienced major power loss when doin it. Why are you doing it on a new car? That's the kind of thing you do on older stuff 10 years+
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I hydrolocked an engine in the past and it let out plenty of white smoke too.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

My car has 50k miles on it. It runs great so I don't think I need a tow. My wife's Nissan ran rough too until it all ran though.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

There are lots of posts on here about peeps using it. Also I just filled her up and broke loose sideways pretty good when I accelerated moderately. New tires on it to (200 miles). So I think she's running great.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
timon2wheels

Drives: 2010 2LT RS victory red
Half in the brake booster?!?
timon2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
One thing peoples usually do with seafoam is to run it through the gas tank, so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised Plus it's 100% petrolium so it's definitely safe to use.

there are actually many many peoples on this forum who faithfully run seafoam through the gas tank every oil change. Now one thing I and most peoples will not agree with is the use of seafoam to clean out the oil system. Seafoam is all liquid so you do need to becareful when using, but as long as you follow proper direction and pour in small amount at a time into the booster you should be fine. There was actually a top engine cleaner that foams called mopar combustion chamber cleaner or MCCC that everyone praised and recommended as being one of the best but unfortunately it's discontinued. Another cleaner that I am going to try next is by amsoil called power foam. I heard that it works very well. It also foams as soon as you spray so hydrolocking should be impossible.

I ran some seafoam through the gas tank to clean out my fuel system and injectors and also did top engine cleaning through the booster. Same as the op, it smoked profusely to a point where I had to pull over and find a side road with no cars. After I changed my oil as recommended I felt my car feel much much better. The response was better and the idle was much smoother.

Seafoam does it's job and been that way as long as I could remember. As long as you follow direction as you would with any other cleaner brand and type and use it properly anyone should be fine.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
I run seafoam. Very happy with it. OP you might want to check out YouTube for videos on how most do the procedure. I would not drive the car unti the procedure was complete. Normally I run it through the front PVC connection not the brake booster.

This helps ensure a more even distribution to all cylinders. Once the product is "in" ( this is the procudeure part ) shut the engine off for a few minutes. Then let the engine idle until the smoke has cleared. Normally you will see no CEL if done per instructions.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
I run seafoam. Very happy with it. OP you might want to check out YouTube for videos on how most do the procedure. I would not drive the car unti the procedure was complete. Normally I run it through the front PVC connection not the brake booster.

This helps ensure a more even distribution to all cylinders. Once the product is "in" ( this is the procudeure part ) shut the engine off for a few minutes. Then let the engine idle until the smoke has cleared. Normally you will see no CEL if done per instructions.
So was I suppose to let it idle until no more smoke?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Generally speaking, yes I believe that is the process. Getting it in the system is the big to-do; requires two people.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Yeah, Sea Foam will make a lot of smoke. It could last a good half hour in some cases. Not sure why you would do it unless the engine was running poorly beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timon2wheels View Post
Half in the brake booster?!?
That's how you get it into the engine. You disconnect the vacuum line to the power brake booster, and slowly pour it into the vacuum line, letting the engine suck it into the intake manifold.

Last edited by fielderLS3; 04-07-2012 at 08:27 PM.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote