Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #1975
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
There's a few of these guys in this thread.
Attached Images

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #1976
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Nice ride too^
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #1977
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #1978
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
There's a few of these guys in this thread.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #1979
97SS

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
This thread is getting a bit testy. I say if you do not have one of these cars leave it alone. I have a ZL1 and it happens to be my 3rd 5th Gen Camaro, and by far my favorite. I prefer it over the Mustang, as I have stated. BUT, I do think the Mustang is a very cool car. I would never deny that, ever. I do think there is way too much talking here ahead of actually seeing a real on track comparison.

I have a friend of mine that has an 07 Shelby GT500. We met up at a local cruise night last evening. He was gawking at my car so I threw him the keys and said "let's go." He loved it and wants to buy one. This guy is a car guy but has had lots of Mustangs. His current 07 puts down 680 HP to wheels. He threw me his keys when we got back from the drive in my ZL1. I threw them back to him and said "no, you drive. I want to feel what this thing has got." And.....unreal is all I can say. Maybe one of the fastest cars that I have ever been in. This car puts down about 80 HP more to the wheels than the 2013. I figure my ZL1, being a manual, puts down about 510-520 at the wheels. No matter what, the 2013 Shelby is a real performer. Kudos to those that have one. I am sure it is an awesome car.
97SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #1980
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
What I don't understand is how the Camaro people are being called out for saying the ZL1 will probably be better on the track. The Ford people are saying that doesn't matter.

But the GT500 being faster in the 1/4 is like the holy grail.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1981
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
What I don't understand is how the Camaro people are being called out for saying the ZL1 will probably be better on the track. The Ford people are saying that doesn't matter.

But the GT500 being faster in the 1/4 is like the holy grail.
I don't know ,but what that's car in your sig? That's not a 79 front end ,but it look like an anniversary edition paint scheme.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #1982
shank0668

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I don't know ,but what that's car in your sig? That's not a 79 front end ,but it look like an anniversary edition paint scheme.
Photoshop. I have a Tenth Anniversary Trans am project... its a 79. I want to change the bumpers and put an ls1 in it (original motor gone)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #1983
shank0668

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Might need to scrap the LS1 idea and go with a 400ci stroker with a blower to keep up with these new cars
Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #1984
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Originally Posted by tt335ci03cobra
I've heard enough from this guy. Just reading from page 90-97, I got that lowdown is mental and deranged. Funny I had a feeling earlier but now there's no doubt in my mind.

I like both cars but am obviously a ford fan [true, dat] as I have an 03 cobra that's very built up. I've staked my cash on the line and proof trumps eloquence. I like the zl1 a lot but plan to buy a gt500 all said and done. I've done enough research and am now decided. I was debating both but that time is done for me. $55k is too much to throw out without seeing reviews of both even though I am a foes fan. Above all I'm a realist and want bang for my buck.

True facts lowdown has muddled:

-It does 202 in any coupe configuration.

Now confirmed, personally, through SVT, and stated here.

-A zl1 is not 54,995 base out the door though. It must be acquired with a mandatory $1,300-2,600* option. This option is the gas guzzler tax.

-base to base the gt500 is $1,000 cheaper because of out the door gas guzzler tax. Sorry but you lose, have lost and can't win the 61k argument so please stop spewing rhetoric, uploading dead articles from February, and vehemently voicing what is and can only be your opinion.

Sanctioned by Mustang News...apparently a source of Ford disinformation, something others want to take Settlemire to task for, even though he has stated nothing false. You have a beef with Mustang News, not me...

-Also factor that 14/16 mileage will cost you much more per year to put 5,000 miles on vs the gt500's 15/24. That's 50% better freeway mileage. At $4.00 a gallon this is a huge compromise. If anyone really plans to buy these cars only to drive in the city and avoid highways, so be it, most won't.

I'm sure mpgs will win over all manner of salivating Stang studs...and BTW, I have never broached the mpg deal...not once...

-where is the 202mph option for a zl1?

Never said there was...more rhetoric/pot-stirring you share.

-where is the 600whp option? Zl1's are making 485whp while the gt500 is making 585-600 time after time.

...to 515...

-where is the navigation option? Awesome reccaro's? (zl1's are nice though) etc? You criticize fords 65k price but I dont see nav or glass roof etc on the zl1's sheets. Let's stay on point with apples to apples bud.

"reccaro's"...are you thinkin' of Rickie Riccardo?...or Recaro, the seat people...?

Not once have I uttered "$65"...more rhetoric...

NAV and glass roof...equates to boulevardier...and you're moanin' about PRICE?

-on that note, where is the shaker 1000 esq option? You ring the fcking price to 65k on fords price it site but fail to realize half those options don't exist on the zl1.

Nice...do you kiss your kids with that mouth, Boulevardier?

I've never been to the Ford site to ring up a $65 price...you have me confused with someone else. Or did a voice in your head tell you this?! Speaking of "mental and deranged"...

All that said, the zl1 is an awesome car, it is a different car than a gt500. Maybe a better handler, but not a faster or quicker car. The zl1 does not make a 2013 a mule buggy handling wise even if it out performs it by a few 10ths on a windy tiny circuit.

Ah...don't give up now? We were just comin' up to the twisty-turnie part of this debate...again...

All said and done its my opinion that both cars are brilliant and you are a fanboy that needs to grow up.

Coming from you, an apparent knower of such things, I'll take your kind words under advisement...

Just to show your true intent here, from Day 1, let me replay your very first post back in February...

I'm a ford guy obviously. That said I want the zl1 to be awesome so ford will improve improve the gt500. Competition breeds awesomeness as we all are seeing. 580hp Camaro? Awesome, magnetic ride? Incredible. Just what competition is all about.

The zl1 has the potential to be a serious contender, especially once some initial tweaks and bugs get worked out and the car evolves. We all know the 2007 gt500 was just ok in bone stock trim but now that 4 years have passed, the 2011 svtpp is quite a good value. I hope the same for the zl1. Maybe 4 years from now, as an automotive society, we'll have mid to low 11 second, 1g+, super muscle cars in the form of insane zl1 and gt500 offerings-hell maybe even an sc'd challenger/charger too, that would be great.

Now that all said, I have to be totally honest.

The op's title and first post really made me scratch my head. I signed up just to say he probably should keep those opinions to himself because he's single handedly fueling the fires on other sites to label camaro5 as a bad site.

I'm no band wagon junkie but half the stuff he said wasn't very well founded. Do this site a solid and put a grain of thought into your posts. Your making these guys look bad.

(I'm guessing I'll get an instant ban but it's obvious I mean the best, do as you will)

Your words?

Right from post #1, you joined to put us poor unknowing Camaro comrades in our place...right? Not as a Camaro comrade, but as a Camaro commando...right?

In the month of May you have LIVED (all but 3 posts) on this thread...and have waited to ambush someone (again) with unsubstantiated statements you have erroneously attributed to me. I'm capable of messin' up enough things all on my own without someone of your ilk assisting me..and I have corrected myself, as well, given the chance to.

Review MY post history...and you will find, as I have stated in RED above, that you, sir, have the veracity of a tomcat...and the potty-lickin' mouth to go with it. That's NOT rhetoric, sir, those are FACTS.

In the immortal words of Fez, "Good Day!"
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #1985
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt335ci03cobra View Post
Damn, that's much higher than I remembered, thanks for the info. Again I like the zl1 a lot but the gt500 just hits the right buttons for me personally.
And the reverse is true for most everyone on this site

I think anyone that can think objectively would agree that:

It's amazing what Ford has done with the GT500
It's amazing what Chevy has done with the ZL1
Anyone who owns either is going to be more than happy with their choice

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the GT500. I've also always just gravitated towards Chevy sports cars and they will most likely remain my top pick. But.....if I had the $$$$ you can bet I'd have a GT500 right next to my ZL1
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #1986
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Gotta bring up something here. Keep reading the Camaro is better looking. More modern, sure, good looking maybe even but better looking? That's subjective. And every G5 Camaro looks the same...pretty much. At least with Mustangs there is a variance in the styling. I'd consider a Camaro, but just one. Whereas I'd have both a '12 and 13 Boss or Shelby. Just saying. But then again I have nearly 20 Fender Stratocasters and other than colour they all pretty much look identical.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #1987
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
No. It's a 662 hp car - as validated on engine dyno with SAE certification.

From SAE:
"To tout power and torque ratings as "SAE-certified," engine manufacturers must have an SAE qualified witness watch over the entire testing procedure to ensure that it is conducted in conformity to SAE standard J1349."
it might or might not be 662hp at the crank but we know its a legit 600+rwhp car. ZR1's only typically dyno 530-540rwhp so the GT500 is extremely efficient at putting it down to the wheels it seems
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #1988
97SS

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
More modern, sure, good looking maybe even but better looking? That's subjective. And every G5 Camaro looks the same...pretty much. At least with Mustangs there is a variance in the styling. I'd consider a Camaro, but just one. Whereas I'd have both a '12 and 13 Boss or Shelby. .
x100
97SS is offline   Reply With Quote