Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
jayscamaro
Banned

Drives: 2012 camaro 1LT
any legit reviews and number on the 2012 v6 lfx?

Is there any numbers or improvements on the 2012 ? LIKE THE ZERO TO SIXTY?etc
jayscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
It's a difference of 11 hp and some weight savings.

And not only that, but the 11 hp is at the crank which means only like 7-8 of that hp is added to the wheels.

The zero to sixty will be pretty much the exact same. It would be stretching to say that the new engine causes the v6 to be more than 0.1 sec faster 0 to 60.

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 05-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Fiveg56

Drives: -
The engine is 20lbs ligher also...helps with a more balanced feel to the car. It's a better engine by any measure, but I agree though, wouldn't think there'd be much of a difference in 0-60.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Apparantly torque rating is the same, but it peaks just a bit earlier in the rpm range than the LLT. Also the engine is about 20lbs lighter as some have pointed out. I've heard some owners so they felt like they sounded more smooth than the LLT.

With the change to the intake manifold and the integrated exhausts it is the better engine, ever so slight as it is....but I can't see there being much of a performance improvment. The improvement would be very little.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Could this 2012 engine be enough of a departure from the old one that it's considered, "new?" I was always told to never buy something at the beginning of its developmental cycle. (though I still own one) Sounds like it's...evolving but I worry a bit about squeezing so much power out of a smaller power plant. I mean, I get economy / performance but in my feeble mind I'd rather see a bigger motor working less. (but I couldn't afford it:()
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Its 11 hp. Drag racing rule of thumb says that might be worth about a tenth in the 1/4.

As for the weight savings, yes the new engine is lighter. But there has also been quite a bit added to the car since it was introduced 3 years ago. Most, if not all, of the weigh savings would have been negated by things like the backup sensors & other little things. Either way ... its 20 lbs on a ~3800 lb car. Its not going to change things very much.

If some magazine were to test it, I bet any difference in results could be just as easily attributed to the location, conditions, and driver as the car itself.

There were more substantial mechanical changes (the new FE4 suspension) made to the 2012 SS & no magazine has felt the need to re-test them. They're not going to spend a day or so doing a full instrumented test of a Camaro (or set of Camaros) if there isn't really anything different from the last time they tested one. Best chance would be if they were to bring one along as part of a comparison test. Against the revised Genesis Coupe or the new BRZ, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Could this 2012 engine be enough of a departure from the old one that it's considered, "new?" I was always told to never buy something at the beginning of its developmental cycle. (though I still own one) Sounds like it's...evolving but I worry a bit about squeezing so much power out of a smaller power plant. I mean, I get economy / performance but in my feeble mind I'd rather see a bigger motor working less. (but I couldn't afford it:()
The changes made pretty much only affect how air flows into the engine, and how the exhaust flows out. Most (if not all) of the moving mechanical bits are still the same so it should be just as reliable as the old LLT

As for worrying about working a small engine hard ... remember, you're not using all 300+ hp all the time. Usually you'll probably only be using maybe 50 hp, and under 'moderate' acceleration it probably won't be making more than perhaps 150 hp. And, for one last little piece of info to put you at ease, there have been plenty of bigger vehicles using smaller engines & they've (mostly) lived a long and happy life. Think of all the 4 cylinder minivans, midsize crossovers, and light pickup trucks buzzing around out there. Or, thinking of it another way ... the Camaro is the smallest vehicle in the GM lineup (I think) that uses the LFX V6 (same story the LLT before it). If they're stout enough for use in big crossovers or police vehicles, the Camaro shouldn't overburden it
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
unkillsam

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its 11 hp. Drag racing rule of thumb says that might be worth about a tenth in the 1/4.

As for the weight savings, yes the new engine is lighter. But there has also been quite a bit added to the car since it was introduced 3 years ago. Most, if not all, of the weigh savings would have been negated by things like the backup sensors & other little things. Either way ... its 20 lbs on a ~3800 lb car. Its not going to change things very much.

If some magazine were to test it, I bet any difference in results could be just as easily attributed to the location, conditions, and driver as the car itself.

There were more substantial mechanical changes (the new FE4 suspension) made to the 2012 SS & no magazine has felt the need to re-test them. They're not going to spend a day or so doing a full instrumented test of a Camaro (or set of Camaros) if there isn't really anything different from the last time they tested one. Best chance would be if they were to bring one along as part of a comparison test. Against the revised Genesis Coupe or the new BRZ, for example.

The changes made pretty much only affect how air flows into the engine, and how the exhaust flows out. Most (if not all) of the moving mechanical bits are still the same so it should be just as reliable as the old LLT

As for worrying about working a small engine hard ... remember, you're not using all 300+ hp all the time. Usually you'll probably only be using maybe 50 hp, and under 'moderate' acceleration it probably won't be making more than perhaps 150 hp. And, for one last little piece of info to put you at ease, there have been plenty of bigger vehicles using smaller engines & they've (mostly) lived a long and happy life. Think of all the 4 cylinder minivans, midsize crossovers, and light pickup trucks buzzing around out there. Or, thinking of it another way ... the Camaro is the smallest vehicle in the GM lineup (I think) that uses the LFX V6 (same story the LLT before it). If they're stout enough for use in big crossovers or police vehicles, the Camaro shouldn't overburden it
Now that the Impala has the LFX it qualifies as the lightest.
unkillsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
The Impala also uses a 2.44 axle ratio, which is nuts.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Jonzmaro

Drives: 2013 RS M6
For the record, The Impala's LFX is NOT rated at 323HP. The only LFX equipped car that has the 323 output is, the Camaro.
  • 300 horsepower (224 kW) at 6,800 rpm – Buick LaCrosse with dual exhaust
  • 292 horsepower (218 kW) at 6,800 rpm – Buick LaCrosse with single exhaust
  • 318 horsepower (237 kW) at 6,800 rpm – Cadillac CTS
  • 300 horsepower (224 kW) at 6,800 rpm – Cadillac SRX
  • 323 horsepower (241 kW) at 6,800 rpm – Chevrolet Camaro
  • 287 horsepower (214 kW) at 6,800 rpm – Chevrolet Impala
  • 264 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm) at 4,400 rpm – Buick LaCrosse with dual exhaust
  • 259 lb.-ft. of torque (351 Nm) at 5,200 rpm – Buick LaCrosse with single exhaust
  • 275 lb.-ft. of torque (373 Nm) at 4,900 rpm – Cadillac CTS
  • 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm) at 3,200 rpm – Cadillac SRX
  • 278 lb.-ft. of torque (377 Nm) at 4,900 rpm – Chevrolet Camaro
  • 258 lb.-ft. of torque (350 Nm) at 4,400 rpm – Chevrolet Impala
Data from GM's white-sheet on the LFX.

Last edited by Jonzmaro; 06-01-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Jonzmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
jayscamaro
Banned

Everyone tells me the v6 is slow lol. My friend showed me that camrys accords and other family cars run similar 0-60. Lol I really don't care, but I do wish it would hit 60 a bit faster lol
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
lod01

Drives: 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscamaro View Post
Everyone tells me the v6 is slow lol. My friend showed me that camrys accords and other family cars run similar 0-60. Lol I really don't care, but I do wish it would hit 60 a bit faster lol
Just tell them that if you wanted to drive around in an egg, you would have bought a camry.
lod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
It's unfortunate, but MotorTrend said in their most recent issue with the 6 car under $28k comparison with the Mustang, BRZ, and Genesis Coupe, that they tried to get a new V6 Camaro, but Chevy didn't have any available at the time.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayscamaro View Post
I wonder ... how many have ever wished that their car wouldn't hit 60 as fast?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
jayscamaro
Banned

Lol. It's still a fun car.