Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Anyone else think this new muscle car is kind of a scam?

I have a 2ss, love it. But besides that, I think these car companies, whether together or not, are just playing a game with consumers.

First Camaro comes out, high end is an SS, how many people love camaros and want to buy them because theyve been gone for a while.

They dont put out the convertible yet.

Then next year they put out the vert, how many people are like "dam now they gott a convertible, i HAVE to have it, and trade their ss for a vert.

Then they come out with the ZL1, how many people, whether they have done it or not, want to trade their ss and or Vert for a ZL1, I know i wouldnt mind it.

On top of that, although the ZL1 is a beast, it doesnt even compare to the GT500, its more comparable to the BOSS, thats not what Chevys about.

But just wait, theyll come out with a ZL1 next year that will be better and faster, then all the first ZL1 owners will want an upgrade.

In a couple of years well see a Z/28, it will be the same thing.

Ford is the same way, theyve been doing it for years, sales dropped off after the introduction of the 99 and up models, so what do they do? Put a supercharger in the Cobra.

Then theres a new/old body style, everyone HAS to have, but no Cobra, just a TRASH GT, then a couple of years later the Shelby GT500 comes out, everyone has to trade up now.

First GT500 was pretty much a joke, they sandbagged it. Then the GT sucks, so they put in a 5.0 to compete with the SS, and put out the Boss 302, 2 more gimmicks to get sales.

At the beginning of the decade they also had the mach 1, and the bullett, neither worthy of any special name plate.

Now, just before they go to the new mustang model they have this ridiculous Shelby out that pretty much beats everything american except for the z06 and zr1s.

Dodge was the same way, lets put out a charger, that blows, everyone wants a charger. Now everyone has a charger, so lets bring out the Challenger, everyone wants a Challenger, but theyre too heavy, so lets put a bigger motor.

Its funny to me, with todays technology they could have produced that Shelby 5 years ago, but they didnt want to. Just like this years ZL1, can you imagine how much theyre holding back? You think Chevy would really lose to the Shelby? Just a ploy.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
CamaroWinz

Drives: 2LT/RS (TBD)
It's called "product lifecycle management". It's not a scam, it's how manufacturers drive sales and generate the income required to innovate.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroWinz View Post
It's called "product lifecycle management". It's not a scam, it's how manufacturers drive sales and generate the income required to innovate.

And its whats wrong with the world today. 75 years ago, it was about helping the consumer and making life easier. Now its about generating money.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Yup. It's not a scam. It's good business in most cases.

Sucks a little yes. But if you wait for the next best thing you'll always be disapointed soon after.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
75 years ago was 75 years ago. World is changing fast.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
While i don't agree. Can you blame them? It is the American way. We see something new and shiny and we must have it. Who can fault a for profit business for catering to this desire.

Ps. The challenger srt is the only one of the 3 that can remotely be called a muscle car. 2dr coupe built on what could have been a 4dr model with a giant engine in it.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I don't see how it's a scam.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
RallySS

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow RS/2SS Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by purv24 View Post
And its whats wrong with the world today. 75 years ago, it was about helping the consumer and making life easier. Now its about generating money.
Nothing wrong with it either, think about how many people gain access to affordable used vehicles because of this who would normally not have the chance as the original owners would just be happy with the original purchase.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
scooter9909

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Obviously you have not owned and run a business. Change drives sales! More sales equals more $$ to invest in making newer/better products.

If there were none of that we would all be driving old black model T's
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Capitalismmzmzzz .
Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
At some point you've got to pull the trigger, so to speak, on something, right? I mean, based on the cars you listed in your OP, I'm not even in the collection of cars you mention. Just a lowly 1LT, and I ain't mad, lol.

I don't see it as a scam rather more than just Coke in the vending machine.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
There have been improvements over the past several years that help the consumer. Quality is vastly superior over only 30 years ago. You didn't get a 60 month loan because chances were it wouldn't last 60 months.

To me it's not a scam, just marketing. If you don't want to participate, then don't buy.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Yup, it's a scam.

p.s. I have a horse and buggy I will sell you at a great price.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Seems to me the only people that might be getting screwed are the people who are constantly trying to "keep up with the Joneses". I know simply by researching there's always some type of media leaked about what's coming out. I knew the ZL1 was coming out when I bought my SS. As much as I like it I knew my main goal was to get back into a Corvette once the C7 comes out (and I wait for them to work the bugs out since every first year vette has been plagued by bugs). So why spend the extra $$ for a ZL1 when the SS will do.

Closed Thread