Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
omar4578

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS- Ashen Gray
cracked glass

hey guys, i was on the free way about a week ago and a medium sized rock hit the windshield and cracked it...its now growing more, little by little...

i contacted my dealer for warranty but they said they could not do anything since the car was not built like that...

i will contact my insurance as soon as i get home...

any advice? how much will it cost to repair if the insurance doesnt want to pay?

i have full coverage...

thanks
omar4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Insurance will pay and typically glass on a full covg vehicle is either $0 deductible or very low. Not a warranty issue at all. Try to get OEM glass.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Yep - not a warranty issue. Regarding insurance it depends on your policy. I refused the windshield rider because it was way too expensive for what it was. Since I don't have the rider it falls under my normal $1k deductible.

However a chip that can be filled is free on my insurance - I had two filled a few years ago on my DD's. Not sure of the OEM replacement cost.

This is an agent question. Good luck - and agree you need OEM.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
In Arizona, it's a must to have the glass coverage. It even covers a headlight assy if it takes a rock (HID's are pricey!). If you have HUD and/or Remote Start, make sure they're aware of it. Those require a specific windshield part number.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I priced on at safelites website for shits and giggles. I think it was 450 for them to come to you and do it. might be a little lower if you took it to them.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Wow, didn't know windshield coverage was an option just thought every state mandated that be covered
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
You probably have full glass coverage and you can get it done gratis.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
if you do not have glass coverage depending up where it is and if you have a good glass shop they can "drill" the ends of the crack to keep it from spreading. Not a hard process and can be used if the crack is not large and will stop it from spreading and does not weaken the glass.
The process is mentioned in this advert for this product but I do not know about this product. My glass shop uses whatever their favorite brand of expoxy is http://www.crackeraser.com/page/1396065
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
One more thing to think about, if you have glass coverage, and use it, it count's as a claim
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Since you live in California your comprehensive coverage will cover it minus your deductible. Just to really make you mad, here in Florida it's a no fault claim on the windshield so it doesn't cost anything.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
One more thing to think about, if you have glass coverage, and use it, it count's as a claim
Negative. I've had at least 6 windshields replaced under glass coverage. It's never counted as a claim, and never increased my rates.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
It just so happens I am work for a glass company. Drilling it won't help and based on the size of the crack you described it should be replaced. Call us at Safelite at 800-800-2727 and we will set you up with an appointment. We can come mobile to you or you can bring it to one of our locations. We use state of the art tools and have certified technicians to make sure it gets done correctly.

Whatever your comprehensive deductible is will determine how much you will pay. If it is less than your comp deductible you will just pay for it out of pocket. This is considered a very minor claim by insurance companies and will likely not impact your rates at all.

PM me if you want more information.

Last edited by Bcarr; 01-13-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
This happened to me as well, i went to Safelite because under my insurance i have full glass coverage. The people at Safelite took the time to sit me down and tell me some bad news. They said because my Camaro has a light green tint to it will still show the crack. They also told me that after they fill in the crack, and i am still unhappy about it, all i have to do is call my insurance company up and tell them i would like to have it replaced. Well after they finished wouldn't you know it....... i still see that crack, its an eyesore. So come spring ill be giving my insurance company a call, and the guys at Safelite also told me to ask for there best guy, because removing the glass is a pain..... and remember to demand for OEM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
Since you live in California your comprehensive coverage will cover it minus your deductible. Just to really make you mad, here in Florida it's a no fault claim on the windshield so it doesn't cost anything.
In Florida it covers all glass I believe. Just had a family member have a sunroof break by debris on the interstate. Covered for free.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote