Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Invent1

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Help with interior lighting!

Im not the most tech savy person but if I could see a thorough guide or something I would most likely be able to do it.. Ive had these lights sitting in my trunk for about 2 months and cant figure it out.. I refuse to pay to have them install as I wish to learn more about the car.. If someone could please give me a guide preferably one for dummies that would be great!
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Pictures of your lights? What are they? Where do you want to put them?
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Invent1

Sorry.. shouldve been more specific.. Theyre led glow's under the dash lights. I can probably grab a picture of them tomorrow. Dont feel like walking to the car right now lol
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
The MOAC

Drives: IBM 2011 2SS/RS
I had red LED strips in the footwells and they looked really good. i had them wired to where they were always on though (not sure if that is what you would want). I ran the wires to the 12v plug in the console and tapped into those.
Attached Images

The MOAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Invent1

I wanted them hooked to the dome lights but honestly at this point ill hook them anywhere lol. And another question. Did u hook yours to your fuse box? cause i see people tying them up underneath the gas pedal or something. Thats the part where im getting confused. and theres no video guides online of people installing them on a camaro. Or if there is im not finding it
Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I don't know if it applies to the 2012s, but I know on the 2010s there are unused electrical sockets for such an application. From what I understand, the cars were going to have footwell lighting as an option, but Chevrolet decided to not do it at all to save costs. Again though, don't know if these are still existent in 2012 and up models.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

What you want to do is really quite simple. To have the lights come on with the dome light, you need to tap into the gray wire in the gray connector in the BCM; which is the connector assembly above the accelerator pedal - nearest to the firewall. It is a PITA to lay on your back and get up in there with a tap. An alternate location is supposed to be under the passenger side kick panel; locate the wide connector with the release lever, and find wire A7 which is the dome light power. Either one of these is for +, - can go to one of the bolts under the center console side trim pieces near the front.

For constant power, tap into the green wire that runs behind the center console. This is also for +. I have both options in my set-up, and the lights can come on with the dome - be off separately - or come on by themselves. The circuit they get power from only works when the keys are in the ignition; so no worries about draining the battery.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
ZeuSS2011

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS / Black 2013 ZL1
ZeuSS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

^ That's it. My lights are wired with parallel circuits, and I used both grounds shown in the video. If any of my lights die, the rest will continue to light. I also added a fuse to the line from the gray dome wire; because if something happened and the BCM got fried that is not good.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Invent1

Couldn't exactly find a t tap. But I have something similar I'm hoping it will work. As of right now I'm wedging myself in between my seat and steering wheel. Not the most comfortable place to be in 97 degree weather
Old 08-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Invent1

UPDATE: Got the lights to work!!

I hooked them up to the dome light wire and everything is running fine but I really didnt think it through and as soon as I turned the car on and closed the door the lights shut off.. Yes I know... Thats what the dome light does... But is there any way that I can keep these lights hooked to the same wire and keep them running while the car is on?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Invent1

But since i have everything wired in I rather not take it out. What would I have to do to split the wire to the green wire without removing everything again?

And this green wire is the one taped up behind the side panels by the cup holders? If not I have not the slightest idea
Old 08-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Invent1

UPDATE: I hooked them up and im happy with it. I disconnected the original tap to the grey dome wire then used the green wire in the center console. This was alot easier and shuts on and off when the key is in and out of the ignition. I Think im going to make a guide for dummies so more people like me could understand how to do it.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Cool! I'm glad that I could help. It is nice to have both power options, but you will need a switch if you want to go that route. Here's the one that I used: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=060-780

You can see where I mounted it in my mod thread.