Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #29
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
L99 vs. LS3 in bumper to bumper / stop and go traffic need I say more
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #30
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Auto vs Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebumble View Post
Manual is great when you are young until you figure out that you can have a lot more fun with the pretty lady sitting next to you while not having to shift constantly...

Then you get older and so does she and boy that manual sure is fun again... then again, she still is too.

So you choose... fast car over a fast girl or do you want both and do you want to play with both at the same time.
Guess my women has always been a good multi taskers! Just tell her what gear ya want!!
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #31
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Guess my women has always been a good multi taskers! Just tell her what gear ya want!!

Well that's easy, her hands are free for "shifting".
Old 09-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #32
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
L99 vs. LS3 in bumper to bumper / stop and go traffic need I say more
This what I was going to say.
Get stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam and then decide.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #33
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
I keep hearing this over and over so I'll just ask...Please explain how you feel more in control with a manual.
As good as AT shift programming has become, it's still based on somebody else's idea of when the shifts should be made and how firmly they are to be accomplished. These days, there is a fuel economy agenda built in to AT programming (think slightly earlier upshifts under some conditions) that is obviously absent with manual transmissions.

For me anyway, it doesn't even matter if/when the that other person's (committee's ?) shift programming might be better than my own natural shift timing - that it's still going to be a little different most of the time is what can make this a little like having a tiny grain of sand in your shoe that you can't find. Just a constant irritation and a reminder that I'm not the only one driving my car.

I doubt it possible to develop a "learning" mode for automatic transmission shifting that could accurately anticipate the way I'd naturally execute the next upshift or downshift sequence. The best it could ever do is react to what it thinks I might be up to, and many times it will guess wrong. Guaranteed (even I can't make that sort of prediction with anything approaching certainty).

Manually shifting an automatic doesn't feel or behave the same - it will be modified by what you're doing with the throttle in ways that a MT cannot be.

Consider this . . . I doubt many AT drivers are aware that it is possible to rev-match a manually commanded AT downshift and avoid the forward lurch that otherwise occurs, but it absolutely is possible. However, your own timing of what to do with your right foot is much more critical than it is with a conventional MT, else you'll lurch forward anyway if you kick the gas too late, or backward if you kick the gas too soon. Remember that you don't have clutch pedal modulation available to smooth out any minor timing or rpm errors from what you did with the throttle.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #34
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Buying an automatic V8 camaro is like buying a Ferrari without an engine. I have had both. I had one automatic Formula and three or four manual Trans Ams. The manuals were always more fun. The times Chevy lists in their brochures shows the manual being slightly quicker if that means anything to you. I'f i drove in constant stop and go traffic, I may prefer an automatic but thankfully my drive is not too bad. Drive both and see which one you like.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #35
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
The simple fact is: A bone stock L99 vs bone stock LS3, same body type, equally matched drivers, standing 1/4 mile... L99 wins.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #36
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
[QUOTE=Norm Peterson;7009434]

I doubt it possible to develop a "learning" mode for automatic transmission shifting that could accurately anticipate the way I'd naturally execute the next upshift or downshift sequence. The best it could ever do is react to what it thinks I might be up to, and many times it will guess wrong. Guaranteed (even I can't make that sort of prediction with anything approaching certainty).

/QUOTE]

The A6 trans don't "learn" your personal driving habits, but they do have Adaptive programing. Granted there are preset limits to the programing, but the harder you drive them in Sport mode the programing will adjust itself. When you are pushing it, it will hold gears longer and shift harder, and try to predict what your next move will be and try to adjust itself. That's what all the preloading the fluids for the next gear is all about in the 6L90e used in the ZL1.

So I have read ... And the A6 in the ZL1 acts a lot different than the programing in the SS.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #37
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
... And the A6 in the ZL1 acts a lot different than the programing in the SS.
I'm thinking the A6 in the ZL1 doesn't have AFM interfering with it's performance.

Driving a A6 SS in Sport Mode totally changes the feel and performance vs. Drive Mode. Installing a Range AFM Deactivator device eliminates AFM completely.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #38
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
The simple fact is: A bone stock L99 vs bone stock LS3, same body type, equally matched drivers, standing 1/4 mile... L99 wins.
Very true, but at the same time, the way the ls3 feels is so much different.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #39
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Very true, but at the same time, the way the ls3 feels is so much different.
Of course... and I totally understand the joy of shifting. I drove manuals for many years (both floor and column). I'm just a little defensive when folks imply automatics are something less than manly. So, I always like to reply with the A6 beats M6 in 1/4 mile argument which, I guess would imply... losing is more manly than winning.

Just kidding around
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #40
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Of course... and I totally understand the joy of shifting. I drove manuals for many years (both floor and column). I'm just a little defensive when folks imply automatics are something less than manly. So, I always like to reply with the A6 beats M6 in 1/4 mile argument which, I guess would imply... losing is more manly than winning.

Just kidding around
Totally agree, that's why I have an auto.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #41
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
It all comes down to preference, your skill level, and what you want out of your car. Are you skilled at driving and shifting? Do you want to drag race or autocross? Do you want bragging rights? Do you just want to have fun?

I have a manual, and this is my first daily driver that is a stick so my shifting skills aren't the greatest yet. I'm sure I would get beat by an automatic. I also drive in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic frequently. That said, I still wouldn't trade by stick for an automatic. I drove my father in law's Camaro for a couple of days. His is a V6 RS like mine, but his is an auto. It completely changes the character of the car. I felt like I was driving any old car with his, it took the fun and the character out of the experience. I suppose if you had the V8 it would make up for some of it, but for me it killed the Camaro experience.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #42
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Not according to the chevy brochure....for whatever that's worth.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote