Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #71
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph09 View Post
So I have a automatic SS and I usually get a hard time from people about not having a manual. Is there a big difference between difference especially in regards to performance?

No,just preference.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #72
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I think this post again, got Waaaaaaaaaaay off topic.
Ummmm . . . "especially in regards to performance" does not disqualify all of the detours this thread has taken (or may still take). All it does is establish the primary area of interest. Doesn't tie anybody to discussing that only.

Getting a hard time from those who prefer the conventional manual transmission is almost never about the hard numbers, so perhaps we need to look at the term "performance" as having subjective implications separate from that.

Subjective = a pretty individual thing = really no wrong answers here unless you bought what you bought against your preference without good reason and end up with a case of buyer's regret. Being secure enough in your decisions to not be second-guessing them later goes a long way.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #73
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
It is the major drawback I believe.
True, but it's a great workout. I love to show off my muscular left leg.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #74
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
All cars have steering wheels, brake and gas pedals.

The true Zen lies in a 60MPH, second gear downshift punch 'n' pass, screaming engine, and neck-snapping acceleration that can only be had with a manual. It's not just the act of doing it; it's the thrill of successfully pulling off shifting maneuvers that no automatic is capable of. It's the control of when, where, and how...maybe even, "if".

A manual only does what you tell it to. There are no electronic "brains" to override your decision. That's what does it for me. Well, that plus 2nd, 3rd, and occasionally 4th gear rubber. Video pending.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #75
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
I always buy the largest, most powerful, engine that's readily available. Normally I pay extra for that, but when I found out that on this car that choice was going to save me $1195, it became a no-brainer for me and I've never looked back. If GM had built a LS3/auto Camaro, I'd probably be driving one. But since they forced me into it, it's brought back all my teenage memories of just how much fun a stick is to drive. Now that I've got long-tubes, CAI, and a tune, it's an absolute hoot and I wouldn't have it any other way!
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #76

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It was sort of a pleasant surprise to see manuals in these cars at all....thought it was sort of ironic that automatic was the "option" instead of the other way around....
...Thought it was kind of a throw-back to old four speed days...(even though they're six speed...lol)...No matter, all good.....Manuals aren't what they used to be, neither are automatics....Can't go wrong either way....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #77
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
I want a PDK after driving my good friends Turbo S. Any chance GM ever gets around to having great German/Italian autos and AWD in the Vettes and Camaros? No comparison.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #78
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Well I drive an auto and I can answer this. When you are driving your auto and getting to cruising speed but see someone come into your lane, you car will most likely shift up on its own, putting you into a higher gear either making it harder to speed up or slow down or stop. That split second it takes to downshift can be all that it takes. I always drive in manual mode and it takes forever to down shift. You can down shift and watch it go to M2 to M1, put it to the floor and it takes a second to get moving.
You need a good trans tune.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #79
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
I test drove the auto SS and the manual SS before I ended up with my LS3. I could feel a significant difference in power and just a better connection with the car in general. The L99 was awesome, don't get me wrong. But the LS3 is what made me have to have one. Just my opinion.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #80
bdrobLS3

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SSRS Manual Coupe
Send a message via AIM to bdrobLS3
I believe the statement "VS" pitting two styles of transmission does not do justice to either of them. I have an M6 because I want one, same I imagine as people that have an A6. its what you wanted for YOUR style of driving. last time I checked when I bought my car was not for anyones approval. It was also not so anyone else could choose to shift or not to shift. Its my damn car I dont see how this is VS anything its a "boxers or briefs" arguement, let your desire of application and personal likings be the deciding factor not the "popular opinion on whats "manly" Men make decisions for themselves. Thats what I believe is manly.
bdrobLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #81
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrobLS3 View Post
its a "boxers or briefs" arguement.
Boxer-briefs FTW
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #82
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2013 View Post
My 2013 Camaro SS is an auto. My Challenger SRT8 392 was a stick but it's gone now. I get the "old school" mentality of rowing thru the gears but cars now a days are going automatic transmission. Look at the Porsche 911. Look at Ferrari. Even my SRT8 392 was as much as .4 - .5 faster in the auto version. It may well be more enjoyable to drive a manual but you will see less and less of them as the years go by and technology improves even more. To think someone is less "manly" because they drive an automatic is pretty juvenile in my opinion.
Correction: The supercars that you have mentioned have "automated manual shifting". They are not automatics. Big difference.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe, MMR 228 Z28 replica wheels.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #83
SSpade22

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (Twin Turno 418)
Here is a better question….. How many times have you heard an automatic owner use the excuse “I missed 3rd and that’s why you beat me”? You haven’t, and you won’t.

As for your buddies giving you a hard time…..I know a handful of people that are die hard manual car fans. No matter what car you drive if it is an automatic, they won’t look twice at it. Those people are just rock heads, and not “car enthusiasts”.

Example, I own a Porsche 911 Turbo S. 550hp AWD automatic. I take it to car meets around town and always get a ton of spectators and there are always a hand full of so called “car enthusiasts” that I over hear saying “oh, but it’s an automatic”. I can’t help but laugh at the ignorance. Most of the time its envy and they are just trying to downgrade something awesome because they don’t have it.
Power-gilde transmision
LSA WCCH Ported Heads 1400hp Axle Shafts DSS
FORE Dual pump FIC 2000cc Injectors
Twin Garrett 53s
SSpade22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #84
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
All that ↑↑↑ is . . . is it's not the way they'd choose their Turbo S to be equipped if they had a choice in the matter. Nothing more than perhaps reaction to the unexpected.

Kind of the flip side of my wife's occasional experiences driving "the girls" out at lunch when one of the others notices that she's doing all that shifting. For sure unexpected.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote