Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #1
htoniv

Drives: Camaro
Sigh =\ Rear ended another car :(

So while i was leaving class yesterday evening i happen to rear end the car in front of me. It was at very low speeds prob 5-8mph.. and happened within couple of seconds. Not too sure exactly what happened myself as it was heavy traffic, felt like the person stopped and i didn't have enough time to react.

Anyways here are the damages.

After waiting 1.5hrs for the cops to show up, we finally filed the police report and we were on our way -.-.

Anyways This being my first accident, i need some advise on how to handle the situation.
Firstly, how bad does the damage look? Seems like the bumper is the only issue but the hood doesn't seem to be flush as it was before on one side, probably because the bumper was pushed down a bit. Also the Service stabilitrak message keeps coming along with the traction control off and slippery roads i think? And goes off after driving a bit.

What steps do i take next? Call Insurance right away? How bad of a damage does it look like? What should i do about the Stabilitrak? , Any information would be helpful.
htoniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
Call your insurance immediately. They will ask questions about the accident and damage to the car. Most likely your insurance will also be repairing the other guys car. Have your vehicle towed to the dealer/slash body shop of your choice and have them appraise the damage. You don't know what other damage may have been done besides the cosmetic stuff. Depending on your insurance policy the cost of towing, rental vehicle may be included as part of your policy.
31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
htoniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31B View Post
Call your insurance immediately. They will ask questions about the accident and damage to the car. Most likely your insurance will also be repairing the other guys car. Have your vehicle towed to the dealer/slash body shop of your choice and have them appraise the damage. You don't know what other damage may have been done besides the cosmetic stuff. Depending on your insurance policy the cost of towing, rental vehicle may be included as part of your policy.
Thank you for the prompt response,
now i have been driving the car, it seems to drive fine.. other then the service stabiltrak coming on for a 2nd time and staying on for 15 miles, but its off again.Should i stop driving it and ask them to tow or can i bring it to the dealership myself?

Edit:
Also what i noticed today was the car did not go through regular "cold start phase" normally when the car is left lil over 2hrs without being driven it would go through cold start where the engine rpm would be over 1. Today i noticed it did not that after the accident. It went directly to .5
Note: I parked the car at 9:45pm and took it out at 3am. So thats a span of over 5hrs. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
You should ALWAYS contact your insurance company IMMEDIATELY whenever you have damage to your car.

Oh, and don't follow so close. You'll learn - the hard way apparently.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
There are so many threads on here about people getting into accidents and not knowing what to do. How is this even possible? You wreck your car, you call your insurance company. Good luck OP. Don't follow people so close!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
What car did you hit??
Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
What car did you hit??
Looks like he hit a Grand Cherokee SRT8 judging by the exhaust and the bumper.
4B00 - 10/30/13
Arrived at dealer - 11/12/13
Arrived in my garage - 11/15/13
SLP Supercharger, SLP headers, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, 1in Hotchkis Springs, SLP Cold-Air Intake, Painted Chrome Strip, Painted Rear Valance, and more to come soon.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
AztecCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk SS Auto Vert
In my experience that looks a lot faster than 5-8 mph. Your not necessarily 100% at fault. If the other guy breached any duties he owed to you then he could share some negligence
AztecCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
DJR
Racer and Writer

Drives: '12 Summit White ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wocampb View Post
Looks like he hit a Grand Cherokee SRT8 judging by the exhaust and the bumper.
That's one, for sure!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Sigh =\ Rear ended another car :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecCamaro View Post
In my experience that looks a lot faster than 5-8 mph. Your not necessarily 100% at fault. If the other guy breached any duties he owed to you then he could share some negligence
It looks like the car he hit was much taller than his, and if the others are Correct with the Jeep Grand Cherokke SRT8, then Id be correct. If his bumper got caught and forced under the car somehow, It would easily tear it like that. I rear ended someone going like 5 mph and it bent my bumper away from my truck, and broke some sort of tabs and dented the metal on the front of it... So it's not hard To do a lot of damage with such little speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
htoniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
It looks like the car he hit was much taller than his, and if the others are Correct with the Jeep Grand Cherokke SRT8, then Id be correct. If his bumper got caught and forced under the car somehow, It would easily tear it like that. I rear ended someone going like 5 mph and it bent my bumper away from my truck, and broke some sort of tabs and dented the metal on the front of it... So it's not hard To do a lot of damage with such little speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .
It was a Jeep SRT8..

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Call your insurance, you will need a new bumper, grille, possibly absorber, etc. Hood may need aligning or replacement.

How high is your deductible?

Also, the stabilitrak light comes on if you look at the car funny, so there must be a sensor, or something along those lines that any shop can fix.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
htoniv

$500 deduct able i believe..
Hopefully not all that, what from i can see the Top grill looks fine, the lights are working.

Thanks for the input guys i will call my agent on lunch break
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #14
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
There are so many threads on here about people getting into accidents and not knowing what to do. How is this even possible? You wreck your car, you call your insurance company. Good luck OP. Don't follow people so close!
Sometimes you call your insurance company. In this case yes. I'm not advocating breaking the law. In Alabama you are required to file an accident report, aka call the poice, if there is at least $250 in damage. Very few "accidents" come cheaper obviously since if you scuff paint on two cars you've busted that minimum.

But, if it's an extremely minor accident, you know you are at fault and are willing to pay for the other persons car, sometimes you can talk them into a quick settlement, then your rates don't need to go up. Not saying I've have much experience with this.

Swear to God, I have a story for every thing. Years and years ago this guy cut me off in traffic, so I just didn't stop. He pulled into the parking lot after I hit him, I said "Do we need to call the police?" In a very heavy accent he said "No Policia!" That was the end of that. I wonder why he didn't want the police there.