Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #29
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
I am selling my car now. For real world numbers...

Blue book stock :$33,000
Mods done: $22,500
Asking price :$41,500 (until year end, then back up to $43,000)

So that is a substantial loss. Modding is a labor of love. You never get back what you put into it, however it is WELL worth it when you do a reliable and fun build.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #30
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Mods are tricky....it all depends on who the potential buyer is. If you're trying to trade your vehicle in to a dealer, they're gonna want it to be as stock as possible.

Of you're selling it privately, it all depend on the buyer. Some people want mods, other people think mods = the car being beat on.

So try and keep as many stock parts as you can when you start modding.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Mods are tricky....it all depends on who the potential buyer is. If you're trying to trade your vehicle in to a dealer, they're gonna want it to be as stock as possible.

Of you're selling it privately, it all depend on the buyer. Some people want mods, other people think mods = the car being beat on.

So try and keep as many stock parts as you can when you start modding.
Most people think if it has performance mods it was run harder than one without them.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #32
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Just keeping it real - my car with the mods listed plus a few not listed(about 14K invested) is worth not much more than if it were stock. If one needs proof for that just look in the for sale section of this forum. You will see car after car listed for very low prices versus the amount invested and no takers - many are listed for months and have continuous price reductions and still its a "no sale".

Heavily modded cars are hard to sell. I knew that going in so I modded for my personal pleasure with no expectations for an investment return and you should too. That way if you get lucky and find the just right buyer for your modded car - its a bonus.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #33
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Just keeping it real - my car with the mods listed plus a few not listed(about 14K invested) is worth not much more than if it were stock. If one needs proof for that just look in the for sale section of this forum. You will see car after car listed for very low prices versus the amount invested and no takers - many are listed for months and have continuous price reductions and still its a "no sale".

Heavily modded cars are hard to sell. I knew that going in so I modded for my personal pleasure with no expectations for an investment return and you should too. That way if you get lucky and find the just right buyer for your modded car - its a bonus.
+1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
I am selling my car now. For real world numbers...

Blue book stock :$33,000
Mods done: $22,500
Asking price :$41,500 (until year end, then back up to $43,000)

So that is a substantial loss. Modding is a labor of love. You never get back what you put into it, however it is WELL worth it when you do a reliable and fun build.
There isn't a chance in hell that anyone is going to pay more than the price of a brand new 2SS 1LE for a highly modded used car with a blue book value of $33K. I would be impressed if you got $30K for the car. Update us when you sell it.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
I've dumped almost 20,000 dollars into my car not including the cost of the car. That is peanuts to some Members on here. The way I look at it is if I sell my car that will almost be a total wash and a loss. A car is not an investment and the mods you put on your car do not help you much in the long run. You may be able to recoup a little of the aftermarket parts but that is about it. If I were ever going to sell my car I think the best bet would be to try and put it back to 100 percent stock. I think I would get the most money for my car that way and try and part out all of my aftermarket stuff. I'm not saying you cannot sell a modified car, but I do believe you limit the audience of people who want to buy a car that has been tampered with.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #36
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
I've dumped almost 20,000 dollars into my car not including the cost of the car. That is peanuts to some Members on here.
I wouldn't call $20k peanuts at all. That's a lot of frickin money! I've spent a total of $650 modding mine so far - the aftermarket stripes and the CAI. That's peanuts!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
People say cars are not an investment money-wise, which is true. BUT emotional investment if you like cars, hells yeah very good investment in that sense. I can tell you I have made the best decision with car choice because I drive it every single day. Those who do the same will say driving this car is truly an honor. Very well engineered. Look at how many years have passed and people are still drooling over a camaro when they see it in the street. Little kids always stop and point at a camaro, transformers did help but still! lol According to the time I wanted to trade in my car for a stingray a couple months ago I would have lost $20,000 in the trade-in deal. So I kept it and made me justify tons of more modifications

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Mods are only worth $.50 on the dollar and only then if you can take them off and sell them separately as you set your car back to stock.

A modded car can be a good deal if you are buying, as you should not pay any more than a stock car. Many owners are meticulous. You can tell a beat car from a queen. If the car has been modded and the car is still under warranty you need to check for things that kill parts of the warranty like a tune or a cam. A tuned car still under warranty is worth less than a stock car in the same situation even with the stock tune back in place. Buyer beware.

You mod your car for yourself. Enjoy your personalized car for a long time and the $$ will pay you back in enjoyment. If you want an investment buy stocks. But you can lose way more $$ there. I know, I had quite a few GM shares and lost it all when GM went bankrupt.

If you intend to keep your car for five years or more mods are fine. But if you buy a car every two or three years stay away from any mod you can't take off yourself.

Last edited by Fraxum; 12-23-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #39
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Mods are only worth $.50 on the dollar and only then if you can take them off and sell them separately as you set your car back to stock.
This is why i only do bolt-ons.. and most of those I buy used.... not that I ever plan to sell the car... but some day I'll be too old to drive it and will return it to stock and sell it to pay medical bills.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote