Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
SS not worth selling?

I've contemplated selling my 2012 SS, but by looking over on the "for sale" section, it looks like it wouldn't be worth it. I see highly modified, low-mileage Camaros listed for around $30K. Is this really all I could expect to get for a full bolt-on, blown and cammed car? Just with the blower, cam and tires/rims, I've easily put $20K into it, and that's not counting all the other goodies.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Not that it isn't worth it... you are just targeting a very small and select market. Not many people are looking for a heavily modded car. I would go to nationwide ads if I were you (Craig's List, Cars.com, etc.).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Unlike what a kitchen or bathroom remodel does to a value of a house, mods does not always bring up the value to a car but only to a select market.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
You'll never get back out of a car what you put into it, unless it's a highly desired classic or exotic. If you bought the car for $32k and put $20k into it, you certainly won't get $52k out of it. IMHO, you'd be lucky to get $32-38k if it's low miles.
Just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
You will never get back out for what additional you add to the car. Personally, if buying used, I would never buy someone's heavily performance modified car (to me it would be a yellow caution flag that it had been driven hard). If I want it that modified, I'll be doing it myself and picking and choosing which things to do, the parts, the workmanship, and then knowing how it's being or has been driven.

That said, I just sold my 2011 SS for over $30K and it had nothing other than some cosmetics and a CAI.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
It's basically never worth selling a modded car. A heavily modded car is worth basically the same price as it is stock. Sometimes it's worth even less than stock because people know you drove it hard.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
E.T.

Thanks for the input! Sounds like it's not even worth my time to try selling. I love the car, but sometimes I question if it's worth keeping because it's such a garage queen (especially during the winter). Maybe 30 or 40 years from now it'll be a different story If not, I'll still have a sweet ride, but my hair will probably be gray, so it'll be 'vette time, LOL.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Yako

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Unlike what a kitchen or bathroom remodel does to a value of a house, mods does not always bring up the value to a car but only to a select market.
Yep.. people always fail to understand this.
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Yako

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Thanks for the input! Sounds like it's not even worth my time to try selling. I love the car, but sometimes I question if it's worth keeping because it's such a garage queen (especially during the winter). Maybe 30 or 40 years from now it'll be a different story If not, I'll still have a sweet ride, but my hair will probably be gray, so it'll be 'vette time, LOL.
I doubt we will be using gas cars in 40 years.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
The problem with modded cars is that who is doing the mods is as important as who manufactured the mods. A bad installer can screw up the best built supercharger. People just don't want to take a chance and make an expensive mistake.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
I doubt we will be using gas cars in 40 years.
Good point. Maybe it can go to a museum, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
The problem with modded cars is that who is doing the mods is as important as who manufactured the mods. A bad installer can screw up the best built supercharger. People just don't want to take a chance and make an expensive mistake.
Everything I couldn't do myself was done by a very reputable shop, but I hear you on this. I've read a lot of horror stories online.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
That's why dumping money modifying cars is a waste of money. You'll never get it back.

Dumping money in a car is not an investment in most cases.

Modified cars are fun, but it's all a hobby. I learned that early. I leave mine pretty much stock. Just a few cosmetics here and there.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Yako

You might get more money pull the modded parts and selling them then putting the OEM parts back on.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #14
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
You might get more money pull the modded parts and selling them then putting the OEM parts back on.
Bingo.

Most buyers will avoid a modified car over a stock one, whereas the parts are worth $$$$ on CL and classifieds. In the OP's case though, it probably wouldn't be cost effective to swap the cam and components back to stock unless they're doing all the work themselves.

SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote