Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Anyone use real Chamois anymore?

Back in the day, I used to use a chamois to dry my car. It was the real thing, leather, not synthetic. You'd get it wet, wring it out, then wipe the car. Rinse, wring and repeat. It did a great job of drying the car with no water marks or streaks.

Just wondering if anyone still uses this method or if there is a reason not to? I recently used a MM Dry Me Crazy and a few other popular towels. They worked great, but I kind of missed the old shammy.....

Help an old guy out... is the shammy out dated?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I'm there with you man... I remember the old genuine calf skin chamois (shammy) days. It was all I used back in the day. There isn't anything wrong with a chamois per se, but there are some reasons MF has advantages.

Genuine chamois would eventually become less effective. Remember you had to soak them in warm soapy water before the first use to get all the excess oil out? They were impregnated with fish oil (cod liver) and thats what kept them soft and gave them that slippery feel. With each wash you lost some of it until it got too brittle to keep using. Microfiber will last many times over what a chamois would with proper care and doesn't get less effective with time.

Theres also the move towards using a drying agent (detail spray or other lubrication while you dry to make it easier, faster, prevent spots and swirls) A chamois will not be able to pick up the chemicals and release them again like a microfiber can in the wash, it pretty much just ends up smearing the product around.

Thats the long and short of it - I still have a high end chamois in my garage in a bag somewhere that never got used. I can't bring myself to throw it out even though I probably won't use it.

Last edited by Adam's Polishes; 03-18-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
RIP chamois.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Doesn't the Chamois also drag dust and maybe dirt across that clearcoat???

I thought for sure that would be the first statement.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I thought for sure someone would think of this guy before I did............
Attached Images

LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Stecky

Drives: 0000
I think AutoZone still has them.
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Stecky

Drives: 0000
http://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts-c...uestid=4542547
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Years ago a buddy told me that he switched to towels because the chamois would take off some of the wax each time the car was washed. Soft towels would not, according to him... About the time I switched to towels, they started delivering cars with clear coat, so I'm not sure if that statement still applies..
Old 03-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Doesn't the Chamois also drag dust and maybe dirt across that clearcoat???

I thought for sure that would be the first statement.
Not really... an actual chamois (not the sham-wow sponge things) has some 'fiber' to it in addition to the oils in it to make it slick. For what it is, its effective. Just isn't really relevant technology anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
Years ago a buddy told me that he switched to towels because the chamois would take off some of the wax each time the car was washed. Soft towels would not, according to him... About the time I switched to towels, they started delivering cars with clear coat, so I'm not sure if that statement still applies..
That statement never applied, your buddy was mis-informed. At least to the extent that a chamois is anymore prone to removing wax than a microfiber towel is.

One could argue, given the fiber structure and density of a microfiber towel, that MF would remove more than a chamois would - but since neither really does its a moot point.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #10
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
I thought for sure someone would think of this guy before I did............
lol First thing thought then scrolled down and saw your comment

Chamois had it's time and place. RIP

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:07 AM   #11
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
I used to use them, and still have some lying around, but they became very brittle and frayed. I use an imitation which has all the benefits of the chamois but none of the drawbacks. Highly absorbent, no streaking and after using it the car doesn't get dusty as quick!
rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:44 AM   #12
moonsinger71

Drives: 2014 Camero 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
I used to use them, and still have some lying around, but they became very brittle and frayed. I use an imitation which has all the benefits of the chamois but none of the drawbacks. Highly absorbent, no streaking and after using it the car doesn't get dusty as quick!
I use the same thing and it seems to work well. I tried a MF but it takes me so many to get it dry without spots.
moonsinger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
all of my chamois died and left tiny pieces of cow all over the place. Had to clean it up with a chamwow

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
dmw56

Drives: 2014 2SS Red Hot 6M
Chamois is actually a member of the antelope family.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamois

dmw56 is offline   Reply With Quote