Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2016, 04:44 AM   #15
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
I'd just have phil look over tune and ride with you. Easier to spend a little time doing that than to tear it down again.
Yeah, take it back to the same tuner as before.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Yeah, take it back to the same tuner as before.
So you're saying pay another tuner to do a tune? Why not take it to the guy who did the tune and tell him what your experiencing so they can fix it? You must work for the government with your logic
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #17
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
That duration on the exhaust side usually means lower lift...as that's a lot of duration more than normal, but I had one that was the 235 239 tsp cam 112 LSA TSP cam with .639/.623 and bucking is cam surge...nothing realy to deal with except to learn to give it a little gas above the 950 rpm idle and get up to 1500ish rpm stall,,then hey its gravy. If you don't do 1 to 3 shifts or other things to mediate or do lots of bumper to bumper then yes it sucks in traffic jam city. But don't make the nature of the beast change, change out the springs regular in durations for the high lift. I as you must realize the area you live in, and maybe a TH400 swap or what ever would make sense.
But any build is to taste for a reason. And btw I rarely ever buck.... I know how to coast.
Been driving with this cam for about 2 years now and my car is stick not auto. Getting off the line and rolling isn't the issue I have in drivability. The most annoying issue I have with it is anything between 1200-2000rpm while cruising. Example-my ride to work every day is down a road with a 35 speed limit. We all usually do about 40. 40 in 4th or 5th gear is still in that 1k-2k rpm sweet spot that requires me constantly riding the clutch and coasting. Same thing happens but not as drastic cruising at 60ish in 6th gear.

@flyer88
Yeah I'll probably see about getting with Phil soon and seeing if there is anything we can do to get rid of some of this buck. When I had it tuned before I had it tuned on the dyno with intent on squeezing what I could out of it for performance and numbers, not so much for the street. Maybe a street tune will make the difference and take a lot less time than swapping the cam back out.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #18
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
I have some of that same surge issue, but I've mostly found ways to avoid the bucking. The easiest cure for me is to simply keep it in a gear that puts your rpms at high enough to avoid the surge. Especially in lower gears. On the highway in 6th gear I feel very little surge as long as I keep it 1600rpms and higher. On roads that I have to cruise in 3rd - 5th, I just generally keep the rpms in the 1800-2200rpm range - whatever gear needed to keep me in that range. So for example 55-65mph cruising I just keep it in 5th which keeps me in the 1800-2100rpm range. If I get up to 70mph, then 6th does just fine. And it's no biggie cruising at 2000rpms. Many cars on the road can't cruise at that low of rpms on the highway anyways due to gearing and tire size. And I still get 16-17mpg in mixed driving.
And yes as pointed out above, coasting at times with the clutch is sometimes necessary in slow speed or decelrating situations.
I just couldn't see myself going back to a stock cam. If my car was a daily driver, which in my case is 60mile daily round trip in big city traffic, I would consider doing a milder cam. But stock - no way.
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #19
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
whats your cam specs? i would not go back to stock get a streetable cam if its not your tune.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #20
Caseyls3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
This is absolutely a tuning issue but I must say the numbers you put down off spray are crazy. I wonder if it was just tuned to put down the max numbers. I have the same cam in mine and would have no real issue daily driving it. Do you have gears in it? Mine has 4.10s - that may make the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert - Jewel Red Tintcoat, 6M, 231/247 Comp Cam, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, ATI under drive pulley, Richmond 4.10s, LS9 clutch, Hurst shifter, BMR Springs
Caseyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #21
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
My tuner told me he could give the car some more timing in the lower rpm range to help with the bucking and surging, but it would not go away. I'm running 231 239 lsa 113 .617 .624 it's not a small cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Driving for fuel economy is something we all do but in particular if you expect to drive in the sweet zone as you call it its a little on the low side of rpms a lot and will make a person not watching the rpms tend to LUG. I know if I am in 4th over 35 :35 is about the lower limit for fourth, and I should go to third which is 25-35 mph. And expect it to at any second have to have the clutch engaged when your riding the lower RPM limit to avoid cam surge and downshift. Because things have a way or slowing us down in traffic repeatedly...... Compared to hitting sub 4 second 0-60s...lol And I tend to go higher in the rpms and have fun with the power when I can that's why I have a shift light.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #23
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
that not a big cam either. the night fury is 231/242 .617/.615 113+4 and only bucks below 1500. my cam 226/230 .624/.624 113+4 drives almost like stock. id say its the tune. find a mustang dyno so they can tune it for drivability.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #24
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Its been a minute but update....So i give Phil a call. Talk about the best kinda guy. He actually came over to look over the tune. Came to find out that somehow the rubber around the intake cone at the bottom dry rotted cracked and was letting a bunch of extra air in and the computer wasnt liking it. Got a new cone, problem fixed. Not a tuning issue, no my car isn't tuned for max power on spray. Im running a lingenfelter lnc box and just pull the timing from there. It was only on the dyno with spray to make sure everything was working fine n i think theres actually more in it but the clutch i had in back then went out on the 1st pull. Pretty sure my cam is bigger than most running a daily cammed car...i cant see how some of you say your car runs like stock but maybe its gearing. Im still running 3:45. I was told 3:91 would fix it but ive been in a 1le with a smaller cam and even that had the same driving habits
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #25
Todd808
ANTI-MATTER Hawaii band

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS, manual,Kooks,
I just traded in my 06 vette with a mayhem 2 cam kit and headers. My tuner was able to tune out the bucking. Same as you I love the choppy idle and looks it got. Cam specs are 235/240 .630 113 lsa. Had it for years
But I traded it in for this low mile 2010 supercharged SS. Man I love this car. Soooooo smooth and drivable, hit the gas and it's an animal. Over 550hp at the wheels, and smooth like a caddy.
2010 SS LS3 6speed. Supercharged, kooks Lt heeders, 3" exhaust,monster clutch, 1000 hp axles, peeders drop springs, hurst short throw, borla. Hotchkins race pack, all lights blacked out. 1.2" front 1.5" rear drop
Todd808 is offline   Reply With Quote