Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
MSull16

Drives: '10 Camaro SS LS3
First time Drag Racing *EVER* Need tips

Hello all,

I plan on taking the car to the strip this weekend and this will be my first time drag racing any car. My mods are in my signature, running on street tires with Decent tread. I have had the car for about a year and a half and I feel very comfortable with it. But still, dragging is a different world. So what are your recommendations? Tire pressure, launch rpm, e-brake launch or roast the clutch? Just a good baseline to start then I will make adjustments from there.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I started out off the line as I was taking off from a light or stop sign. The more and more I staged I would start raising the rpms and work on slipping the clutch. I launch around 3.5k and still working on slipping the clutch. I don't want to burn mine out just yet, so I am being easy on it. It takes practice, I'm still learning, don't get frustrated. Its a lot of fun and can become addicting. I wish it wasn't raining so much so I could go to the track more often.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Wear a helmet. Drop the tire air pressure to 25. Turn off your a/c. Turn off all the nannies. Wear seatbelt and roll up windows. Drive around the water box and back in. Do just enough burnout to clean the tires. Do not double bulb the other lane. Go when the third yellow bulb lights. First pass should be just to get the feel. Normal launch, shift smooth. When you lose, make sure to let the winner exit the track first. Experiment with air pressure, launch rpm, clutch slipping, shift method.

But most of all, be safe and have fun.

p.s. Take all the crap out of your car and trunk.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
As a first timer I think you should leave your stabilitrac on. That way if you get loose you wont get into the wall. With all the nannies off my car got a little loose on the 2nd to 3rd shift . Your first run should be done with caution. After a couple runs you will have a better idea how your car reacts in regards to traction and shifts.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Nannies are a great debate. Leave them on and they may save your bacon or you may freak out and nail the wall. Turn them off and you are responsible for driving and correction and may hit the wall. Personally, I would rather have control of my car.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Which track? First, and don't take this the wrong way, don't expect to be a hero NOR be afraid to f*ck-up in front of peeps!

Per above safety first, helmet and the car in good shape...

I do a 2nd burnout with all nannies off(hold button fer 'bout 8 sec till lights come on), at Mason-Dixon we have to drive thru the water...roll thru water and when directed drop the clutch at 4+k...ride it out a few feet and clutch in... roll to before first light(you will need to read up on trees)...HOT tire pressure on my car was 'bout 22 or so...with street tires max 3k launch(fer me) ride out the clutch like your street racin...you know what I mean!...now I shift a little higher than most but you should get to 65k easy(do a clutch/brake fluid bleed/refill-massive improvement!!)..I clear the traps in 3rd...you may need to shift to 4th...

practice! seat time! driver mod! HUMILITY!

the below is by no means any kind of expert video, just me trying like every other lug nut out here!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Nannies are a great debate. Leave them on and they may save your bacon or you may freak out and nail the wall. Turn them off and you are responsible for driving and correction and may hit the wall. Personally, I would rather have control of my car.
I get it but first time out under wot throttle i think stabilitrac should at least be on.Once you get that initial pass under your belt feel free to go full tilt boogie.If you can drive around the water box op then do it......burnouts on street tires do very little.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 AM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Here is another perspective from a bolt on car. Start out easy, and work up to it. You'll be surprised how much clutch and rpm you need to really get the car moving quickly off the line.

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote