Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 08-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Click or knock noise from steering column

This morning I had some lady run a red light and I had to white knuckle turn left, hard on brakes to avoid a collision and hard turn the other way to miss the car in the other lane. No question I was hanging on to the steering wheel for dear life...
Shortly afterwards as I sharply turning right into a parking lot I hear a click from the steering column. On way out I hear the same thing from column when turning sharply to the right. I am pretty sure its coming from steering wheel area/column and not the engine bay.

I just went for a drive again and took it to a school parking lot. I can mostly reproduce it but at much lower speeds it sounds more like a knock.

Sounds like I messed up the electronic steering stuff. Any ideas before I take it to dealer?
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Its probably the sway bar end link bolts. Check them before going in
Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
Showguns

Drives: 2016 2SS w/chrome blue stripes
I had the same issue with crunching noises coming from the steering when doing 3-point turns in my driveway. It turned out that the steering gear had to be replaced, but that was after they replaced the transmission mount (visit 1), tightened/checked all steering linkage (visit 2) and replaced the tie-rod end links (visit 3). The steering gear was replaced on visit 4. Ridiculous service.
Showguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Burly

I looked underneath and didn't see anything obvious. With car running I can reproduce by just rocking steering back and forth. I'm attaching video. Have dealer appointment next week.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
ccie6746

Drives: 2017 Summit White Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
I looked underneath and didn't see anything obvious. With car running I can reproduce by just rocking steering back and forth. I'm attaching video. Have dealer appointment next week.

Did you ever find out what it was ? I took my car in for the power steering recall and they returned it to me making this noise. I haven't called them yet, looking online to get an idea before they open again tomorrow. Slight click, doesn't matter if left or right, when torque changes on steering wheel that click occurs and I can tell its right under my nose, but appears to be not in steering wheel under horn/air bag but where in column where it connects.

dave
Old 08-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccie6746 View Post
Did you ever find out what it was ? I took my car in for the power steering recall and they returned it to me making this noise. I haven't called them yet, looking online to get an idea before they open again tomorrow. Slight click, doesn't matter if left or right, when torque changes on steering wheel that click occurs and I can tell its right under my nose, but appears to be not in steering wheel under horn/air bag but where in column where it connects.

dave
Mine just started too. You figure it out?
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
ccie6746

Drives: 2017 Summit White Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
Mine just started too. You figure it out?
Dealer kept it for 2 days, said the steering rods were loose and out of adjustment, coincidence it happened after steering recall was done ? He things so, said only was underneath to swap rack, this time entire column apart for both shafts to be properly adjusted/tightened. He said its common lately for this ending up to be the air bag, I wasn't so lucky.

Car fine since but took over 2 days to get it done.
d-
Old 08-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Burly

They warranty replaced my entire steering rack.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
They warranty replaced my entire steering rack.
Ah.. I did find this other post where they said it was a loose bolt hitting the air bag. Going to check it out.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...light=steering
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote