Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
DarkCydeCA

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Question re: AWE catback, A8 and AFM

Hey all.
I really like the sound of the AWE exhaust systems and I'd like to do a full catback replacement but their site says to avoid a catback in an SS with A8 due to AFM valves.

Has anyone out there ignored this advice? If so, what's your experience? Is it possible that the reduced back pressure could harm the engine over time? I have a question out to AWE themselves to see what the technical reasons are, just curious...

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Removal of AFM valves means tuning is necessary to prevent CEL.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Removal of AFM valves means tuning is necessary to prevent CEL.
Yep, no big deal. Control of the AFM valves is in the FSCM. It will cost one credit through HP Tuners to unlock that module. Then you can disable the valves and get rid of the CEL caused by removing the actuators.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
DarkCydeCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Yep, no big deal. Control of the AFM valves is in the FSCM. It will cost one credit through HP Tuners to unlock that module. Then you can disable the valves and get rid of the CEL caused by removing the actuators.
Thanks Josh, I just want to make sure I understand this so I can make a somewhat educated decision. Are there some kind of actuators in the exhaust system itself for AFM, other than the NPP valves? I guess I don't get why the computer would throw a CEL if I replace the exhaust system.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:22 AM   #5
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
I have the AWE Touring on my 2017 1SS and the noise from the AFM switching is a burp that I have gotten used to. It does not bother me. Love the sound of the AWE exhaust because it has no drone and is great when you push the happy pedal down
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCydeCA View Post
Thanks Josh, I just want to make sure I understand this so I can make a somewhat educated decision. Are there some kind of actuators in the exhaust system itself for AFM, other than the NPP valves? I guess I don't get why the computer would throw a CEL if I replace the exhaust system.
Yes, the OEM has AFM valves in the catback piping, right before the flattened sections. Removing them sets a CEL. I’ve heard of people removing the AFM actuators from the OEM exhaust and just zip tying them up under the car when installing the new catback, tricking the car into thinking they’re still in operation. But if you have HP Tuners, you can just launch them. I would disable them in HPT, then go ahead and install the AWE catback. But you have a couple of options.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
DarkCydeCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Yes, the OEM has AFM valves in the catback piping, right before the flattened sections. Removing them sets a CEL. I’ve heard of people removing the AFM actuators from the OEM exhaust and just zip tying them up under the car when installing the new catback, tricking the car into thinking they’re still in operation. But if you have HP Tuners, you can just launch them. I would disable them in HPT, then go ahead and install the AWE catback. But you have a couple of options.
Awesome, thanks for the info Josh!

Tags
a8ss, afm, awe, catback, exhaust