Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #183
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloni View Post
I am not intimately knowledgeable with automotive testing, but one thing that I am familiar with though all of my testing experience is the effects of temperature on performance (be it engine, turbine, or flow).

Do you plan on "warming up" the car for a decent amount of time before the first base line? Do you think there will be sufficient time between intake change outs for the car to cool off enough such that when the next test run is done, the car will be at about the same temperature as the last run? You'll also have to watch ambient temperature, as the inlet air temperature directly affects performance (I know, I'm preaching to the choir here).

Re-baselining the car between builds is probably out of the question when it comes to time, but I would highly recommend a re-baseline at the very end of the testing, just to make sure nothing changed in between.

Again, I have a real passion for test engineering, and I wish I could even just observe this because it's really cool testing (not for my job, but for the car that I love, which makes it even better).

I'm sure you guys have thought about all of this stuff, since it is your business, but just in case...thanks for listening.
As Stated and Practiced, I always stabilize Temps before any testing begins.

I already have 9 pulls all stock to see how this car repeats, and It Repeats Quite Well.

Starting temps for today are 205 Coolant, 86 degrees IAT.

These V6 Run 10 degrees hotter than the V8 Regularly from what I have logged.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #184
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
What was the stock baseline numbers? Im guessing 239 and 219...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #185
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
As Stated and Practiced, I always stabilize Temps before any testing begins.

I already have 9 pulls all stock to see how this car repeats, and It Repeats Quite Well.

Starting temps for today are 205 Coolant, 86 degrees IAT.

These V6 Run 10 degrees hotter than the V8 Regularly from what I have logged.

Ted.
Sweet! This stuff is so cool! Back to back testing to find relative performance is way fun! I'm envious!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #186
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Any predictions who will post best gains? Hoping for Airaid V2, for selfish reasons...
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #187
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by faninc View Post
Any predictions who will post best gains? Hoping for Airaid V2, for selfish reasons...
Toss up here between Injen and CAInc.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #188
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Stock Box ftw........

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #189
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Stock Box ftw........
Injen already beat the stock box though!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #190
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
I already bet on injen :-)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #191
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Injen already beat the stock box though!
rigged.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #192
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
What data logger are you using? I'm using Palmer Performance Eng OBDII Scan Tool V2.4.12.

I sure hope your planning on some drive time between different test units. Anything below open loop (looks like 5600RPM from what I see in the AFR register) won't be correct if you don't..... Every time I've made a change, it has taken 30-50 miles and 3-4 key cycles to "normalize" the fueling in the lower ranges.... not so much on top. This ECU seems to be highly dependant on LTFT and it takes a bit of driving to "tip the scales" on them.

WFO is what you look for at the strip but, we drive these mostly below 3500RPM on the street. Please don't forget the everyday drivers.

I'm especially interested in the midrange torque for road course fun. Knowing how the torque curve is effected by each unit would be valuable to all of us.

One anomaly that may show up in your testing is the power enrichment calibration... easy to spot that though... the AFR will run up to the 14.xx/1 range near full throttle if it's off. Mine was off when Trifecta first tuned it.... I think with mine, the TPS cal was off a bit as, activation of PE was not consistent. Not certain about that though.

I know this stuff is "tuning 101" for you guys but, just thought I'd throw it out there.....
Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #193
a red maro

Drives: Victory Red 2lt RS V6 auto
how much HP is K&N suspected to get?

a red maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #194
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
rigged.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #195
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
What data logger are you using? I'm using Palmer Performance Eng OBDII Scan Tool V2.4.12.

I sure hope your planning on some drive time between different test units. Anything below open loop (looks like 5600RPM from what I see in the AFR register) won't be correct if you don't..... Every time I've made a change, it has taken 30-50 miles and 3-4 key cycles to "normalize" the fueling in the lower ranges.... not so much on top. This ECU seems to be highly dependant on LTFT and it takes a bit of driving to "tip the scales" on them.

WFO is what you look for at the strip but, we drive these mostly below 3500RPM on the street. Please don't forget the everyday drivers.

I'm especially interested in the midrange torque for road course fun. Knowing how the torque curve is effected by each unit would be valuable to all of us.

One anomaly that may show up in your testing is the power enrichment calibration... easy to spot that though... the AFR will run up to the 14.xx/1 range near full throttle if it's off. Mine was off when Trifecta first tuned it.... I think with mine, the TPS cal was off a bit as, activation of PE was not consistent. Not certain about that though.

I know this stuff is "tuning 101" for you guys but, just thought I'd throw it out there.....
Nice! I love reading this kind of thing because assuming you do know what you are talking about, I'm learning something...you bring up good points for needed the car to "recalibrate" itself when operating conditions have changed. I've read where those who put all a cold air intake, they get a code that takes a while to reset...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #196
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post

I have spent several hours on the dyno with this car and see exactly what you mention.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote