Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Major Noob Chamois Question

Is there a way to consistently (atleast 2-3 times a week) to use a chamois on a black vehicle without getting those very minor scratches in the paint?

I make sure the MF chamois towel is damp before using, and try not to apply much if any pressure while using it. I need a lesson in chamois, this is my first black sports car that I car this much about the paint on.

Thanks y'all!

And I'm not sure if i spelt chamois right...
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
yes there is......completely wash the car properly using the two bucket wash method every time. You can not just wipe down the car a few times a week with a damp Chamois.....this ESPECIALLY applies to black cars, as it will show EVERY little scratch, regardless of how minor.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Yeah, nuke's right. Op, it's clear you really need to do some reading on here. Every question you have has been answered at least a hundred times, and your methodology is way off. Do yourself a favor- grab a six pack and spend a couple hours reading.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Cornflakes'Camaro

Alright, if y'all say the answer is out there then I'll get on reading about it!
Tick Performance Custom Cam w/ support mods/BBK LT Headers w/ midpipes/Straight Exhaust/Airaid Cold Air Intake/ZL1 Driveshaft/ZL1 Differential/Hendrix Engineering Offset Bushings/ZL1 Axles/BMR Rear Subframe Bushings/BMR Toe Rods/Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion/Jannetty Winsheild Bottle Scoop/Forgestar 15x10 Beadlocks wrapped in Mickey Thompson Radial Pros
Old 08-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Is there a way to consistently (atleast 2-3 times a week) to use a chamois on a black vehicle without getting those very minor scratches in the paint?
Short answer yes, but the bigger question should be why you would need one that often? Washing/drying that often shouldn't be necessary unless you have a really unusual set of circumstances to contend with.

Quote:
I make sure the MF chamois towel is damp before using, and try not to apply much if any pressure while using it. I need a lesson in chamois, this is my first black sports car that I car this much about the paint on.
You might be getting your terminology mixed up here... a chamois is a natural calf or lamb skin hide impregnated with fish oil (usually cod liver) thats used for drying.

If its made of microfiber you have a drying towel, not a chamois. Semantics, yes. But there are some things you can do with a microfiber towel that you should not with a chamois, so its important to make sure you're referring to the right tool for the job.

Quote:
Thanks y'all!

And I'm not sure if i spelt chamois right...
Actually you did! Most would've put "shammy" or "shammie"
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Only use the two bucket method, watch Adam's video's and this will help a LOT.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/co...ents/19244.htm
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Cornflakes'Camaro

Dylan-Correction, I am using a drying towel then.

And I do have "unusual" circumstances I am dealing with....I live in a house surrounded by trees...rainforest style. I cover the car up every night (only when it is still clean), but sitting for literally 30 mins means having pretty much anything in the trees falling on it...leaves, berries, dragonfly spit (i think it is spit), and bird poop...and don't get me started on when it rains...brings all the pollen and sap down along with the water.

Thanks ChadG, I'm about to watch it right now.

I believe that my problem is coming from 2 things....the first is that the water doesn't roll off my paint, and it's been 3 months since I've waxed, which means, I'll most likely be waxing or sealing soon. The second problem comes from the fact that i have not been "blotting", i have been "pulling" the drying towel horizontally down the body...I haven't found a way to do it other than blotting that will not yeild or have the possiblity of scratches...still researching.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Proper correction work done to to it first is needed then topping it off with a LSP will help alot and I would use microfiber towels in drying and wiping off any other product. The Autopia Car Care Store has everything one would need and a How To Section for everyone in need of some help.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
Cornflakes'Camaro

Ok, after browsing autopia (great selection of products, btw) I have the speedy surface prep towel combo (thanks CD07), BLACKFIRE sealant and a meguiars waffle weave drying towl (along with 2 books on auto detailing for free....I had to get them...)

I will be going to autozone/advanced auto for another bucket, wash mit for the top half of my car, tire shine and some exhaust wrap (another project) I already have some meguiars wax that I plan on applying roughly a week after the sealant.

Now, I believe I am starting to overhaul of my detail kit (for the 3rd time)...and I think this will start to give me the perfect results that I am hoping for...as long as I can apply everything correcto-mundo. Input?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
CPT_Hoolie

Drives: 2012 1LT RS
Don't forget the glass cleaner, detail spray, and a couple of microfiber towels to carry with you. I got a trunk caddy from Autozone that holds my waterless wash, detail spray, glass cleaner, and the appropriate towels. It's a lot easier -- and better for your paint -- to remove bug guts & bird bombs as soon as possible.

15MAR12 purchased
22MAR12 Custom stripe install
25APR12 Installed CAI intake / ADM scoop / Roto-Fab windshield washer relocation
02MAY12 Installed RX Catch Can

...MORE TO FOLLOW

"Life's full of ironies, if you're stupid." -- P.J. O'Rourke
CPT_Hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Cornflakes'Camaro

Very true man. I have now ditched the chamois and am now using a micro fiber towel with detail spray to dry the car off. yesterday was the first time i used it, and I am almost upset with myself because it was twice as easy, twice as fast, and seemed much better on my paint than using a chamios to dry it. it lightly rained today and afterwards, I had no water spots...the detail spray works!

SN: It was a chamios, but some sort of "natural" chamois...according to the original packing.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #12
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
It sounds like, due to your circumstance, that you may be in the market for something like a waterless or rinseless wash.

Waterless Washes are great for removing light accumulation. They work much like a detail spray, in that you mist onto the paint, gently wipe with a plush microfiber, then buff dry. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Waterless Wash actually uses the same polymer system as the paint sealants. These polymers attach to the paint and to the dirt and grime almost instantly every time you squeeze the trigger. This creates the barrier between the paint and the dirt that reduces scratching. As a bonus, while you drying the car, you are curing the polymers (like a paint sealant) on the paint, which adds to the protection and infuses that unique BLACKFIRE shine.

Rinseless Wash Products are similar in application to a car soap. You use a wash mitt to apply to a section. Instead of rinsing you towel dry the section almost immediately. Again, because of BLACKFIRE's advanced polymer technology, the result is that the dirt is flushed off the car with out scratching. Optimum No Rinse is another extremely popular product in this category.

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
there are some things you can do with a microfiber towel that you should not with a chamois, so its important to make sure you're referring to the right tool for the job.
Dylan, is there anywhere I can read up on this?
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
How about right here! LOL

Basically with a genuine chamois (which I mentioned above is essentially lamb or calf skin, impregnated with fish oils) You cannot and should not use a drying agent. The waxes, polymers, and other chemicals don't play nice with the material or the oils so you end up ruining a chamois... and a high quality one isn't cheap.

The same goes with the synthetic 'shammies' like scam... er... I mean shamwow... water sprite, absorber, etc. The foams these are made of tend to just smear detail sprays around, not so much absorb them. Then if/when the product is absorbed its almost impossible to get back out of the material causing them to deteriorate or change the way they perform.

With a microfiber towel, you can use a detail spray or 'wax as you dry' type product if you prefer since the material has no issues with absorbing the products or washing cleanly. Remember you can't machine wash a natural or synthetic chamois so the ability to clean it is limited to rinsing and hand washing.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote