Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Seal your glass for up to 30k miles with Gtechniq G1!

Coat your glass with extreme protection that lasts for up to 30,000 miles.

GTechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass Review - YouTube

Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass offers the following benefits:
  • Creates a hydrophobic coating which repels rain
  • Forms a chemical bond for long-lasting results
  • Lasts up to 30,000 miles of driving

This glass coating should not be confused with traditional rain repellents. It is scratch resistant and resists premature wear do to wiper blade use; not that you will be using your wipers very much after application. Gtechniq has tested G1 for up to 30,000 miles of use.

G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass forms a submicron thick quartz-based coating that chemically bonds to your glass. This coating fills in the imperfections on the glass, increasing the surface tension and causing water to form in tiny sphere-like beads that run from the surface.

To apply G1 requires a little prep work for best result. For best results you will need:
  • Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass
  • Gtechniq G2 Coating Remover (included with G1)
  • Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish
  • Micro-Applicator Pads (included)
  • Glass Cleaner
  • Several Microfiber Towels

Gtechniq G1 is a coating so it needs to be applied to perfectly clean glass that is free of splatter, road film, grease, or wax. Instead of hoping that your window cleaner leaves the glass perfectly clean, Gtechniq recommends using G4 Glass Nano Polish to microscopically polish the surface and leave your glass surgically clean.

Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish

G4 Glass Nano Polish combines micro-fine abrasives with citric acid to deep clean your glass, removing contamination and restoring clarity. It can be used with a Random Orbital DA polisher on low speed or by hand. I elected to use it by hand using a Wolfgang German Polish N' Wax Applicator. The orange foam side provides a little extra polishing action while the soft black makes handing easy.

Glass Nano Polish has a thin consistency. Two quarter sized drops will easily polish half of most standard sized windows.

Apply to the glass using firm pressure. Work in a cross-hatch (back and forth, up and down) pattern or in tiny circles.

Continue working G4 until only a light film is visible and then remove with a microfiber towel.

Application Tip:

Work Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish until it is almost clear but remove it while it is still wet for the ultimate ease-of-use. The diagram below shows how G4 will "clear up" or become opaque as it is worked against the glass. Over working the product and allowing it to dry will make removal more difficult.

Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass

With all of the glass polished and cleaned (including the side and rear) it is ready to accept the glass coating.

G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass come packaged with several applicators and G2 Residue Remover.

For your windshield Gtechniq recommends applying 3 coats, each on top of the previous, approximately 5 minutes apart. For the side and rear glass one coat will be sufficient.

We recommend wearing Nitrile Gloves when applying any type of permanent or semi-permanent surface coating. Apply enough G1 to the applicator to dampen it.

Apply to the glass using overlapping circles on in a cross-hatch pattern to ensure even coverage.

After one coat.

Apply second and third coats to the windshield on top of the previous coats. You should have a uniform film with even coverage. After 3 coats.

G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass can be a little stubborn to remove. Dampen the supplied applicator wit G2 Remover and work a second at a time. Wipe away residue immediately with a soft, plush microfiber towel.

Repeat until all residue and streaks are removed.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Fedex says tomorrow is the day! Looking forward to it.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Fedex says tomorrow is the day! Looking forward to it.
A little difficult to remove but you will love it!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
This is one on my wish list to get very soon.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
This is one on my wish list to get very soon.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Sorry guys, spent the whole day doing another car. Too tired to do anything with mine today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get around to washing and using this glass coating.

Todd, do you have any specific recommendations for prepping the glass? Or just clay and apply?

--When was the last time you read the Constitution?--
Old 07-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hmmm, I am interested. Tell me does it cause any interior fogging like RainX does?
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

"...a little stubborn to remove." A spinal tumor is stubborn to remove. Saddam was stubborn to remove. G1 is nowhere NEAR that easy to remove, lol. This stuff is a nightmare.

I think they include about 1/2 of the G2 you need (although plenty of G1, I kicked the bottle over and still had enough). The whole time, you're frantically checking the levels and realizing you're not going to make it around the car before the microscopic bottle runs out which is incredibly stressful when you're looking at how much residue is left on the glass.

When they say to remove the residue immediately, they mean immediately. They don't mean how fast a human hand can set down the applicator and pick up a towel. By that time, it's dried again.

Anyway, I finally think I got it all off, I'm drenched in sweat, and my buffing arm is sore. I sure hope it lasts as long as they say, because I'm in no hurry to do this again.

If it's as good as they say it is, then all this stress will be worth it.

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from it, just giving an honest review. Like I said, if it lasts as long as it's supposed to, then it'll be worth it. Just be prepared for a bit of an adventure.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
"...a little stubborn to remove." A spinal tumor is stubborn to remove. Saddam was stubborn to remove. G1 is nowhere NEAR that easy to remove, lol. This stuff is a nightmare.

I think they include about 1/2 of the G2 you need (although plenty of G1, I kicked the bottle over and still had enough). The whole time, you're frantically checking the levels and realizing you're not going to make it around the car before the microscopic bottle runs out which is incredibly stressful when you're looking at how much residue is left on the glass.

When they say to remove the residue immediately, they mean immediately. They don't mean how fast a human hand can set down the applicator and pick up a towel. By that time, it's dried again.

Anyway, I finally think I got it all off, I'm drenched in sweat, and my buffing arm is sore. I sure hope it lasts as long as they say, because I'm in no hurry to do this again.

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from it, just giving an honest review. Like I said, if it lasts as long as it's supposed to, then it'll be worth it. Just be prepared for a bit of an adventure.
Haha, hilarious - hope it lasts longer than the windshield for that much effort!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Todd@Autopia

Quote:

Well now its time to go drive in the rain for the next 30k miles and check it.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Well now its time to go drive in the rain for the next 30k miles and check it.
I'm looking forward to it. Noticed a few spots in the sunlight today. Hopefully I can buff them off.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Todd@Autopia

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it. Noticed a few spots in the sunlight today. Hopefully I can buff them off.
Try IPA and a terry cloth. It will remove the streaks very quickly.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Try IPA and a terry cloth. It will remove the streaks very quickly.
Ipa won't remove the coating?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Todd@Autopia

No it won't. G2 Glass Coating Residue Remover is some type of alcohol base. Many of the UK guys recommend using IPA instead of G2. At this point the only thing that is going to remove your coating would be an abrasive polish.