Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
SSmokinHot!
I go topleSS!

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
you have an ls3, it's just a different version. what makes it an l99 is that it has active fuel management and the raw version of the ls3 does not. it has the same heads, etc so if you change out your cam and lifters, you will basically be at the same point as an ls3 that has changed out his cam.

there are some misc other parts not related to power involved in that swap but they are related to the active fuel management (also known as displacement on demand or cylinder deactivation).

don't feel bad about having an l99. if you want to feel bad about something, feel bad about having an automatic. I keed, I keed.
Well I do regret it now. I was being a little lazy in that my other sports cars I had were manual and I hated them. Nothing like a good leg work out then having to drive home in a 6-speed sports car. I am kicking myself everyday for not getting the 6-speed. Oh well, nothing to do about it now.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #16
SSmokinHot!
I go topleSS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianskeet View Post
Don't get too caught up in the differences between the LS3 and the L99. Yes you are 26 horses down to the 6 speed, but you are also quicker against 99.9999999% of drivers.
Yeah I guess, a little more hp won't hurt though
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
SSmokinHot!
I go topleSS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
My personal sugestion would be to keep your warranty, never tune it. Add a cold air intake (Cold air inductions is my choice), and a VMAX cnc ported throttle body. Oh, also a ADM performance cold air scoop. That's about it in hp adders w/o messing with the warranty.
Thanks, I will check in to those
Old 08-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmokinHot! View Post
Well I do regret it now. I was being a little lazy in that my other sports cars I had were manual and I hated them. Nothing like a good leg work out then having to drive home in a 6-speed sports car. I am kicking myself everyday for not getting the 6-speed. Oh well, nothing to do about it now.

You did get a 6 speed. And additional emblems are not needed.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
SSmokinHot!
I go topleSS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
You did get a 6 speed. And additional emblems are not needed.
Haha manual 6-speed
Old 08-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
ramsman34

Drives: 2011 Summit White, 2SS/RS-LS3
Umm The cam is different and frankly they are totally diffferent cars driving wise. At least they were to mee when I test drove, and bought the LS3.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #21
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
Quote:
Yeah I guess, a little more hp won't hurt though
More power is always a good thing. Our motor is very modification friendly. Headers and tune really unleash the car. Look at it as a whole breathing package. Cold air intake, ported throttle body, washer relocate and scoop. Then headers and tune when you are ready to be without drivetrain warantee.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsman34 View Post
Umm The cam is different and frankly they are totally diffferent cars driving wise. At least they were to mee when I test drove, and bought the LS3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
you have an ls3, it's just a different version. what makes it an l99 is that it has active fuel management and the raw version of the ls3 does not. it has the same heads, etc so if you change out your cam and lifters, you will basically be at the same point as an ls3 that has changed out his cam.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
It's a brand new car so I don't want to mess with anything that voids my warranty, so....
Not sure what all that means (headers, vararam, CAI, etc) so I got some research to do
Don't void your warranty....just leave it alone & enjoy!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote