Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #43
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Oh wow man ! LSD, I'm trippin balls
ss=scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #44
Wilder
Synergy Green <3

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
id say just practice on a different car and then move to the camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4383&pictureid=93296
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #45
VolkCamaro

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
haha Listening to Americans describe driving in snow makes me

no offence. It's just funny. I actually prefer an LSD in snow because you have power at 2 wheels instead of 1. with a peg leg you can get stuck real easy if 1 tire is in an icy spot, whereas an LSD will power right through.

Funny unrelated story: I was in Houston last december when they got that snow... haha I was visiting a friend I went to school with that was working down there and we never had so much fun listening to how terrified people were about snow that didn't even stay on the ground haha. Sorry it sounds mean but you gotta understand where I live in winter it'll hit -50*C on a regular basis and we probably have snow a good 6 months of the year... if we get lucky. We were having a drink at the hotel bar and the bartender came in and threw his keys on the table and was all mad. Here's how the conversation went:

bartender - "I can't F***ing go anywhere!"
me - "why?"
bartender - "My windows are iced up and I can't see a damn thing!!"

me - "come with me"

grabbed his keys. he took me to his car. I started it up and moved the heater to DEFROST... in 30 seconds the ice is clearing from his windshield.

bartender - "holy hell... that never even occurred to me. but how do i clear the back window?"

I hit the rear defrost button...

bartender - "THATS WHAT THATS FOR???!!!!"

and he bought me a beer haha
Remember that common sense comment? He didn't have it!

I'm from South Carolina and know that... I should go to Texas to get free beers in the winter!
VolkCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #46
zbo2

Drives: 69 Z-28, 93 Pace Car
there are those that race the v6 auto's ( some on this site) that say both wheels hook up just like it has a posi in it............i personally haven't tried it in my sons car yet........waitin for him to get a couple more miles on it.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #47
Kurushio

Drives: 2011 CGM 1LT RS (M6)
Ive driven trucks, FWD, RWD, and soon 4x4 in winter and really it doesnt much matter what you drive as experience. I now have enough experience to anticipate what most roads are going to be like and what a safe speed will be. That said the Camaro is not much fun in a blizzard and mine is a 95 that only had a light for "No Traction" and ABS lol.
Kurushio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #48
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter5002 View Post
I am getting a 2LT/RS and must have had my head in the ground about v6 auto not having LSD. I am not the greatest stick driver in the world, even though I drive one daily. This car will be my daily driver and I live in KY where we get a few snow storms a year. I really wanted an automatic,but paying $1000 more and not having LSD now has me rethinking. What do you guys think?
just make sure ya have at least 'all season" tires on it in the winter,and you should be fine!..keep stability control on,and slow down!..the camaro has plenty of "ballast"..(weight) and tracks well in the snow with the right tires on it!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #49
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
haha Listening to Americans describe driving in snow makes me

no offence. It's just funny. I actually prefer an LSD in snow because you have power at 2 wheels instead of 1. with a peg leg you can get stuck real easy if 1 tire is in an icy spot, whereas an LSD will power right through.

Funny unrelated story: I was in Houston last december when they got that snow... haha I was visiting a friend I went to school with that was working down there and we never had so much fun listening to how terrified people were about snow that didn't even stay on the ground haha. Sorry it sounds mean but you gotta understand where I live in winter it'll hit -50*C on a regular basis and we probably have snow a good 6 months of the year... if we get lucky. We were having a drink at the hotel bar and the bartender came in and threw his keys on the table and was all mad. Here's how the conversation went:

bartender - "I can't F***ing go anywhere!"
me - "why?"
bartender - "My windows are iced up and I can't see a damn thing!!"

me - "come with me"

grabbed his keys. he took me to his car. I started it up and moved the heater to DEFROST... in 30 seconds the ice is clearing from his windshield.

bartender - "holy hell... that never even occurred to me. but how do i clear the back window?"

I hit the rear defrost button...

bartender - "THATS WHAT THATS FOR???!!!!"

and he bought me a beer haha
sounds like he just came from hawaii!..don't need none of that stuff down there!..i reckon!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #50
jmaryt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurushio View Post
Ive driven trucks, FWD, RWD, and soon 4x4 in winter and really it doesnt much matter what you drive as experience. I now have enough experience to anticipate what most roads are going to be like and what a safe speed will be. That said the Camaro is not much fun in a blizzard and mine is a 95 that only had a light for "No Traction" and ABS lol.
what's that?..you don't like to drive in a blizzard in a camaro?..hot damn!..you ain't lived unless ya done that at least once!..whooopie ding!..yaaa hooo!..(w.t.f!)
Old 08-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #51
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
One great thing about a manual in snow. Start off in 2nd gear when on a slight slope. This gives you little better traction because of less torque.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #52
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
One great thing about a manual in snow. Start off in 2nd gear when on a slight slope. This gives you little better traction because of less torque.
You can do the same with an auto. Put it in Sport and use the Paddle to shift into 2nd and it will take off that way.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #53
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
End of question. Traction Control will do the job.
The LSD on these cars do not work consistently. Jannetty Racing has a fix so both wheels spin (I know of one for the SS, not sure about the LT).

I'm just pointing that out.

That said, traction control/stabilitrac does its job, but it cuts some of the power to the wheels in the process. Slows u down. But then again, so does spinning the tires on launch, which at least the SS's will do even with a stock LSD.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 08-20-2010 at 07:17 PM.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #54
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
yet... even the best of us stall at some point or another. and for various reasons usually not relating to our driving skills. it ain't nothing to be ashamed of!

referring to your 'other statement' here...

how do you propose to do that... short of buying it through the parts counter or a salvage yard?
I have done it at traffic lights ect. if I got the music up to loud since I am so used to driving by the sound

and that is beyond lame not have an option for an LSD in the auto V6