Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Scorpion6
To Honor with Dignity

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic SOLD
My detail story / clay bar warning?

First a "possible" warning about Meguires clay bar. I usually have a few of these laying around the garage as I never know when either I "need" to or "want" to use it.
So two weeks ago we bought my wife a 2011 Malibu and there I noticed a couple little spots and grabbed the Meguiers quick detailer that comes with the clay bar kit. Well the paint didn't like it, it felt and looked like I just poured sticky pudding over the car, I had to wash it to get the residue off.
Last Friday I purchased my 2011 Camaro, I drove it a couple hundred miles since then and decided it was time for its first bath. So you would think (I should know better then to do that by now) a new car would be fairly free of paint issues. NOT!!!
I go out and buy all new detail gear, (mit, waxes, micro-fiber,ect) After the car cools and the sun goes down I get to washing. I start noticing a lot of contaminants on the paint. They look like dots made with a pencil but the color of rust. I've seen this on lots of new cars but not to the extent of what I saw on my SIM tonight. (should have bought a dark color) So after the bath, I break out the Meguires clay bar........ Three strokes across one spot on the hood and it looks like I have a burn mark. (Granted I'll be the only one to notice it but it's friggin killing me) So I freak out a bit (insert every know expletive know to man) So I take a ride to the local auto parts store and search the shelves for an alternative. Because I REALLY didn't think this car would need to be clayed at 5 days. (it was on the dealers lot for 7 days prior to my buying it)
Anyway, not finding anything else I think would work, I pick up Mothers Clay Kit with hesitation. I do a test spot on the rear bumper and WOW, it worked just like a charm. SO, in short the Meguires detailer and clay did nothing but damage on two 2011 cars.

On a side note, I'm glad I spent the last 3 hours claying the SIM. I did the whole car and the residue that was coming off (even after a good bath) was pure black. It looked like muddy water running off. On the bright side I now know every square inch of paint on my car. AND it looks GREAT. Now tomorrow with be wax on - wax off day. I cant wait, it should look fantastic when I'm done.

NOTE: I'm not bashing Meguires, I've always used it, for some reason it just didn't like my two 2011's. (two different bottles of quick detailer and a new un-used clay bar)
Scorpion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I use only Meguiars products on my Camaro, including clay bar and have never had a problem of any kind. You obviously have experience with their products as you had some laying around. How old were they and how were they stored? Did they seem excessively soft or hard? I would like to know why you had problems with the clay bars and what others can do to avoid those problems.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Scorpion6
To Honor with Dignity

I had two new unopened kits. One was in my garage (normal temps, room temp (+-) not too hot etc) for about 4 months, and I picked up a second kit about 3 weeks ago. Everything seemed fine, packages were sealed bars were sealed and when opened were just that "stiff but plyable" feeling they always have.

If it were an open kit or even just one kit, i would write it off as I got a bad one. But two kits.... made me think.

Now there is only one other issue that "may" account for this; that being what ever the dealer (my dealer) uses as a pre-delivery wax or detail spray. Maybe what they use prior to me taking delivery reacted to something in the Meguiars? Then again the two products are damn near identical so that still makes me go hmmmmmm.....

I've used nothing but Meguiars for at least 10 years, and can't say anything negative about them. As for the rest of my Camaro detailing it will still consist of Meguiars car care products, I don't see this one issue changing my routine.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
IBMROBERT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT
Sorry to hear about your problem. I've used Meguiars for years. Used the clay on my 04 Quick Silver GTO numerous times and on my 2011 IBM Carmaro along with their Quick Detailer with no problems.
IBMROBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I've never heard of this. I use Megs or Mothers depending on whichever one I happen to grab. At least you got it all worked out. Maybe they had a bad run or something.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Dr.Manhattan

Drives: Camaro
Anyone here use Meguiars Wash and Wax Ultimate on there Camaros ?
Dr.Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
Used the meguiars clay and wax on my dads '09 Zo6 looks great, only used it because I didnt have my Adams yet
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Scorpion6
To Honor with Dignity

I used it last night prior to the clay bar incident, worked pretty good I thought. I have a coat of Meguiars ultimate wax sitting on it now as i type. I like the way it went on, nice and smooth. I'm sure it's gonna buff off just as easy.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
I do, I love it.

Also used the clay bar with no issues.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Strip wash it. Use Dawn or rub the paint down with Isopropyl Alchohol and distilled water. Get any waxes off. Then clay it. Pick up a new clay kit. Mothers, Meguairs or Adams. Something isn't right here.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
A burn mark from clay? Not possible... the yellow OTC megs clay is REALLY sticky so the more likely issue is just some clay residue/streaking. Not to mention its essentially the exact same thing as the Mothers bar or any other fine grade clay for that matter as they are all manufactured by the same company (automagic/claymagic)
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Dylan.......I was just waiting for you to show up and tell them they are all made by the same company.....I would have, but it certainly wouldn't have carried any weight, so I just waited for the PRO!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
C'mon patent expiration!!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
May have something to do with new paint,I generally wait a few months with a new car to wax or detail it in any way to give the paint time to properly cure.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote