Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #1961
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Gen-5 SBC production is scheduled to commence April/13...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #1962
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Gen-5 SBC production is scheduled to commence April/13...
I could go there (DI). But it needs to be more than a base level power wise.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #1963
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Still looking forward to a Gen5 engine in a Gen5 Camaro with a 1LE package!! It will come!! And it's name shall be Z/28!!
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #1964
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I betit will be a big deal in the camaro community. But in the general automotive world, it will not trump the all new mustang(in terms of being a big deal)
People know the name Mustang, they know the name Camaro, but what just as many people know regardless of their liking or fanfare is the Z/28 name. It's a household name even for haters..and who says the new mustang is going to be well received by the public anyway. The problem with redesign changes is you never know how the public will perceive it. The 5th Gen Camaro is still a great seller and has the body of a unicorn-ed angel. Slap a new motor in it and a badge that says Z/28 on the grill and it will sell, and we will then ask ourselves, Ford released an all new what?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #1965
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
People know the name Mustang, they know the name Camaro, but what just as many people know regardless of their liking or fanfare is the Z/28 name. It's a household name even for haters..and who says the new mustang is going to be well received by the public anyway. The problem with redesign changes is you never know how the public will perceive it. The 5th Gen Camaro is still a great seller and has the body of a unicorn-ed angel. Slap a new motor in it and a badge that says Z/28 on the grill and it will sell, and we will then ask ourselves, Ford released an all new what?

Thank you sir.......
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #1966
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
THe LSA is still a specialized engine. Ford has no other car to share the GT500's engine with. Sharing platforms and engines is HUGE in cost savings.

Remember FbodFathers comment on the Z28 as to it being held as very special, and would be treated as such.
I get that there are cost savings from using existing parts but how can Ford have 3 different V8, different trim levels with a specific engine and GM can't? Is it because GM can't or doesn't want to?

If GM intended to have a 5th Gen Z/28 there would have been.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #1967
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I get that there are cost savings from using existing parts but how can Ford have 3 different V8, different trim levels with a specific engine and GM can't? Is it because GM can't or doesn't want to?

If GM intended to have a 5th Gen Z/28 there would have been.
It appears to me that GM (I am sure its corporate management) just will not commit to specialized engines, ie., boss 302, specific hyper powerful GT500, etc. Have you also noticed they have changed engines and upgraded the Mustang GT engine while the LS3 has not had any enhancements? Thats a reason I may have to look elsewhere down the road. They have a lot of excuses. Just Sayin.

BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #1968
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

GM's money for V8 engine development has/is being $pent on the coming Gen-5 SBC. For widespread use in trucks AND cars.

Ford has amortized the current Mustang platform over now-9 model years, with a 10th to follow, spread over 11 calendar years...Camaro is spread over only 5 calendar years, currently. Ford therefore has money to spend on a couple of specialized engines. Camaro shot its recent "improvement" budget on the chassis upgrades (ZL1 and 1LE - two programs as well) which, according to ALL sources, has paid great(er?) benefits.

Pro Street vs. Pro Tour.

Only so many schekels in the piggybank, regardless of whose bank it is...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #1969
BoostedX2

Quote:
GM's money for V8 engine development has/is being $pent on the coming Gen-5 SBC. For widespread use in trucks AND cars.

Ford has amortized the current Mustang platform over now-9 model years, with a 10th to follow, spread over 11 calendar years...Camaro is spread over only 5 calendar years, currently. Ford therefore has money to spend on a couple of specialized engines. Camaro shot its recent "improvement" budget on the chassis upgrades (ZL1 and 1LE - two programs as well) which, according to ALL sources, has paid great(er?) benefits.

Pro Street vs. Pro Tour.

Only so many schekels in the piggybank, regardless of whose bank it is...
That makes sense, but with the switch to the "new mustang" and the 6th Gen, seems like things will be evened out again. I hope GM is anticipating one or more hipo Gen 5 for the Camaro...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #1970
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Hipo versions of Gen-6 Camaro with Gen-5 SBC? That's fodder for another thread, but no doubt in the plans...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #1971
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I can try to counter your point, but no one here will accept what I say haha, but I will try. And for the record I am not trying to stir the pot.

when i made my point, I was saying if it happened in the same few month span. Say September All new Mustang unveiled, then november Z/28 returns. The Mustang will be a bigger deal, there are too many factors working against the Camaro. By bigger deal, I mean more coverage by auto magazines, more press coverage, more talked about about by enthusiasts. Why you ask?

1. The mustang is getting totally redesigned, its ditching retro, its taking a gamble
2. Finally getting IRS, something people have wanted since 05, and been the main bashing point on Mustangs in every article written about them.
3. Its happening on the cars 50th anniversary.
4. I see more people talking about the 2015 Mustang on Camaro5 then I do on mustang sites I frequent.

If it is a design that fails or undeperforms-its going to be talked about alot. if its a huge success its going to be talked about alot. Either way the all new mustang is a big deal

Now teh Z/28 will get alot of press coverage too, especially if GM does it right BC the last Z/28 I remember, it was simply the V-8 Option on the 90s camaros and was the second tier option as the SS was the top of the line. but to the general automotive community, I cant see it getting more press coverage than when its main competitor releases a completely new model on its 50th birthday.

Basically I can spin your argument to say that when the 6th gen camaro comes out, redesigned, on a new lighter chassis with the new Gen 5 GM V-8s, that a month later a new mustang trim is going to be a bigger deal.

And for the record, I do know what its liek being a die hard fan of a car that is no longer made, hoping it comes back. I love El Caminos- when the G8 ST concept showed up I thought I died and went to heaven lol. so I understand the passion for something hoping it comes back

Last edited by shaffe; 08-22-2012 at 08:59 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #1972
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Your point is moot...

Next-Gen Mustang to arrive April/14...on Stang's 50th Anniversary...as you stated.

IF (cap's/italix'd) our long-overdue Gen-5 Camaro Z(/)28 arrives, it will need to arrive prior to April/14, as the Gen-6 Camaro will bow, mid-'15...a year, roughly, after the renewed Stang. And my supposition is, Camaro would need at least TWO full production years to make the Business Case viable...

As to what would be a "bigger deal", BOTH will be BIG deals...and the magazine cover stories will bear that out.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #1973
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
my argument was based on second chance stating a what if GM releases Z-28 shortly after new stang is unveiled, all what-ifs lol.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #1974
BoostedX2

Quote:
Your point is moot...

Next-Gen Mustang to arrive April/14...on Stang's 50th Anniversary...as you stated.

IF (cap's/italix'd) our long-overdue Gen-5 Camaro Z(/)28 arrives, it will need to arrive prior to April/14, as the Gen-6 Camaro will bow, mid-'15...a year, roughly, after the renewed Stang. And my supposition is, Camaro would need at least TWO full production years to make the Business Case viable...

As to what would be a "bigger deal", BOTH will be BIG deals...and the magazine cover stories will bear that out.
Do you think the new Mustang will arrive without a hi-po model? That seems a stretch to me....

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro