Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Damn Stealerships

Today, I inquired about having my oil an rear differential fluid changed at the dealership I just bought the car from.

I told them I knew the differential fluid was ~$40 and it was a simple job...removing two plugs.

They quoted me $75 for a synthetic oil change and $195 for the rear differential. I'm now going to change the oil and the rear differential fluid myself for $150 total. I really just wanted to use the dealership to get this maintenance put into their system.

The dealership's costs are criminal. They're obviously taking advantage of people who have no idea how much it really costs.
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Yeah they are.. It's pretty fxxxed up
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
I think my dealer quoted me for $90+tax for rear differential fluid change.

But my oil change is free

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Are there any DIY on this yet?
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
I also am not a big fan of the dealer but most shops in my area including mine are at $130 per hour on labor most dealers are close to $150. Thats not really criminal per say cause I get the diff fluid for close to 35 my wholesale cost including friction modifier. Its not like some little 5 minute slam bam deal unless your a dealer flat rate hacker.
I take my time and check fluid for metal/debris take for a test drive make sure no chatter before giving it back to my customer so all in all from lifting the cars to hanging the keys on the board its close to one hour.

Dont call the industry crooks thats badmouthing a profession you have no clue about obviously... have fun doing your diff service on jackstands.
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
MTCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1LE View Post
I also am not a big fan of the dealer but most shops in my area including mine are at $130 per hour on labor most dealers are close to $150. Thats not really criminal per say cause I get the diff fluid for close to 35 my wholesale cost including friction modifier. Its not like some little 5 minute slam bam deal unless your a dealer flat rate hacker.
I take my time and check fluid for metal/debris take for a test drive make sure no chatter before giving it back to my customer so all in all from lifting the cars to hanging the keys on the board its close to one hour.

Dont call the industry crooks thats badmouthing a profession you have no clue about obviously... have fun doing your diff service on jackstands.
I will have fun...thinking about all the money I saved...and it's not a big deal to jack the car up.

There's less "labor" involved in changing the rear diff fluid than an oil change so how does it cost more? My belief is If I'm going to pay for an hour of labor I should get an hour of labor...the vehicle may sit there for an hour but there's ~15 minutes of labor and 10 times out of 10 the mechanic is working on other cars or other services.

I really wasn't calling the industry crooks...just surprised by this dealership. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
So it's going to still cost you $150 to change it yourself... Well think of the labor and overhead the dealership has to pay for out of that $45 more they are charging. Paying the technician, paying the service advisor, paying the electricity, paying for uniform cleaning, shop towels and disposal fees, you see all this adds up... Then they have to make some profit on top of that... So how much are they making? Not as much as you think...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
MTCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
So it's going to still cost you $150 to change it yourself... Well think of the labor and overhead the dealership has to pay for out of that $45 more they are charging. Paying the technician, paying the service advisor, paying the electricity, paying for uniform cleaning, shop towels and disposal fees, you see all this adds up... Then they have to make some profit on top of that... So how much are they making? Not as much as you think...
It's costing me $150 for the synthetic oil, filter, and rear diff fluid. They want $270.

Again, my point is the diff change (fluid and labor) is less than the oil change (filter, oil, labor)...so how is the cost over 2X? I guess I'm missing something...

BTW, the $75 they quoted me for the synthetic oil change I thought was reasonable.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCobra View Post
It's costing me $150 for the synthetic oil, filter, and rear diff fluid. They want $270.

Again, my point is the diff change (fluid and labor) is less than the oil change (filter, oil, labor)...so how is the cost over 2X? I guess I'm missing something...

BTW, the $75 they quoted me for the synthetic oil change I thought was reasonable.
Sorry I misread I thought the 195 was total, and thought that would have been a bargain. Anyway there is a lot of overhead they have to pay out that you don't have to plus they need to make some profit.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
I just did ALL my fluids last week by a local shop down the street with a drive on hoist. He charged me for 1 hour labor ($90) and it did take an hour, I supplied the fluids. I found Moble 1 on sale for $5 a quart and Redline ATF for $11.50 a quart. But he also allowed me to hang out in the shop and re-inspect all my recent suspension mods. The biggest plus was I didn't make a mess in my garage.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Matty1LE

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro 2$$
A stealership is only when they charge you for something that should be covered by warranty or wont warranty yout concerns. When going to any dealer you pay a premium over any other qualified shop. My local dealer gets us killer deals on parts and does honest business.

The other thing about doing any maintenance undocumented and not done thru a dealer/shop could greatly effect how vehicle warranty is carried out. You fudge up on your diff service(hypothetical) or not having anything more than walmart receipts for oils may have them ask you for all service records.. just food for thought
Matty1LE is offline   Reply With Quote