Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Parrish

Drives: 97 3.8
lights wont go off

Ok, I have had one weird day with this car. My car (97 3.8) has been sitting for year now. Other then me occasionally starting it and letting it has had zero action. Yes, I know this is a bad idea, but I had my license takin for possesion of Marijuana. Anyways now onto the car.

I started the morning by taking the car to get a new tire on the one that went flat. On the way there I don't recall any running lights, but I did notice my front driver side turn signal wasn't working. So, when I got home I tried getting my signal to work only to find the other front signal wasn't working either. Both back were fine. When I turn on the running lights both front signal bulbs light up. I bought a new car battery a few days ago and read that it could be the problem. So, I took I disconnected it and then reconected it making it tighter. Well this made both front signals respond. My passenger side one worked again, and my driver side barely pulses (I think my wire may be in bad shape). I will check that out more tomorrow. I think I can fix it.

Now, here is my huge problem that has me completely lost. My lights all turn on now as soon as the car starts. I'm talking headlights,tailights turnsignal lights (stay lit don't flicker). Why? It doesnt seem to be running lights because A)the tailights are also on and B) the headlights are bright and do not get brighter by actually turning the headlights on. They are already on without the switch being on. . . . . . . So, it's the switch yes? . .NO when the car is shut off, but key is still in I turned my lights on and off. they work exactly as they sould.

Are these how the Running lights work in this car? or do I have a problem. What is it?
Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Looking Good in Red

Drives: Pewter 2000 T/A
Send a message via AIM to Looking Good in Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
Ok, I have had one weird day with this car. My car (97 3.8) has been sitting for year now. Other then me occasionally starting it and letting it has had zero action. Yes, I know this is a bad idea, but I had my license takin for possesion of Marijuana. Anyways now onto the car.

I started the morning by taking the car to get a new tire on the one that went flat. On the way there I don't recall any running lights, but I did notice my front driver side turn signal wasn't working. So, when I got home I tried getting my signal to work only to find the other front signal wasn't working either. Both back were fine. When I turn on the running lights both front signal bulbs light up. I bought a new car battery a few days ago and read that it could be the problem. So, I took I disconnected it and then reconected it making it tighter. Well this made both front signals respond. My passenger side one worked again, and my driver side barely pulses (I think my wire may be in bad shape). I will check that out more tomorrow. I think I can fix it.

Now, here is my huge problem that has me completely lost. My lights all turn on now as soon as the car starts. I'm talking headlights,tailights turnsignal lights (stay lit don't flicker). Why? It doesnt seem to be running lights because A)the tailights are also on and B) the headlights are bright and do not get brighter by actually turning the headlights on. They are already on without the switch being on. . . . . . . So, it's the switch yes? . .NO when the car is shut off, but key is still in I turned my lights on and off. they work exactly as they sould.

Are these how the Running lights work in this car? or do I have a problem. What is it?
I'm not sure when they added the automatic running lights, but on my 98 the headlights come on automatically when its dark and the running lights come on automatically when its not dark anymore. The only way to disable them is to have the parking brake activated before you turn the key (it doesn't have to be on all the way, but just so the red brake light come on in the dash) or to hardwire it. It is important that you don't even turn the key to run, otherwise you have to shut off the car and do it again. There is a writeup on this site I believe on how to hardwire it if you are interested, but I really don't have the time to search for it right now.
Looking Good in Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Poltergeist. Get a priest.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking Good in Red View Post
I'm not sure when they added the automatic running lights, but on my 98 the headlights come on automatically when its dark and the running lights come on automatically when its not dark anymore. The only way to disable them is to have the parking brake activated before you turn the key (it doesn't have to be on all the way, but just so the red brake light come on in the dash) or to hardwire it. It is important that you don't even turn the key to run, otherwise you have to shut off the car and do it again. There is a writeup on this site I believe on how to hardwire it if you are interested, but I really don't have the time to search for it right now.
I'm fairly sure the auto lights were added alongside the LS1 in 98. The 97 should behave just like my '96 did, and only turn on if YOU turn them on. They should NOT turn off by themselves, unless you leave the car, doors closed, no key in ignition, for 15 minutes- all lights (including headlights) should de-activate automatically to conserve battery power. The problem might be in said circuit. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about fixing it... Maybe, a priest?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote