Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Exclamation READ! Coilvers & Non-OEM Wheels - NOTE!

Hi,

I've written this in a couple of places so far, but I want to make sure everyone knows this. This is not only for the KW V3's, but for MANY of the coilovers out there.

I've got 20x9 Havoc's on the front and we found out at Stillen on Wed, that the wheel/tire rubs the springs. There's not enough of an offset on my wheels to clear the springs. OEM wheels are fine, but you need to be sure about aftermarket wheels!!

Eric, at Stillen, contacted a local CNC shop and they have made me T6 heat treated and CNC machined 6061 billet aluminum spacers. For my wheels, 30mm would have been too wide and 15mm was too small. So the 25mm (1”) would have worked too but they couldn’t get the camber they needed either. So they ended up at 20mm custom units. These are hub-centric and will even include the new hub lip for the rims.

So, be AWARE if you are installing coilovers and have non-OEM wheels! Get clearance info and see what you might need. I don't want to have the spacers, but it's either take off the coilovers, or buy a new set of wheels...

Also, if you go the spacer route, be sure your wheels have places in the back to fit the OEM studs!! The Havocs do.

Thanks,
Michael J.

PS I'll post actual pictures of my custom spacers when I get them. The attached ones are for example only, but I think they're fairly close.
Attached Images

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
With respect to Pedders, there is actually more room than OE assemblies. If you would rub a Pedders Xa coil over, it would be because of a very poor fitting wheel and tire

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
RyanDenos89
RyanDenos89

Drives: 2010 Red LT1 RS
i just installed my coilovers when i put them on the rubbed but i just had to adjust the top bolt on the coilover assembly the the coilover bolts to the spindle the top hole had a lot of adjustment if it is pushed all the way back the will rub just pull it a little closer to you and on more rubbing
RyanDenos89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Exclamation ANOTHER NOTE:

For all those who are getting coilovers that have rear adjustments on top,

IF you have a trunk sub system - like ********, the sub box on the driver's side interferes with the hole they need to drill in the top! So, be prepared to move it to gain access - which isn't too big a deal - but just note the procedure!

The amp rack on the passenger's side pulls out of the way easier than the sub (or whichever side you have these on)...

Since my ******** box was banging around so much, I put LocTite sealer along the top edge and that stuff is like Darn Cement!! What a pain - it's still not loose yet!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Pedders Xa coilovers and SportsRyder Supercar Coilovers use a wider clevis for increased wheel / tire clearance and increased range of camber adjustment. When we engineer a product for a chassis we pay attention to the details. The wider track created with Pedders Camaro coilovers increases the front track and reduce understeer.

Back to the original post. You are absolutely correct. Any time you change wheels and tires from OE clearance should be checked carefully with the weigh of the car on the wheels. An alignment rack is ideal for this.

Last edited by JusticePete; 04-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote