Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
not necessarily... still a lot of unknowns with the Bosch computer... Some cars like the Mustangs will automatically try to add a bit a timing... The Camaro in theory might be doing the same thing... just don't know... yet... LOL
the computer will continue to add timing until it starts pinging. at which point it will pull back and start over. almost every EFI car out there does this. part of the reason you can run 87 in the SS as well as run 93
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
not necessarily... still a lot of unknowns with the Bosch computer... Some cars like the Mustangs will automatically try to add a bit a timing... The Camaro in theory might be doing the same thing... just don't know... yet... LOL
The factory design specs on the car were mapped for 87 mexico piss rated fuel. Their engineers already state there are no more "aggressive" maps for higher octane fuels.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
bengen5

Drives: 1LT IBM Camaro RS
mexican piss = tequilla ?

1LT/RS 6M IBM CC BA
ordered 3-6-09
VIN # 2G1FF1EV9A9123847
picked up 7-17-09
bengen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #18
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
The factory design specs on the car were mapped for 87 mexico piss rated fuel. Their engineers already state there are no more "aggressive" maps for higher octane fuels.
As CamaroSpike pointed it, it could simply be adding a bit of timing..... I was monitoring a PID called "Spark Retard"... it was definitely changing.... going from 0 to 4.... now was it adding or pulling timing I'm not sure... need to dig in a bit more... unfortunately the Knock Sensor PIDS are not working... But that's how the Mustangs work... they will add timing until the car pings and then back off the timing a bit... I just need to figure out the value range for Spark Retard and if running different octanes makes a difference...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengen5 View Post
mexican piss = tequilla ?
About the same effect if you drink 87 or tequila
Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
lol Mexico piss fuel. Actually the oil Mexico pumps is the same that we get out of the Gulf of Mexico and it's considered one of the better crudes to work with quality wise.

And Mexico does not export refined gasoline from there one Federal run gas company, PEMEX.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
lol Mexico piss fuel. Actually the oil Mexico pumps is the same that we get out of the Gulf of Mexico and it's considered one of the better crudes to work with quality wise.

And Mexico does not export refined gasoline from there one Federal run gas company, PEMEX.
First off, it's a joke --guess you haven't heard the horror stories bout the dreaded Mexican piss...

It has nothing to do with the refining, rather the watered down crap that you find at little hole in the wall places all over the country (our country). The term Mexican piss just conjures the images of where these little shops might have gotten their fuel from.

The point being -- this engine will digest just about anything and still make it's SAE rated power through the wonders of modern technology. Throwing higher octane at it isn't going to change anything.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #22
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
First off, it's a joke --guess you haven't heard the horror stories bout the dreaded Mexican piss...

It has nothing to do with the refining, rather the watered down crap that you find at little hole in the wall places all over the country (our country). The term Mexican piss just conjures the images of where these little shops might have gotten their fuel from.

The point being -- this engine will digest just about anything and still make it's SAE rated power through the wonders of modern technology. Throwing higher octane at it isn't going to change anything.
throwing higher octane may not change anything... then again it might... depends on how adaptive the computer is... I know with the Spanish Oak in the S197 Mustang the GT saw a 5RWHP gain by using premium... I don't think we have enough information on the Bosch in our cars to really know for certain if running premium will change anything... could be any change it does make is quite simply imperceivable by the driver... Again unfortunately my Dashhawk doesn't work monitoring the knock sensors..
Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #23
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
throwing higher octane may not change anything... then again it might... depends on how adaptive the computer is... I know with the Spanish Oak in the S197 Mustang the GT saw a 5RWHP gain by using premium... I don't think we have enough information on the Bosch in our cars to really know for certain if running premium will change anything... could be any change it does make is quite simply imperceivable by the driver... Again unfortunately my Dashhawk doesn't work monitoring the knock sensors..
Agreed -- however the devs for the 3.6DI fuel maps already stated the engine does not actively attempt to advance timing to check if higher grade fuel is there. I'll see if I can dig up the article... basically, they locked it down.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #24
kellertxgen5

Drives: 2LT RS - Black w' black 21's
can someone explain what are pings???
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertxgen5 View Post
can someone explain what are pings???
ICMP Echos.

But no, ping in this context is the pre-detination (knock) of fuel, which producing a "pining" sound simmilar to that of a bb bounding around in a tin can. It kinda goes back to the old days when you could audibly hear it on big carb'd V8's, where you would advance the timing all the way till the point of ping, then retard slightly.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Agreed -- however the devs for the 3.6DI fuel maps already stated the engine does not actively attempt to advance timing to check if higher grade fuel is there. I'll see if I can dig up the article... basically, they locked it down.
ahh... good to know! Wonder who is telling the car to pull almost 4 degree of timing when I get on the gas? I did notice it didn't seem to do it until had driven a bit... wonder if it's temp related.. wish the knock PIDs would work...
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #27
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
ICMP Echos.
Now that's funny! (being a computer geek myself...)
Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #28
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Now that's funny! (being a computer geek myself...)
Woot.