Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Best subwoofer for the trunk?

What's the best subwoofer for the trunk of our cars?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
This is a really subjective question..a more important one would be what type of enclosure sounds best in our cars, and even then you would arrive at different answers based on how you prioritize trunk space, sound quality, power draw amd cost. To answer your original question though,I have 2 arc audio black 10s in a custom sealed enclosure in my trunk and in my opinion they sound better than JL w7s and are slightly (not that much) cheaper. They are audiophile subs designed for maximum sound quality, and if thats what you are looking for they are a good choice.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
This is a really subjective question..a more important one would be what type of enclosure sounds best in our cars, and even then you would arrive at different answers based on how you prioritize trunk space, sound quality, power draw amd cost. To answer your original question though,I have 2 arc audio black 10s in a custom sealed enclosure in my trunk and in my opinion they sound better than JL w7s and are slightly (not that much) cheaper. They are audiophile subs designed for maximum sound quality, and if thats what you are looking for they are a good choice.
Can you load a pic of your trunk up so I can see how much space is taken up?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
7stringtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
Can you load a pic of your trunk up so I can see how much space is taken up?
Im out of town but i can do it for you tomorrow. They did a pro job you can still operate the spare tire are cover and everything with the box installed
Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Im a JL fan too. Great subs, and amps! For mids/tweeter, I like dynaudio.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
jwdominick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
I'm running the JL powered by a RF class D amp, gave just the right amount of low end I was looking for with it turned nearly all the way down. Am is stashed by the factory bose amp under the trunk.
Being 2ohm stable the amp paired perfect with the DVC sub, hits clean and hard being a sealed box.As a semi active audiophile and prior Audio King employee (Ultimate electronics predecessor).

I like the design of the JL box because its solid fiberglass vs MDF which means its lighter, stronger and won't deteriorate like wood does, it takes up nearly no usable space, and looks factory.

Not a ton of pre-fab options out there for our cars yet and typically they aren't this nice. I'd suggest taking a look

http://www.jlaudio.com/product/54216...2W6v3_model%29

It also came with a grille but I only put it on if I am hauling something that may damage the speaker
Attached Images

Last edited by jwdominick; 09-07-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added some pictures
jwdominick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
7stringtheory

Here are the pics of my install.
2 arc audio black 10s
1200w arc audio KS Class G/H amplifier
Sorry for bad quality my phone camera sucks.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
I recommend Sound Solutions Audio (SSA). Either the DCON or the GCON models would sound fantastic. I've tried JL and Rockford Fosgate in the past, and they just don't sound as clean as the SSA subs.

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com...udio/dcon.html

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com...udio/gcon.html
Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I have 2 Diamond Shallow Series 12s (DS124). Since the trunk is so small, the Shallow Series works well to leave some trunk space.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 AM   #10
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
I recommend Sound Solutions Audio (SSA). Either the DCON or the GCON models would sound fantastic. I've tried JL and Rockford Fosgate in the past, and they just don't sound as clean as the SSA subs.

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com...udio/dcon.html

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com...udio/gcon.html
Never heard of this company before. I want a crisp solid thud when my bass hits. I don't like ported boxes for this reason, sounds flappy like a wet fart. Also never heard of arc audio. I have to be honest, if Sound Solutions Audio is truly a great speaker then I would be interested in trying them out. I like that they have dual 2 OHM subs. From the reviews it seems this is a very capable sub but I might have to see one and hear one in person. Next would be power. As soon as I see a dual channel set up I am thinking bridging an amp but that will drop the OHM down so I would have to find a amp(s) capable. What ever I end up doing it will be some time as I am beefing up my RWHP prior to any audio upgrade.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
7stringtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
Never heard of this company before. I want a crisp solid thud when my bass hits. I don't like ported boxes for this reason, sounds flappy like a wet fart. Also never heard of arc audio. I have to be honest, if Sound Solutions Audio is truly a great speaker then I would be interested in trying them out. I like that they have dual 2 OHM subs. From the reviews it seems this is a very capable sub but I might have to see one and hear one in person. Next would be power. As soon as I see a dual channel set up I am thinking bridging an amp but that will drop the OHM down so I would have to find a amp(s) capable. What ever I end up doing it will be some time as I am beefing up my RWHP prior to any audio upgrade.
You should check out the arc audio subs as well they have dual 2 and 4 ohm options and their black series are the cleanest subs i have personally heard. Also in my experience any audio shop that is an arc audio dealer 100% has guys that know what they are talking about with meticulous attention to detail
http://www.arcaudio.com/c/subwoofers...ies_black-10v2
Old 09-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
They aren't as mainstream, but they're a company out of Las Vegas, and I discovered them on an audiophile forum. I had the 10" DCON in a sealed box and nobody would ever believe me when I told them it was just a 10". I'll probably go with a GCON next time though...I want the spoiler to jump off of the car

This person wrote a pretty good review on them: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/#/topics/57705
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 AM   #13
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Both sound like good options. I will defiantly check both out when I am ready to get some low tones going on.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I love that JL side box. Someone needs to mass produce a version of that for the convertible.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote