Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
anyone use dodo juice wax

has anyone used dodo juice products on there car, i just got some for my silver camaro. ive heard very good things and i like they have specially formulated waxes for different colors, anyone with any experience
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Dodo Juice makes a solid product. I don't by into the color specific nonsense, wax is wax. Higher end paste waxes like the dodo line are usually blended with polymers for durability. Dodo's waxes smell great, but I always end up back to Adams Americana, more bang for your buck IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
MuttGrunt

Drives: Not Enough
I have lots of Dodo Juice products to include some they don't currently sell in the US. Their top of the line shampoo is my favorite maintenance shampoo ever: Supernatural Shampoo. Also outstanding is Red Mist Tropical (good luck finding a longer lasting and slicker QD/spray sealant).
There waxes are quite nice though don't get too crazy about colors - that's something that won't last very long, and with such a small amount of wax film being left on the paint the colors make a very very very small difference - its more of just a selling point.
Their latest waxes are two that are blended with a little synthetic protection for added durability and shine. I've yet to try them (we have WAY too many protective products as is) but I'm sure they'll be a lot like Fuzion.
If you're looking for something easy to use, stay away from the hard waxes and the Supernatural. While I love Supernatural and own the full sized wooden tub, it is a harder product to use compared to the rest of their line and offers very little if any benefit over some of their other waxes.

hope this helps!
MuttGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

thanks for the info mutt, i actually bought the trial size 6 pack 3 hard and 3 soft, im gonna do one coat with the hard and one with the soft i hope it will be still pretty easy since ill be useing my porter cable polisher
Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Dodo Juice makes a solid product. I don't by into the color specific nonsense, wax is wax.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
MuttGrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
thanks for the info mutt, i actually bought the trial size 6 pack 3 hard and 3 soft, im gonna do one coat with the hard and one with the soft i hope it will be still pretty easy since ill be useing my porter cable polisher
Right on. I only apply wax by hand using an applicator, and even then a little goes a long way. I've used a Supernatural sampler 5 times and it's only half gone. Now of course I have the full tub so I won't be using that much anymore.

I think you'll find they're some very nice products - but of course you can't expect miracles from any wax in durability or shine.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

luckly im not expecting miracles my paint is really nice washed every week 2 weeks the most spray as you go wax each wash and a nice coat of nano wax so i just want something to make my silver even more shiny =)
Old 09-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Wax doesn't shine your clear coat. Polishing is what brings out the gloss.. Wax is purely a protective layer to help keep the finish looking its best. The only quick way to give your paint that freshly polished look without polishing is using a Glaze, like Adam's Brilliant Glaze. I've used a lot of glaze's, this Adam's glaze is second to none. It can be applied on top of a wax, or under a carnauba wax like dodo juice.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
never heard of it.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 AM   #10
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
never heard of it.
It's a UK based car care company. DodoJuice.com - i've seen a lot of people rave about the stuff - I ordered a few $15 "sampler" jars a while back. It's a good wax, they smell fantastic - but IMO "color specific" waxes are nonsense; and you get way more bang for your buck with Americana.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
MuttGrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Wax doesn't shine your clear coat. Polishing is what brings out the gloss.. Wax is purely a protective layer to help keep the finish looking its best. The only quick way to give your paint that freshly polished look without polishing is using a Glaze, like Adam's Brilliant Glaze. I've used a lot of glaze's, this Adam's glaze is second to none. It can be applied on top of a wax, or under a carnauba wax like dodo juice.

Wax can certainly help a car shine. While the majority of the look of a car will have to do with the condition of the paint job, wax/sealant can help add a certain look. This can be shown in cases in which wax often mutes down metallic flakes as it isn't an optically clear substance, but more translucent.
Glazes often times have oils in them to help create a wet look, and are mainly used to help conceal defects while adding a bit of bling to a car for a limited amount of time.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
MuttGrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
luckly im not expecting miracles my paint is really nice washed every week 2 weeks the most spray as you go wax each wash and a nice coat of nano wax so i just want something to make my silver even more shiny =)
Take into account a wax will leave your silver car looking more liquid-like while toning down the flakes a little bit. Research carnauba jetting for more information on that. A sealant will brighten the paint and add more "shine" which some people like more.

Regardless, the most important thing is to keep her well protected so contaminates come off easily. Easy washing = less of a chance to install swirl marks. Of course silver hides defects rather well, but the difference in jacked up silver paint and polished silver is quite stunning.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #13
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Wax can certainly help a car shine. While the majority of the look of a car will have to do with the condition of the paint job, wax/sealant can help add a certain look. This can be shown in cases in which wax often mutes down metallic flakes as it isn't an optically clear substance, but more translucent.
Glazes often times have oils in them to help create a wet look, and are mainly used to help conceal defects while adding a bit of bling to a car for a limited amount of time.
I agree whole heartedly. I'm getting great durability with the Adam's Brilliant Glaze under carnauba wax 8 weeks and counting. In a controlled test [stand alone glaze - no waxes or sealants] I got 6 weeks of noticeable difference between taped areas of my work van stored outdoors 24/7. 6 Weeks of durability with weekly washes is outstanding for a glaze. Give it a whirl next time you need a glaze.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #14
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Wax may give your paint more depth, but it absolutely is NOT going to make it any shinier than it is once you finish polishing it. Wax is not a shining agent, it is a protectant. We're not talking about hardwood or tile floors here. It's car paint and polishing is what cleans it up and makes it shine.

I can definitely prove this with a video.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote