Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Best way to reduce wheelhop

best way to reduce wheelhop, ie rear subframe bushings or toe links or trailing arms?
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
All of the above are good options. A good set of rear trailing arms are sufficient for most applications but a set of solid sub frame bushings, while costing more, has benefits beyond just killing wheel hop. There are always trade offs. What mods do you currently have and what are you planning in the future? How do you use your car?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
All of the above are good options. A good set of rear trailing arms are sufficient for most applications but a set of solid sub frame bushings, while costing more, has benefits beyond just killing wheel hop. There are always trade offs. What mods do you currently have and what are you planning in the future? How do you use your car?
Looking to start at the weak points of the rear end first. axels will come soon but not in the budget at this point in time, trying to put off axels as long as possible. I have a cold air intake but LT headers are soon to come along with cam and all that good stuff. The car is weekend car would like it be able to take pounding and ask for more without fears of anything breaking.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
Looking to start at the weak points of the rear end first. axels will come soon but not in the budget at this point in time, trying to put off axels as long as possible. I have a cold air intake but LT headers are soon to come along with cam and all that good stuff. The car is weekend car would like it be able to take pounding and ask for more without fears of anything breaking.
You have a long way to go before you have to worry about breaking stuff. There are plenty of supercharged cars running stock axles with no issues.

You will definitely benefit from some suspension upgrades. People often focus too much on just adding horsepower and never give any consideration to the fact that horsepower means nothing if you can't transfer it to the pavement. I would recommend both rear trailing arms and solid sub frame bushings but I know that isn't in everyone's budget. The Pfadt rear trailing arms will allow the rear suspension to respond more quickly and will increase traction and reduce wheel hop. The Pfadt solid sub frame mounts will lock in the rear sub frame which will improve handling in several ways while improving traction and eliminating wheel hop as well.

This video gives a good visual demonstration of the change.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
You have a long way to go before you have to worry about breaking stuff. There are plenty of supercharged cars running stock axles with no issues.

You will definitely benefit from some suspension upgrades. People often focus too much on just adding horsepower and never give any consideration to the fact that horsepower means nothing if you can't transfer it to the pavement. I would recommend both rear trailing arms and solid sub frame bushings but I know that isn't in everyone's budget. The Pfadt rear trailing arms will allow the rear suspension to respond more quickly and will increase traction and reduce wheel hop. The Pfadt solid sub frame mounts will lock in the rear sub frame which will improve handling in several ways while improving traction and eliminating wheel hop as well.

This video gives a good visual demonstration of the change.

i have been leaning towards the soild subframe mounts ever since i talked with aaron from pfadt when he was in brainerd raceway in minnesota this summer, this is going to be a winter project. Just trying to find out all things needed to reduce wheelhop as much as possible. are toe links a necessary item in this

Last edited by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS; 11-07-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
i have been leaning towards the soild subframe mounts ever since i talked with aaron from pfadt when he was in brainerd raceway in minnesota this summer, this is going to be a winter project. Just trying to find out all things needed to reduce wheelhop as much as possible. are toe links a necessary item in this
The Pfadt guys spend a lot of time at the track., and it shows in their products. The solid sub frame mounts and rear trailing arms will kill the wheel hop. The toe links are more for reducing deflection in cars that are used more aggressively. For a daily driver or weekend street car they probably aren't needed.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Awesome video. Really shows the difference. I have a V6 and my only mods are Intake and Exhaust atm, but I plan to take this baby Autocrossing, so in early 2011 I will start the suspension mods.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Awesome video. Really shows the difference. I have a V6 and my only mods are Intake and Exhaust atm, but I plan to take this baby Autocrossing, so in early 2011 I will start the suspension mods.
That video lays it all out there. Hit me up when you get ready and we will put something together for you.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
the best way to reduce wheelhop?

don't push the gas pedal down as far.

and it's free!

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
the best way to reduce wheelhop?

don't push the gas pedal down as far.

and it's free!
Yeah but its not as much fun!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
If you want a staged recipe, this is what works best for correcting wheelhop, in this order:

1 - Trailing Arms w/rear bushing upgrade
2 - Cradle Bushing Inserts or full Cradle Bushings
3 - Differential Bushings

Most cars can cure wheelhop with option #1 but higher horsepower cars sometimes need all 3. Additionally, if you drag race a lot and have sticky track tires, the launch can shock the suspension enough that the toe bushings will deflect. This can actually contribute to wheel hop as well and may require a Toe Rod upgrade to correct.

If interested, you can click on any of the above links to get more information.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote