Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
ride height and axles (gurus and experienced advice needed)

so this weekend i broke the passenger rear axle in 2 places twice, one each day.

it broke right on the inside (like the axle side) of the joints, clean shear.

my question is am i to low? is this adding extra stress? i am at 25 and 3/4 inches from wheel lip to fender.

first one i thought bad luck plus added traction plus uneven pavement plus turning left etc. second one happened on a straight away so some of my theory got disproved.

fun weekend at ACS in fontana, i was pretty quick...bummer about axles but this is the nature of game. trying to figure out if i am causing this with my ride height.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I don't think your ride height is an issue. Stock height from fender to bottom lip of a 20 inch wheel is 680 mm (26.77 in.). You are only lowered about an inch sounds like. Lowering too much causes more of a problem for the CV joints, never heard of it causing the axle shaft to break.

Elaborate on the suspension mods you have. Stick or auto? What kind of tires? What were you doing exactly when it broke?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I don't think your ride height is an issue. Stock height from fender to bottom lip of a 20 inch wheel is 680 mm (26.77 in.). You are only lowered about an inch sounds like. Lowering too much causes more of a problem for the CV joints, never heard of it causing the axle shaft to break.

Elaborate on the suspension mods you have. Stick or auto? What kind of tires? What were you doing exactly when it broke?
auto using tap shift (yes i know, standards are no go for me) coilovers, solid subframe and cradle bushings.nitto nt01 285 20. ~450 n.a hp/tq wheel

first was a sweeping left in uneven pavement i downshifted and snap. second was in back straight i upshifted and snap.

i will take pictures when i get home of where the breaks happened. I thought it was transmission first time so i was a little releaved when my buddy heard it and immediatly said its in the rear.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
It's easy enough to check, with the car is in the air, remove the rear strut assembly, (4 bolts at top and 1 at the bottom) then you can move the suspension up and down by hand, move it through it's range and check that the axle isn't bottoming out through the normal range of motion that you will experience with the car (typically only 3"-4" is needed total range give or take)

The only issues that i've heard of were on cars that were 'slammed', and your car doesn't seem to be slammed.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
SPCBA

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376339736.793673.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  140.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376339758.339370.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  138.4 KB
Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
SPCBA

same thing on both sides of joint

no my car is by no means slammed...i live where its just not possible without damaging my car.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Rob@WretchedMS

What suspension mods do you have on the car?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
SPCBA

kw variant 3 coilovers (settings all in middle). subframe bushings. cradle bushings. granetelli brace (rear only).

2010 ss auto. i went to ~20 track days/weekends and this is the first thing that broke aside from brake stuff. broke 2 days in a row. only thing that was new this weekend was front calipers which have no bearing in this convo, nt01 tires, and of course the axle i replaced on saturday night which i broke again on sunday.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Rob@WretchedMS

Check your Rear control arm on that side, make sure it's not bent and twisted in the same rotation that the wheel and axle make allowing it to contact the coilover or something else.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Pete (Pedders) has posted a caution to not go much below 660mm.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
I was below that recommendation and I had issues. I have since solved that.

Sounds like a perfect oppurtunity to upgrade to some DSS 1K HP Axles. Get the Road Race versions or I think they may have a stock version they upgrade the grease in to better handle the track. Either way call Frank at DSS or JDP and they can hook you up.

I love mine.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
I was below that recommendation and I had issues. I have since solved that.

Sounds like a perfect oppurtunity to upgrade to some DSS 1K HP Axles. Get the Road Race versions or I think they may have a stock version they upgrade the grease in to better handle the track. Either way call Frank at DSS or JDP and they can hook you up.

I love mine.

T.
Did you raise your car or just got different axles and stayed at the same ride height?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Raised the car just a little to the 660ish recommended ride height.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Raised the car just a little to the 660ish recommended ride height.

T.
Ahh cool. I went with that recommendation as well. That's also what I suggested to Blake since he broke both days.

Blake get a trailer and AAA