Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Not-Yet-Dead Ford Ranger Outsells Mustang In April

Quote:
The Ford Ranger, one of the oldest vehicles currently in production, is slated for termination. That didn't stop It from outselling Dearborn's recently facelifted Mustang and these nine other vehicles last month. The Ranger's last major update? 2001. Wow.
SOURCE
Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
My 99 Ranger was the worst vehicle I've ever owned. Total lemon. That was the last Ford for me.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I have a `00 Rebadged Ranger posing as a Mazda. It's nice having a truck that still looks new because they really didn't update it in 10 years... ahhhh. Now of course, the thing is slow as heck, but people still don't believe me when I tell them it's 10 years old. But the easiest way to tell is the frosted headlamps. They stopped using frosted headlamps on cars in the early 2000's for the most part.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Red face

it says the last major update was in 2001, that is not correct, the last major update was in 93. they only gave it a new front clip, new interior, and changed the style of the rear lights and wheels in 2001. I know this cause my buddy had a 2002 ranger that got sideswiped and he got a door off of a 97/98 Ranger as well as the bed, he simply swapped out the tail gate and rear tail lights from his 2002 onto the older bed and then had it mounted to the frame and color matched to the rest of the truck. I wonder what ford's next small truck will look like.

edit, I looked up Ranger on wikipedia, sure the later models had some changes to the way they made the frames, and updated the front suspension but sheet metal wise they have been the same from the A pillar to the back of the bed. it is the same with the Ford Crown Vic it has basically been the same car since 1992 but the body on frame of it has been mostly the same as it has been since the mid 80s.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
it says the last major update was in 2001, that is not correct, the last major update was in 93. they only gave it a new front clip, new interior, and changed the style of the rear lights and wheels in 2001. I know this cause my buddy had a 2002 ranger that got sideswiped and he got a door off of a 97/98 Ranger as well as the bed, he simply swapped out the tail gate and rear tail lights from his 2002 onto the older bed and then had it mounted to the frame and color matched to the rest of the truck. I wonder what ford's next small truck will look like.

edit, I looked up Ranger on wikipedia, sure the later models had some changes to the way they made the frames, and updated the front suspension but sheet metal wise they have been the same from the A pillar to the back of the bed. it is the same with the Ford Crown Vic it has basically been the same car since 1992 but the body on frame of it has been mostly the same as it has been since the mid 80s.
Not quite correct on both accts. the Ranger received a major suspension upgrade in 98 along with stying tweeks, 2001 got more suspension and styling tweeks and also picked up the 4.0 SOHC V6 along with the 5 speed auto, so 2001 was a rather major refresh.

The Crown Vic received suspension tweeks, a hydroformed frame and rack and pinion steering in 03. Styling was completely changed in 98 also and it is totally different from the 92-97 "aero" vics. I believe it was 2001 or 2002 when the Crown Vic got the PI headed 4.6 also.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
And like the Crown Vic they'll probably keep making the things till the tooling wears out...

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
LOL... thats nuts!! It has to be something to do with fleet sales... I think every city agency around here has at least a couple dozen of those things rolling around for various reasons.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
I would have waited for the 5.0 myself. I could understand mustang sales slipping in anticipation of the new motors.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I don't understand the point here. Where does it stack up against the other trucks in it's class? I see it beats the dodge, but that doesn't surprise me. What about the rest? There is where we will see why it's going bye bye.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Not quite correct on both accts. the Ranger received a major suspension upgrade in 98 along with stying tweeks, 2001 got more suspension and styling tweeks and also picked up the 4.0 SOHC V6 along with the 5 speed auto, so 2001 was a rather major refresh.
'styling tweeks' but that was limited to the front clip, trim parts and interior. the cab (minus the front clip), cab doors and bed were the same from 93 to present.