Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-03-2023, 08:59 PM   #1
ss camaro-monte

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss, 87 monte ss
Got car back from GPI. Need some help with new noise

Well I got the car back from GPI but I have some new noises and steering/pulling problems.

So I got the car back. They did heads, cam, eaton truc trac and gears along with some other things. Well all seems well with the motor but the steering wheel is a smidge off from before and I noticed when I was on my way home on the highway doing about 75-80 it runs straight with the throttle applied just cruising but as soon as I let off the throttle it pulls to the right a little bit. That is the first problem. Gpi thinks it's an alignment issue. So I will go and get an alignment but it was straight before but either way I know a car can get out of alignment so I will get that done.

The other problem is a noise from the rear when I turn at low speeds. It seems to do it when I make right hand turns. It is really loud, almost like a clanking or mild banging. Gpi mentioned a noise but I thought they meant the bmr poly bushings. I didn't notice it until I got off the highway to refuel in Arkansas. So I will have to call them back tomorrow and see what they say, but I assume it has something to do with the rear end or possibly both issues could be an alignment problem?

Let me know your thoughts if you have any. As I know from experience chasing down noises is not easy to do.
ss camaro-monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:44 PM   #2
ss camaro-monte

I didn't get ahold of them today but I will have to get an alignment next week and see if that helps. I can only get it to do it on right turns.
But it is way way faster.lol
Videos maybe this weekend. Just got the new wheels on today.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss camaro-monte View Post
I didn't get ahold of them today but I will have to get an alignment next week and see if that helps. I can only get it to do it on right turns.
But it is way way faster.lol
Videos maybe this weekend. Just got the new wheels on today.
The tru-trac is a little noisy you may experience clunks and new noises with it. Mine is set up properly and still makes clunking / banging noises especially at low speed its normal for the unit. Chances are its probably nothing but if you're worried about it bring it back to them.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:58 AM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtar41 View Post
The tru-trac is a little noisy you may experience clunks and new noises with it. Mine is set up properly and still makes clunking / banging noises especially at low speed its normal for the unit. Chances are its probably nothing but if you're worried about it bring it back to them.
Same thing with a wave-trac… Mine got a bit quieter over time, or my hearing got worse, which is certainly possible…

The steering pull (on throttle release) sounds like alignment issue, which I agree is borne out by the steering wheel alignment… Even a small discrepancy can make a significant difference… Heck, I even had two alignment set-ups, one for street and one for mile racing…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:14 AM   #5
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
My Trutrac in my truck is fairly quiet, The one in my Camaro will make some noise on slow tight turns Its even worse if the turn causes inside wheel to unload coming out of a parking lot that is not level or something.

If you get a chance can you get car up and see how much back and forth rotation you have before Drive shaft spins.

The wider the tire the smaller the alignment has to be off for you to notice it.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:36 AM   #6
WspoonSS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
When I pulled my diff I had to remove certain suspension parts that affected the alignment.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:29 PM   #7
ss camaro-monte

In the alignment shop now. I will update but that is what I was thinking about the rear noise. I have heard Detroit lockers can be loud but didn't know that about the eaton.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:17 PM   #8
ss camaro-monte

Alignment and all bushings are good and noise is still there. I am assuming it is like others have said and the eaton tru trac is noisy at low speed turns. At least that is what I am telling myself. Lol

There were some other problems that I wasn't too happy with. There were several small things that were looked over and my brother and I had to fix them on our own and 1 problem still unresolved but they really didn't take ownership of it and deflected it back as something that was caused from previous wear or low quality product. Which isn't the case and I will post on another thread to see if someone knows how to fix otherwise I will have to take it to a bodyshop and pay out of my own pocket to fix.lol
What do you want for 10k+lol

But the major work they did, motor, tune, trans cooler and rear and gears etc seems like quality work. It seems to me they have sooooo much business that they might be rushing to quick and don't spot check the little things that really shouldn't be missed on a customer's car. I included some pictures of what I mean. Not big things, but they should have taken more ownership of it in my opinion. Am I 100% satisfied as a customer. No, but at least the major work was a success.
Attached Images

Last edited by ss camaro-monte; 05-08-2023 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 05-08-2023, 09:44 PM   #9
ss camaro-monte

The pictures you see are off the catback not hooked up on the passenger side rear connecting to my tailpipes. I was told the clamp was cheap. It was a solo catback kit. Never had a problem with it in over 30k miles. My brother and I got it clamped down no problems with just sockets but it must have either been loose already or came loose on my way back from Arkansas.

The 2nd pic is the left side o2 sensor. When we found the catback hanging we also found the o2 sensor hanging. It burned through the sheath but not the wires. We put electric tape on it and zip tied it in 3 places away from the header. My guess is they did zip tie it like the other side but it was too close to the header and melted. We have 3 zip ties on that sucker now and away from the header. The other problem we found was that the o2 sensors were not tightened in the header on either side. They were in there but just sitting loosely. We tightened them down.

Last picture is the hood. This is the one that is the big problem. It isn't aligned correctly were it meets the front nose. This is the other problem my brother and I can't fix. The bumpers don't help with the adjustment and the front nose is perfectly lined up with the fenders so the nose is on correctly but it must be something with the latch or something else that isn't correct on the bottom piece where the latch connects. Don't know why it didn't line up but it didn't have the problem before.

Lastly the lights are pointed up to high and when I drive at night I get the high beams turned on and flashed at me because I am apparently blinding oncoming traffic. Don't know how that happen and they said they didn't adjust lights but again problem wasn't there when I dropped off the car.

Any of you guys have any ideas for the hood? I will post some pics tomorrow but I am out of my element with the hood latch and how to fix that. Otherwise off to the bodyshop to try and fix or figure out.

Last edited by ss camaro-monte; 05-08-2023 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:02 PM   #10
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
That's a shame you had so many things to do with!

For the hood, did you try loosening the hood bolts at the hinges? This should allow you to move the hood up to help close the gap where it meets the front bumper. I know you weren't the one that removed it, but one trick I came across somewhere on the forum was to put painters tape on the hood before taking it off to help line it up when reinstalling it.

Name:  hood bolts.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  278.6 KB

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 06:25 PM   #11
ss camaro-monte

Bee, no I have not. Only at the bumpers or stoppers in the engine compartment. My brother said something similar. He always uses an erasable marker to put where the hood was set.
They didn't think it was the hood hinges but the latch. I will look at it this weekend when I have a second pair of hands to help me with the hood.

I adjusted the lights some and they seem better, not as high.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:58 AM   #12
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
What would worry me are the things that can't be seen. Was the hood removed? For what reason? Did you have suspension parts installed that could affect the rake of the vehicle? Making the lights aim up?
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #13
ss camaro-monte

Hood was removed because motor was pulled. Front nose was pulled for trans cooler.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:19 PM   #14
JAFWF
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 1994 Z/28 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss camaro-monte View Post
Hood was removed because motor was pulled. Front nose was pulled for trans cooler.

So what we have here is simply a case of shoddy workmanship. Have seen it happen before, a company starts believing their on pr.
JAFWF is offline   Reply With Quote