Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
What are the first things you do to your vehicle?

That long awaited camaro-day is coming up, but what is the first customization things that you do to make your camaro/other vehicle yours.

First and foremost, i tint those windows! 20% all the way around (Darkest legal amount). Saves the interior of the car and makes it look sexy, i think i have yet to see a car that doesnt look good with black tinted windows (i even tinted my "old man brown" 96 nissan altima windows before i got the cobalt, and it look alot better).

Second, i put something from K&N in it. I mean like a Cold air intake (more power, better fuel mileage and less wear on your engine) or at least a new air filter from them. That extra day or so of gas adds up in the long run, and who doesn't love the thrill of putting something into their car that makes it respond quicker? Makes you feel like a kid on christmas day.

Anyone Else?
VictoryRed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
After getting mine I'll be lucky if I can afford to put gas in it!!! High monthly payments + high insurance premiums = no $$ for toys!!! But I'll be content just to have my Camaro!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
liquidfire350

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
most likely, a cold air intake, probably k&n. it wont be too long before they have one out. i think it will be a while before you start to see a large list of aftermarket extras
liquidfire350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
You will be able to get a Cold Air Kit for your New Camaro, with either the V-6 or V-8 directly from the Dealership or from the factory, it is one of the options listed. I put the Cold Air Kit in my Dodge Magnum, that has the Hemi (5.7) and it increased my highway mileage from 25 to 30 miles per gallon

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Personally, if I end up getting one of the new camaros (I'm still going back and forth on whether to get a new LS or to buy an 84 and restore it that way I want. I do love those third gens.) I'd be doing a full custom header back exhaust - four magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster mufflers, resonator delete. That and a custom spectre modular intake, porting/polishing the TB, and then a tune. Should provide much better gas mileage and a huge jump in power/responsiveness.
- Xanthos

P.S. - After that, its just exterior and suspension mods on my list.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
I wouldn't do much to it. Maybe add a short throw hurst later on too (if not factory). Not much more until I see what comes out in 5 years. I'd just be coming out of college, and with what I found that I'd be making I'd be able to just afford the 1SS as it is w/ insurance (23 by the time I graduate..so 2 years in my insurance will drop).
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
I would take my Camaro to Discount Tire and trade in my tires for some run flat versions. I have done this with new truck tires in the past.

I want to check and see if I can get a little wider tire also. I don't even know if there are correct run flat tires for the Camaro!?
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
QME_SS

Drives: hoping to get the SS
if i'm lucky to buy one, lowering springs. 430hp is more than enough(for now)
QME_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Painted Silver SS stripes on my Red Jewel 2SS, then tinted windows. Once thats done its time for headers and a catback...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
First, look for a non-drill solution to a front license plate bracket. I pray that I my dealer doesn't drill holes in that beautiful Camaro bumper for a damned plastic bracket.

Second, finish breaking it in and changing all of the fluids. Machined metal parts wear against each other to make smooth contact surfaces. Where do you think all of that metal goes.

Third, a cold air intake. I love the throaty sound in the cockpit.

Fourth, start looking for the aftermarket "SS" badge to replce the in the middle of the grill.

Last, (and this is a while down the road) try to talk the wife into collectively saving some toy money to put a pro-charger under the hood.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
First, look for a non-drill solution to a front license plate bracket. I pray that I my dealer doesn't drill holes in that beautiful Camaro bumper for a damned plastic bracket.

Second, finish breaking it in and changing all of the fluids. Machined metal parts wear against each other to make smooth contact surfaces. Where do you think all of that metal goes.

Third, a cold air intake. I love the throaty sound in the cockpit.

Fourth, start looking for the aftermarket "SS" badge to replce the in the middle of the grill.

Last, (and this is a while down the road) try to talk the wife into collectively saving some toy money to put a pro-charger under the hood.
Some states have a law that the front License bracket has to be installed on any car sold in that state before delivery. Unless you can talk you dealer into not installing it before you get it you may be out of luck...

One options is purchase the car in a state that has no front plate... then you can mount the plate any way you want.

Usually what I do first is remove any dealer identification stickers or license tags/frames. then I will look the car over and see if any Pin Striping or other style stripes would look good on the car, and then I stripe it. ( I always use tape stripes, because if I get tired of the look they are easily replaced with new stripes, you can't do that with paint)
Next if the car has ugly wheels I will look for a nice set to put on it. I think the Wheels make a plain car look good...
Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 AM   #12
rocknrollcali87

Drives: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro
License plate mod (no drilled holes!) brand new car cover to keep the paint clean from being crapped on by birds. Invisible bra maybe and maybe a tint. Keeping mine stock

It's 4 fat guys in a Geo up a hill, we can't go any faster!!
rocknrollcali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Keeping it stock at first. Have a really good paint shop in town and may have them do paint black stripes on it. First I am just going to enjoy it though. My son and I are thinking of taking it on a 2000 mile round trip road trip to see my parents up in Kansas. We would do that in May.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 AM   #14
Lord Grey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Painting the ground effects to match the body (black). I've already worked out an agreement with my dealer where they'll give me the parts to take to my body shop for painting, then bring them back for dealer install.

BTW, I've been lurking on this site for weeks, picking up great information. This place, and you guys, are amazing. The enthusiasm and knowledge found here simply rocks.
Lord Grey is offline   Reply With Quote