Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2023, 10:53 PM   #1
Danny1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT w/RS 2013
Engine Cooling Fan on High when A/C is turned ON

Hello guys, this is my first time posting in this forum. I have a question regarding my 2013 Camaro LT engine fan.

So background of how it started :/

My A/C started to act up with my drivers side throwing cold air and the passenger side throwing warm air. I believe this could be an issue with the blend door which I have not checked. Before I begin to dig deeper into the problem with the blend door I decided to re-fill the A/C refrigerant. During the process of filling up the A/C, I activated the fan to full blast to fill up the refrigerant. After finishing, I disconnected the refrigerant and heard my cooling fan running on high. I turned off the A/C and fan, and it still kept going on full blast. I decided to turn off the car and that's when the cooling fan turned off. When I turn my Camaro back on, the cooling fan does not turn on. I then proceeded to turn on the A/C again and that's when the engine cooling fan starts to go on full blast again. I turned off the A/C once again and waited for 10 minutes and still the engine cooing fan did not turn off until I turn my car off.

How I've checked for potential problems

The problem still remained after a couple days. I began by disconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected for around 20 minutes when I connected the battery right back. I thought this could "reset" the problem but as I connected the battery and turned my A/C back on, the engine fan started to go on high again. I then did some research on potential problems. First, I stumbled upon the temperature sensor. I tested to see if my car would respond or not to a high temperature. I drove the car around the freeway, and you know with the 105 freeway on stop and go traffic during the afternoon helped my car get really warmed up haha. Once I got home, the temperature was on 219°F. I opened the hood and checked my temperature again and it was at 221° F. That's when the fan kicked in and cooled my car right back to 185° F. Then that proves to me that the temperature sensor is not at fault as it cooled my car down when the engine was hot, and the fan turns on only when the engine is running hot or when I turn my A/C on. I then realized that it could be a bad relay or fuse. I started to check fuses 11 ( Cooling Fan Relay), 41 (Cooling Fan High) and 44 ( Cooling Fan Low ). All fuses were checked with a Multimeter and they all worked fine. I even rotated them and checked with other fuses and they seemed to work still. I then proceeded to check Relays K612 ( Cooling Fan High), K613 ( Cooling Fan Low) and K614 ( Cooling Fan Control). I tested it with a 9V battery and a Multimeter. All 3 relays clicked and the Multimeter read correctly.

What do you guys think the problem might be? Should I check all relays and fuses again once more?. Or could the problem be stuck on the A/C controls under the radio ?

P.s - I still might have my blend door issue Since its summer time and its really hot, I'm now in the constant search for the solution to both my A/C problems. Thank you in advance for the help
Danny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 11:35 PM   #2
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
I probably missed it, but what are you saying the problem is?
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 11:53 PM   #3
Danny1

Hey sorry , maybe I didn’t specify it lol. My problem is that the Engine cooling fan turns on full blast every time I turn on my A/C. It’s as if my car is burning up to the point where the fan kicks to full blast when I just turn on my A/C.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:31 AM   #4
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Will it do the same the next morning when the engine temperature is cool ?
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 12:53 AM   #5
Danny1

Yeah unfortunately:(. No matter if the engine is cold or hot. Just by turning on my A/C the engine cooling ran runs high even if the engine is cool or a cold start.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:46 AM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1 View Post
Yeah unfortunately:(. No matter if the engine is cold or hot. Just by turning on my A/C the engine cooling ran runs high even if the engine is cool or a cold start.
Could be a bad evaporator temperature sensor.

But keep in mind, the fans are programmed to always be running when the AC is turned on. This is required to cool the freon in the condenser. However when the AC is on if the fans stay on high all the time or doesn't come on at all, could mean the temp sensor is bad.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:55 AM   #7
Danny1

Ohh okay , yeah I noticed that the fans turn on with the AC but lately they began to stay on full blast. I noticed when the car is starting to run hot at around 221° F , the fans kick in to cool it down. I will check the temp sensor just in case that’s my problem. Thank you so much!
Old 07-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #8
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Ohh okay , yeah I noticed that the fans turn on with the AC but lately they began to stay on full blast. I noticed when the car is starting to run hot at around 221° F , the fans kick in to cool it down. I will check the temp sensor just in case that’s my problem. Thank you so much!
I believe that is the correct temp for the fans to kick in.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:13 AM   #9
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Agreed, that's how it's supposed to work. Is there a concern with too much air for you?

Here's the schematic if you want to troubleshoot further.
Attached Images

joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 11:16 AM   #10
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Why did you refill? Did you put gauges on to identify you were low on charge? If you just charged it just to charge it, you probably overfilled the system. Which could lead to a high pressure on the high side. Thus turning the fan on high. Because the system is trying to condense the vaporized refrigerant to lower the pressure. Overcharging can cause compressor damage. Modern vehicle a/c systems are very sensitive to the amount of charge. Slightly too much or too little will cause issues. Their not like the older vehicles which were designed differently. Sadly it seems like the door from reading other posts. But 1 person stated they corrected the issue by charging the system when 1 side was warm. I do not move the selector completely to cold or hot. I figure it may take the constant pressure off the door by trying to keep it shut/open.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #11
Danny1

Thank you ! I will take a further look into it. Yeah we’ll, the fans turn on but it’s on full blast which concerns me. It usually would turn on with the AC but at normal speeds.
Old 07-14-2023, 03:06 PM   #12
Danny1

Before refilling it was on low , so I charged it to the green which was a good amount. Yeah I read from a post that recharging them system could’ve helped. I tried it just in case before touching the blend door lol. I constantly leave it on cold so I figure it probably is the blend door that went out. Now I have that and the fan issue that sticks to high every time I turn on the AC :(.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:34 PM   #13
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Before refilling it was on low , so I charged it to the green which was a good amount. Yeah I read from a post that recharging them system could’ve helped. I tried it just in case before touching the blend door lol. I constantly leave it on cold so I figure it probably is the blend door that went out. Now I have that and the fan issue that sticks to high every time I turn on the AC :(.
Low freon will also cause it to blow hot on one side and somewhat cool on the other. GM uses a crappy high side port with a rubber ball valve instead of a schrader valve and they leak like crazy so it's recommended to either replace the port every year if you put on a GM replacement or replace it with an after market port that uses a schrader valve. So if you was low on freon, fix this and make sure you don't have a leak before touching the blend door.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 05:05 PM   #14
Danny1

Ohh okay , I’ll look into changing it so i have it changed before touching the blend door and it prevents future issues with the AC. Thanks a lot for you help !