Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #141
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Thanks for the reply and sorry if I came off a bit too strong in a couple earlier posts, but I guess it is just the passion showing through.

I'm glad to see the Heritage Grill made it on the 2011. It is one of the best features on the 2010 Pace Car and I get the most comments on it because it is noticeably different than the standard Camaro Production Grill.

One thing I would like to see, which is on my 2010, is the front fender Centennial Era Badges. Even if it is the same one as last years, it is still part of the 2009-2011 Centennial Era. A throwback wing and wheel badge would be cool as well. Something small, but particular to this car.

I think the Houndstooth inserts and a white top would have made the 2011 Pace Car as close to perfect as possible.

SO what color is the top anyhow?
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #142
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Thanks ATOM for all your insight... it's greatly appreciated...

I just have one simple request... Number these cars 1 - 500... Even if it's just a piece of paper that ships w/ the car.

I get asked so many times what number my car is...? I have no idea?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #143
LT4Lover
LT4Lover

Drives: 2011 SG 2SS/RS,'97 30th Z28 SS LT4
Thanks to Atom for the background on these pace cars. Interesting to get the 'creators' perspective. If I am reading between the lines correctly it seems those cars will have a black top. Not ideal but maybe not a deal breaker either - I would need to see it with the top up. Too bad about the houndstooth not making it in either. Hopefully we see at least one or two pace cars make it out here.
LT4Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #144
autoguy

I'm thinking the Tan top would maybe look better than the black?????
Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #145
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoguy View Post
I'm thinking the Tan top would maybe look better than the black?????
White is difficult to keep clean and the manufacturer does not supply a white top (yet) but even so, they should have made an exception with this model the same way they did with the NM purple car (purple top). Deliver the car with either a white or orange top.

Very few folks who buy the 2011 Indy will use the car on a regular basis anyways and manufacturers like Meguirs have come a long way in developing products which keep fabric roofs clean.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #146
autoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
White is difficult to keep clean and the manufacturer does not supply a white top (yet) but even so, they should have made an exception with this model the same way they did with the NM purple car (purple top). Deliver the car with either a white or orange top.

Very few folks who buy the 2011 Indy will use the car on a regular basis anyways and manufacturers like Meguirs have come a long way in developing products which keep fabric roofs clean.
White would be my first choice. Orange would be my Last. Top will be down 95% of the time anyhow, so it's not a dealbreaker for me.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #147
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Top up is not going to look good anyway you color it. It's just a temporary cover IMO... Black works for me...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #148
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Hmmm, I like my stripes better, I'd peel those vinyl stripes off and paint them right.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #149
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Autoguy
It's pretty cool that you have one of last years Indy coupes, and may consider completing the "Set". If you happened to see my post from last year, you would know how disappointed we were that the IP stripes didn't make it into production. They were being developed for production all along the way, but because of the late call to make replicas in 2010 at all........we just ran out of time at the very last minute. Execution on a detail like this had to be perfect, the following year has allowed us the time to get them right for the convertible, where they will be an even bigger impact with the top down. Maybe if enough Coupe owners show interest, we can make orange with white striped IP inserts available to you guys to retro fit.......
As far as 21" wheels, if u purchase a set of the Synergy Series wheels (the silver w/red stripe)....your car would look exactly like the first sketch I did.......which would be very cool. The red stripe should look OK, since the Inferno Orange stripes have so much color flop.......in some lighting conditions they almost look red....the 21" wheels & tires were not on last years car (which would only hurt the
"look" of a SET) and are expensive, thus to keep the price on the Indy car down, we didn't include them.(see $$$ of Neiman Markus convertible)
We do have other Indy specific details (beside the IP stripes) on this low production vehicle that just haven't been photographed by anyone yet. The Debossed INDY 500 logos in the headrest are very tastefully done, as well as the specific INDY 500 sill plates. Wish I could tell you something more on the convertible top color, but u pretty much have that figured out already. If if makes u feel any better, the white top was discussed many times.
We appreciate everyones passion for Camaro, and enjoy reading the vast array of opinions on sites like this.

I have one of last year’s coupes as well and I was getting ready to order a convertible when I saw the announcement for the 2011 Pace Car. Now you know I need the matching pair.

Put me down as interested in the retrofit dash stripe for my 2010.

I picked up my coupe last year on the Wednesday before the 500 just in time to make it to the race. What an awesome time it was; looks like I had better get my travel plans in order for this May.

Can I make one suggestion that I think would make all of us collectors happy. How about a simple emblem for the dash located just to the right of the stripe indicating the production # XXX of XXX. If cost is an issue it could be as simple as a print and cut sticker or something more substantial like a plaque with the # engraved. For the past years 5th Gen Pace Cars, 2009 and 2011, I would be more than happy to pay for the emblem, as I am sure all of my fellow 5th Gen Pace Car owners would be too.

Thanks again for all you all do for GM and the Camaro.

Joe
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #150
gto-locke

Drives: 1971 GTO, 2011 - Camaro IPC
2011 Pace Car

Called my local dealer and inquired as how to pre-order a pace car edition and he called me back and said even the owner (large Chevy dealer) didn't know anything about the pace car edition..

So will all of the 2011 pace cars come in autos.. like the 2010s?
gto-locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #151
Sweet Z

Drives: 2013 ZL-1
Hi,

Does anyone know when dealers will get information about these?

Thanks!
Sweet Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #152
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Are the stripes decals or painted? You would think as much as they cost it would be painted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #153
Atom
GM Design

Drives: 1968 RS/SS Camaro
I found a couple more picts of the car OUTSIDE........on Autoblog. Figured I would add them to this thread.

I hear you guys on numbering the cars, and I agree totally

Hopefully some of you caught the Car at the Chicago Autoshow, it looked pretty cool in the opening video........BUT more then likely you were distracted by the ZL-1. LOL

I'll be at Camaro Fest and the Indy 500 again this year.......Hope to see some of you there!

-Atom
Attached Images

Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #154
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Now the Indy car is a different story.....the event itself is perceived to be more upscale, more technology driven. We wanted that to affect the look of the car, and went for a more timeless look. Like the original 69, we didn't want to add more to the car then we needed. The 69 had no exterior changes from production, it lived off the color.......this simple approach to Pace cars has been lost on many, but I believe it's a big part of why the 69 is one of the most sought after Pace cars of all time.
I mirrored the areas of change as much as I could with the new 2011. The heritage grille picks up on the look of the RS package of 69 with it's center opening surrounded by body color. Also the stripe IS the statement, with an added twist of it affecting the interior. Outside of the grille & floor mats, every other change is ONLY available on a limited number basis specifically on the Indy. The Headrest, Sill plates, Full length stripes, Striped IP/Door inserts & specific gill decals can only be purchased via the Indy. We had plans for a specific modern interpretation of houndstooth, but things don't always go as planned.
So to answer your question about MORE special, it depends on what sort of stuff is special to you. I think they both Rock considering the parameters of the projects.
If the color is so important, then how could you get it wrong? I'm being compeltely honest here. Inferno Orange is not Hugger; Hugger is the iconic color. You say it's a one-off, that it lives off the stripes, that the heritage mattered, yet you put the wrong orange and, to top it off, Mustang "full length" stripes. I just don't understand you guys

We managed to build a true-to-heritage 69 Z10 replica, with appropriate Hugger Orange stripes, and with a much smaller budget...why can't you?

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500

Last edited by SSRSLY; 02-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.
SSRSLY is offline   Reply With Quote