Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #57
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
The ONLY time I have ever heard of this happening with a GM car was many years ago a guy showed up at the dealer with a busted tranny in his WS6 trans am. The dealer looked underneath and found enough rubber in the wheelwells to peel it out and make new tires. They denied it and the guy posted the receipt from the dealer online and complained... he got no support.

No they will NEVER reprogram the computer to bypass any original controls or anything else. This is easily remedied by a skip shift eliminator sold by any number of forum vendors, it plugs in and is easily removable for warranty work.

Using launch control or any factory included features will not void your warranty. As well unless you give them a reason (You come in with rubber in your wheelwells, numbers on the side of the car, a rollbar installed with a logbook in the glovebox, etc) they would never know you were racing.

In the end look at this from their side. If you sold a product and someone modified it and it broke DUE TO that modification would YOU be willing to fix it free for them? I know I would tell them to go pound sand as I made the product to work one way and they decided to use it another. It doesn't mean if you change the intake your exhaust warranty is gone, but if you change the intake and the IAT sensor goes, the intake has a direct effect, sorry.
I need some help here with your infallible premise that filtered ambient air flowing through an aftermarket intake tube across an IAT sensor can be the cause for the sensor failure, sorry. Can you explain the direct effect ?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #58
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It will likely void your chassis warranty.

Reason? The car was designed, engineered, tested and manufactured with a certain suspension setting. If you modify it, you are giving up your warranty.

What everyone seems to be missing is MM and all of this other discussion only says the manufacturer has to honor THEIR STATED WARRANTY. It does not give you any more warranty coverage than what the manufacturer states................and GM clearly states if you modify the parts your warranty is voided.

There was a highly publicized case several years ago of another OEM hanging out at race tracks and collecting VINs. GM has to my knowledge been very understanding in this regard. Now if you bring your Camaro in with racing slicks and a roll bar you might be out of luck.

If your dealer is not helping you, please call GM Customer Service at 1-866-509-9090. If you aren't satisfied, PM me with the SR (Service Request) Number and I will use our internal escalation process.

Keep in mind folks, your dealer has to get most approvals from GM in order to do warranty work done. For powertrain warranty, first step is to submit the cal file to GM for review in order to get approval.

And in every case, the dealer has to return the parts to GM for inspection. This is for two reasons, to make sure dealers are replacing bad parts and for GM engineers to be able to review the parts to root cause the issue in order to improve future cars.

And for everyone with examples of having a supercharger and GM paying for the warranty? First question is did the dealer do the install? If so, like GTA and his Tom Henry car, he has a warranty with Tom Henry, not GM or anyother dealer. But GM will also do "good will" repairs. And I believe for the Camaro transmissions this was done...........regardless of modifications. Refer to the transmission threads here on C5.

If you get a lawyer, be prepared to go up against a lot of GM engineering data. GM knows the limits of the powertrain. They've tested to find those limits. And when your mod exceeds those limits you'll have a hard time in court. But that's just an engineers opinion. A lawyer charging you by the hour probably has another.

I'm still waiting to see evidence of a case where someone popped a SC on or re-calibrated the ECU and went to court to have the warranty restated. I haven't seen one yet.................but we keep talking about it in threads like this like it could actually happen.

The stated warranty is pretty clear, and I can assure you GM has no desire to refuse your warranty repair. But keep in mind if you modify, then all bets are off and no one should be bad mouthing GM or any other OEM.
You do not need an expensive and prestigious attorney for your day in court. I would advise anyone who believes he or she has been unjustly denied a warranty claim to do the following. First find a knowledgeable individual to evaluate your vehicle's part failure and whose testimony can be used as an expert witness. Have your repairs performed at a reputable repair facility. Review your state's small claims court procedures and properly file a claim. Florida's small claims court is for claims up to $5,000.
You can sue for up to $5,000 claims plus costs and attorney's fees if you choose to utilize one. The small claims court judge will decide who prevails based on the discovery and testimony presented. If the dealership did not employ due diligence in determining the root cause of the part failure and prove it to the satisfaction of the judge, the judge is likely to rule in favor of the claimant. Just do not file a frivolous claim where there is not a reasonable chance of prevailing based on the discovery you are able to present in court.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #59
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
^solid advice.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #60
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
I would like to have AFM removed but if I do, it appears that GM would disavow the power train warranty. As the only way I know how to do it is through a tune.

Even if the tune ONLY disables the AFM. Even tho that would under the Magnuson-Moss Act I should be able to. So the act doesn't help with that issue, unless I can afford to pay a lawyer and wait a couple of years for resolution. Until/unless that happens GM doesn't have to prove anything!

Not sure the Magnuson-Moss Act really of that much benefit to the average joe.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #61
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Ive said this in other threads -

Every time I see someone offer a MODIFICATION for a car someone asks if it will void the warranty. In short -
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR WARRANTY 100% DO NOT MODIFY YOUR CAR

Every modification will void some part of your warranty. A dealer has no responsibility to fix, under warranty, anything that was modified after it left the dealership and trust me, they WILL use every excuse possible.

It is good to know your rights, but it takes money to use them and the dealerships know this. It is usually going to be cheaper to repair the car yourself than fight it out in court. I know that the dealer will eventually be required to pay lawyer fees IF you win, but you will still be out a lot of money up front and your car will be down in the meantime.

I have a decent background modifying cars and dealing with dealerships and my message is this - If you cannot afford to pay to fix something YOU broke modifying your car, DO NOT MODIFY IT.
While I don't 100% agree with the statement that every aftermarket part will void some part of your warranty, I 100% agree with the statement that if you don't want to take a chance don't add aftermarket parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
All the more reason for this question, If GM installs the Mods on your car, GM Performance exhaust, and GM shorty headers, options from the factory albeit not available it should be like anything else on the car, Warrantied, Right?
The beauty of the GMPP accessories installed by an approved GM dealer is that they don't affect your warranty. They have been tested and verified with your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Absolutely Untrue....

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Thanks SEMA we love ya man...

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0cuElkzZZ

My dealer replaced My tranny after Supercharger installed LT headers, flow thru cats, Corsa exhaust, RIP shift short throw shifter, Hennesy CAI and Tune... They even did all the installs!

Also replaced a friends Tranny twice who had same setup as mine...He blew second gear twice from miss shifting and they repaired it with new tranny twice.

In summary if they can prove the mods actually caused the failure than your out of luck. My dealer didn't even blink. Just fixed and quickly !
Completely agree. The act does put the onus on the dealer to prove that the mod broke your car. But I would caution here that there is a lot of margin here. For example, you add a CAI intake which ups the HP on your car. You break the output shaft on the transmission. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make a connection there whether it was related or not. Now, we know there were early issues with output shafts and maybe you have a dealer that will replace it under warranty with no questions asked about the CAI. But are you willing to take that chance? As someone else posted in another thread, you have to pay to play and if you aren't willing to pay then don't take the chance with add major mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-Jackpot View Post
It dosn't matter if you have it in writing or not. If you get a product from GM or GE. The warranty is a gimmic to get your money. The dealers ( and companies) for the most part, will try everything they can to get out of helping you.
I totally disagree. I have a great dealer who has been awesome about any warranty work. And in general, GM hasn't pushed back on the many warranty related items that I have been involved in. However, GM runs a for-profit business and it is not in their best interest to just go fixing every issue free of charge when the problem truly does originate from an add-on that the car owner installed or had installed. Put yourself in GM's shoes and look at each case as if it was your business. Some you would bend on and some you won't. Plan and simple.

Bottom line: if you can't pay to play, don't mess with your car.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #62
BA-Jackpot

Drives: 2 SS Camaro white/ Orange stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
While I don't 100% agree with the statement that every aftermarket part will void some part of your warranty, I 100% agree with the statement that if you don't want to take a chance don't add aftermarket parts.

The beauty of the GMPP accessories installed by an approved GM dealer is that they don't affect your warranty. They have been tested and verified with your car.

Completely agree. The act does put the onus on the dealer to prove that the mod broke your car. But I would caution here that there is a lot of margin here. For example, you add a CAI intake which ups the HP on your car. You break the output shaft on the transmission. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make a connection there whether it was related or not. Now, we know there were early issues with output shafts and maybe you have a dealer that will replace it under warranty with no questions asked about the CAI. But are you willing to take that chance? As someone else posted in another thread, you have to pay to play and if you aren't willing to pay then don't take the chance with add major mods.

I totally disagree. I have a great dealer who has been awesome about any warranty work. And in general, GM hasn't pushed back on the many warranty related items that I have been involved in. However, GM runs a for-profit business and it is not in their best interest to just go fixing every issue free of charge when the problem truly does originate from an add-on that the car owner installed or had installed. Put yourself in GM's shoes and look at each case as if it was your business. Some you would bend on and some you won't. Plan and simple.

Bottom line: if you can't pay to play, don't mess with your car.
Looks like you guys are right. It all depends what kind of people are working at your dealership. I bought my Camaro from Jim Bishop Chevrolet. Then went back and bought a gmc acadia. Then I had a problem with the clutch not coming up when I took off. I knew how to do a launch, But didnt at the time. And yet the dealer said it was something I done. Went another dealer and they just kept asking me why I had a different set of tires on the back and a CAI. None of there business really. And Nothing to do with the problem. The other dealer did check the car out though. AND put a new tailshaft seal! SO I traded the car to them for a new Chevy 4 door truck. I wont do business with the Jim Bishop guys again. I will continue to give the other guys my money until they show me that they dont want it.
And I think these forums are a great tool for anyone who wants to know where the good guys are. People will drive a long way to deal with someone with the right attitude.
Personality and attitude , I have leaned. will get you farther in life than education and knowledge.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #63
cchaney

Drives: 2011 1LT Camaro
Thanks for the information this answers my question that I was going to ask in the forum. I think that I will leave out the cold air intake.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #64
xracer1957

Drives: 2010 2ss
ok so is the car warrenty void if you have a no mod car and take it to the dragstrip a few times.
lets say after you take it to the strip a few months later you have a clutch or rear end problem will you still be covered?

Thanks
Xracer
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #65
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Good read. Thanks for the info. I'm planning on adding a CAI and a Cat-Back system in the near future. Since both are bolt-on, I'm not to worried. I'll make sure to check with the dealer ahead of time, but its good to know that my warranty rights are protected.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #66
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracer1957 View Post
ok so is the car warrenty void if you have a no mod car and take it to the dragstrip a few times.
lets say after you take it to the strip a few months later you have a clutch or rear end problem will you still be covered?

Thanks
Xracer
Xracer, since no one directly answered your question, I thought I would pipe up. Unfortunately, that is a bit of a tricky question and a gray area. The warranty doesn't explicitly say anything about racing or track use that I could find. Although, it does state "All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse,...". Again, this probably really comes down to the relationship you have with your dealer and the kind of damage that you do. If you tell them you were at the track when it happened, they might consider that misuse. Also, keep in mind that most insurance companies don't cover any damage to a car that happens on a track. Many tracks offer supplemental insurance for a few. Just something else to consider.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #67
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
The warranty doesn't explicitly say anything about racing or track use that I could find. "
No disrespect, but if you're going to be on here representing GM, please have your facts straight. You're supposed to be the resident expert, here..

Below is the page in the warranty booklet. (The highlighted text was used to make a different point in another thread. It's not relevant to this specific topic.)
Bullet point 2 says that if you damage the car during racing, the warranty will not cover repairs.
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #68
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
No disrespect, but if you're going to be on here representing GM, please have your facts straight. You're supposed to be the resident expert, here..

Below is the page in the warranty booklet. (The highlighted text was used to make a different point in another thread. It's not relevant to this specific topic.)
Bullet point 2 says that if you damage the car during racing, the warranty will not cover repairs.
First of all, I want to be clear. I am not on here representing GM. I don't work for GM and I have no affiliation with GM. So please don't make assumptions about me. I was reading directly from the Chevy Warranty Web Site, so I apologize for missing the exact wording from whatever manual you have copied that excerpt from.

For more detail, there is actually this statement in the Owner's Manual under Competitive Driving:

Competitive Driving
Competitive driving may affect the vehicle warranty. See the warranty book before using the vehicle for racing or other competitive driving.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #69
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
First of all, I want to be clear. I am not on here representing GM. I don't work for GM and I have no affiliation with GM. So please don't make assumptions about me.
I am confused. You have this thread where you offer to escalate warranty issues. From what I understand, the escalation process can only be initiated by a GM employee. So how is it that you can initiate the escalation procedure without being affiliated with GM?

In all honesty, I meant nothing personal by my comment. Hope you didn't take it that way.
[rant] I have very high regards for this site. It is well ran and well funded. This site pretty much sets the bar for similar sites, so the content in these technical forums should be accurate, imo. Instead, we have to put on a pair of waste-high waders before entering to get through all the misinformation and bs. [/rant]
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #70
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
I am confused. You have this thread where you offer to escalate warranty issues. From what I understand, the escalation process can only be initiated by a GM employee. So how is it that you can initiate the escalation procedure without being affiliated with GM?

In all honesty, I meant nothing personal by my comment. Hope you didn't take it that way.
[rant] I have very high regards for this site. It is well ran and well funded. This site pretty much sets the bar for similar sites, so the content in these technical forums should be accurate, imo. Instead, we have to put on a pair of waste-high waders before entering to get through all the misinformation and bs. [/rant]
Don't be confused. I have explained it elsewhere, but maybe not in that escalation thread. I don't work for GM and have no affiliation with GM just as I stated. However, I do have friends at GM who care about customer support and want to see every customer as happy as possible. Early on I was having a discussion with them that some people weren't getting the level of service they felt they deserved. So they offered to escalate problems for me (and for us as a community). They do it because as I said (and despite what some forum members have ranted about) they really want to see every customer satisfied. I can't stress that enough. Just spend a few minutes and talk to some GM employees. PM a few people on here (Number 3, grunt, fbodfather, etc, etc). If you don't get the clear message that these people care, then you just don't get it at all.

Early on in that process I was sending everything up because I too wanted everyone to be happy. However, I realized that some people weren't being honest and truthful and it was leading to a lot of extra, unnecessary work for my friends at GM. So now when I get an escalation I try to put it through some "screening" if you will before I send it up. I don't want to cry wolf so much that the process doesn't work at all. That probably explains why at times I am a bit skeptical and questioning. I have had a taste of what happens in the background and I have seen those who abuse both the warranty process, the customer service process and GM in general. When you witness that first-hand, then you will understand.

Does that part make sense?

So now to your comments on mis-information on here. Welcome to the Internet. I can't speak for the mods so what I am about to say it my own personal opinion and may not be shared by anyone else. First of all, when I post information, I try to go directly to GM (web site, owner's manuals, my friends, etc) before I post information. I try to be as factual as I personally can. If I am not 100% sure, I usually state that. I definitely don't want to make anyone believe anything that isn't true. When I stated what I did above regarding the warranty as I said I pulled that directly from the GM warranty web site.

I will tell you, there are a lot of people out there who don't know what they are talking about, but state it as if they were 100% sure. That's both the great part and the bad part about the Internet and sites like this. If you spend a lot of time on here, you quickly realize who is who. Unfortunately, if you don't it is sometimes hard to tell. But as a community, how do you differentiate? And frankly, I have seen cases where there are people who think they are in the know so to speak, who also appear to be credible sources, but who in particular cases have bad or incomplete information. In those cases, there is almost nothing you can do.

Finally, a closing note on warranty. Unfortunately, it isn't always black and white. For example, just as I pasted below: Competitive driving may affect the vehicle warranty. May affect. That doesn't say it will or it won't. It really depends on a number of factors. Your relationship with your dealer is very, very important in my opinion. I have said it numerous times on here. Don't buy from a place bcause it has the lowest price. Buy from them because you know them. You can trust them. Do you know your salesman's name? Do you know the general manager's name? The owner? The service manager? I know all those at my dealer. I go talk to them when I stop in. I send other customers to them and I give them information. Have a relationship with them. I also ask them before I do things to my car that might affect the warranty. In fact, on one occasion, I asked them to check with the regional support team to see what their opinion was before I did anything.

Now I get it that maybe in all cases that type of relationship isn't possible. My fallback opinion (and I get that it isn't always popular) is if you can't or don't want to pay to fix your car, then don't take the chance on doing anything that could remotely void or affect the warranty. And if you choose to do so, be responsible and man-up to what you did. Again, I get that there are cases where you mod-ed the engine and the door fell off and the dealer said you aren't under warranty. By all means, that should be escalated.

I hope all that makes sense. I didn't start out planning on making a giant post, but there was just a lot to say. And I don't want this to turn into a debate about what GM should and shouldn't fix. I just wanted to give you and others an insight into my thoughts. It's just my two cents...

Closed Thread

Tags
ftc, law, void warranty, warranty