Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
98-02 Z28 Auto vs Manual performance?

So trough some hard work my economy is finally pretty good. And the time is approaching when I can get a used Camaro. But I've been wavering on the issue of whether or not to get an auto or manual transmission. I know I want a 98-02 Camaro Z28 or SS if I can find it.

But my real question is, is there any huge performance difference between the auto and the manual transmissions?

My thoughts with this car is sort of my fun, time off car. And for some of that stuff, like just cruising around and being able to do overtakes without worry and some power slides every here and there, the auto is great seeing as I don't have to worry about missing a gear and always having the power when I put my foot down. Also with the auto layout of the 4th gen I can lock in some of the lower gears if I want to. Another advantage is that my dad knows quite a bit about auto transmission and he could probably help me re-tune it if I want to.

And just the argument for manual is...well I've mostly driven manual cars. I'm used to them, and as I understand there's a slight MPG gain in relation to the auto. the big argument against manual is that it's really uncommon on used 4th gens, or American cars in general, here in Sweden.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
manual gets better fuel mileage if that matters at all. not sure about where you live, but there are lots of manual 4th gens around here.

manual is rated 19/28 and auto is 17/25 (i think that is correct for the auto). i get about 23 combined on my manual and have gotten 27 on a long highway trip.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
I think you'd be happy with both. What kind of driving do you enjoy? Road racing or drag.

In general Auto = Drag and Manual = Road Racing. I have an Auto 4th gen and a Manual 5th gen and I honestly love driving both.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
I had an auto 02 Z28, and a manual 06 GTO. Cruising around can be enjoyable with either tranny. Over taking and passing, in my opinion, was more fun in the auto. Simply cause it reacts quicker, especially if you put a good stall converter in it, then its just a blast, literally. It can be fun in a manual too, but it just takes a little experience to be able to pull it off quickly. Powerslides is easier and safer in a manual. Autos, if you don't manually put it in a lower gear, can upshift unexpectedly and that causes the tires to suddenly get traction and can cause a fish tail, which can throw you off the road, or into the oncoming lane. Test drive both, its all personal preference. On a side note, I think the Aussies designed the GTO specifically to perfom power slides because it is a god when it comes to that manuvere, might wanna try one out if you don't mind the looks of it.
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Manual is one tenth quicker in the quarter stock to stock.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Manual is slighty faster with a skilled driver, but the automatic will win a large percentage of the drag races.

One of the biggest issue with the Z28 A4 is the 4 speed transmission. The spacing of only 4 gears leaves some bad weak performance zones.
If you nail the gas from certain speeds (like 35mph or up around 75 mph) performance is rather sluggish.
When I had my LS1 Z28 (auto) I quickly learned where the car was weak (around 35 - 40 mph), and I tried to avoid those speeds when racing.

But when drag racing from a dead stop, the A4 works well.

With the 6 speed (manual), you have much better control of your RPMs and you can keep the engine in the power much easier from a roll.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You're gonna love either one. If I had it to do over again, I'd go M6. Just for the fun factor, and 6th gear would definitely deliver better highway mileage.

That said, on a cool day my A4 SS will destroy my Michelin 285s all the way through 2nd gear- every. single. time. Wouldn't trade her for the world. Or anything less than 15k

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
If I had 15K lying around I'd be tempted to take you up on that, she's a beauty! But alas.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
If I had 15K lying around I'd be tempted to take you up on that, she's a beauty! But alas.

A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
bill2129
Account Suspended

Drives: 2085 Trans AM COBRA
Pretty sure the m6 is not much quicker then a A4 In the 1/4
bill2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCutlass View Post
I had an auto 02 Z28, and a manual 06 GTO. Cruising around can be enjoyable with either tranny. Over taking and passing, in my opinion, was more fun in the auto. Simply cause it reacts quicker, especially if you put a good stall converter in it, then its just a blast, literally. It can be fun in a manual too, but it just takes a little experience to be able to pull it off quickly. Powerslides is easier and safer in a manual. Autos, if you don't manually put it in a lower gear, can upshift unexpectedly and that causes the tires to suddenly get traction and can cause a fish tail, which can throw you off the road, or into the oncoming lane. Test drive both, its all personal preference. On a side note, I think the Aussies designed the GTO specifically to perfom power slides because it is a god when it comes to that manuvere, might wanna try one out if you don't mind the looks of it.
If I where to get the auto I'd never attempt a power slide without locking in the gears first. I like to have fun, not to have hospital stays.

As for the GTO, yeah I kinda like it, but it's A LOT rarer then the Camaro around these parts. You can get a pretty good used 4th gen for around 100K Swedish crownes, whilst the GTO's START at around 200K. And even then that's usually cars that have been driven way longer then the 4th gens.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
nascarnate326
Team Green

Drives: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Send a message via AIM to nascarnate326
M6 is more fun.

Muscle cars are supposed to have manual trans...I get disappointed when see an auto car.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post
M6 is more fun.

Muscle cars are supposed to have manual trans...I get disappointed when see an auto car.
Another tranny snob. Never understood this sentiment.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
Emher
Pillaging Viking

It makes more sense to me in the new Camaro where you actually loose HP and sound in the auto tranny. Old school, it's not as easy as me starting the thread clearly demonstrates.