Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
AizenDono

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Question about rotor cleaning

I noticed in a few spots my rotors seem to be rusting. I've only had the car for roughly 8 months, is this normal? regardless, i'd like to clean it off and was wondering if anyone out there had reccomendations for products and/or techniques.

TIA
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
The rotor faces on any car will show surface rust from time to time, pretty much anytime they get wet and are allowed to air dry. This will come off the next time you hit the brakes and the pads contact the surface.

For areas around the edges, near the rotor hats, or other areas that are not contacted by the brake pads all you need a wire brush and a decent all purpose cleaner to break up the rust. After you knock if off of those areas I recommend applying a high temp paint to keep it from happening again.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
The rotor faces on any car will show surface rust from time to time, pretty much anytime they get wet and are allowed to air dry. This will come off the next time you hit the brakes and the pads contact the surface.

For areas around the edges, near the rotor hats, or other areas that are not contacted by the brake pads all you need a wire brush and a decent all purpose cleaner to break up the rust. After you knock if off of those areas I recommend applying a high temp paint to keep it from happening again.
Would something like 000 Steel Wool work?

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
AizenDono

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post

thank you very much for the reply. I had figured it was surface rust that would come off through some braking, but i wanted to make sure it wasn't something more serious.

Knowing only a small amount about cars; this forum has been a huuuuuge help to me.

Tags
cleaning, rust. rotor