Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
Stainless Power vs OBX vs TSP

There has been a lot of header talk here lately and these names are constantly tossed around. But for the most part these headers are trashed because they arent made here in the US. Aside from the country of origin what makes these headers so bad. Or one better than the other.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I know for a fact that Stainless Works is all about US production. Stainless Power is their discount brand that is outsourced, but I believe they're still made in the US. They just aren't made in-house.

I've heard mixed stories about OBX being a knock-off brand and also stories of them having good quality, which would make sense if they knocked off another brand's product. I have no idea where they are made.

I have no information on Texas Speed manufacturing.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Apparently, the Chinese use a metal that is capable of spontaneous combustion. Also, there are shops that had soo many imaginary customers show up one day with defective headers that they abolished all sales of that particular brand. And some shops won't even install your headers if they see that it isn't Kooks or ARH. And this one time 2 years ago someone took pictures of one pair of headers from OBX and found some minor issues that had no significant impact on the performance or reliability of those headers. And everyone says that OBX is a knock-off...so it must be true...because you can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true. OH, and metal from China is not the same as metal from America. And did you know that some people aren't even allowed to say "OBX" (GASP)...?! So you know they must be just horrible if you can't even say the name. And a few days ago, some kid had imaginary fitment issues because his imaginary set of headers were leaking. We all tried to help him out, but alas, it was a lost cause...he had to throw the headers in the trash.

The OBX set I got came with no defects, they fit great, the install went perfect, they perform great, and they sound amazing with the matching 3 inch exhaust. But I must have just got a good set...I must have gotten lucky that day. I shoulda played the lottery instead...because chances of getting a good set of cheap headers are like darn-near nonexistent.

Last edited by BlaqWhole; 02-20-2013 at 06:52 PM.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
Ive got a set of stainless power, they ve been on my car for about 2k miles. Never had a problem installing them they sound and look great. Can't complain here, and plus its pretty much the same SW header just not made here. I have no problem getting the same performance as the more expensive SW brand for hundreds less.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I know for a fact that Stainless Works is all about US production. Stainless Power is their discount brand that is outsourced, but I believe they're still made in the US. They just aren't made in-house.
The Stainless Power and Stainless Works flanges and tubing are the exact same parts. They are manufactured from the same material (304L stainless steel) at the Stainless Works facility in Ohio. After those parts are made, some of them are welded in house and receive the Stainless Works brand and others are shipped out to be welded and they receive the Stainless Power brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightymouseSS View Post
Ive got a set of stainless power, they ve been on my car for about 2k miles. Never had a problem installing them they sound and look great. Can't complain here, and plus its pretty much the same SW header just not made here. I have no problem getting the same performance as the more expensive SW brand for hundreds less.
Exactly. And for that very reason they have been EXTREMELY popular.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The Stainless Power and Stainless Works flanges and tubing are the exact same parts. They are manufactured from the same material (304L stainless steel) at the Stainless Works facility in Ohio. After those parts are made, some of them are welded in house and receive the Stainless Works brand and others are shipped out to be welded and they receive the Stainless Power brand.
I appreciate your clarification.

I feel compelled to point out that I merely summarized the discussions on OBX in a brief statement. If OBX wants to come in here and defend their product as independently designed and produced in the United States or Canada, they are more than welcome to do so. I have no opinion as to the quality of the product aside from what I've read here.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Why has no one addressed TSP?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
if you are going to go for budget headers (nothing wrong with that) select one that the company will stand behind...selecting a quality vendor that will stand behind it as well wouldnt hurt.

stainless and tsp have people that will answer the phone and hold themselves accountable. apex chase who has already given you some info is one of those vendors that will stand behind a product they sell.

aside from from some people who will rant and rave...there is a difference between american stainless steel and "other" countries stainless. i am sure you already know of the difference in craftsmenship.

goodluck in your header purchase!
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Swacer

TSP are American made?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
No they are Not! BUT they do PAY THAT HEFTY sponsorship FEE!

So hey if you can use that to steer you that way they would appreciate it I'm sure, and so would be the owners of this site lol. Just my .2
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
No they are Not! BUT they do PAY THAT HEFTY sponsorship FEE!

So hey if you can use that to steer you that way they would appreciate it I'm sure, and so would be the owners of this site lol. Just my .2
Is that a reply to me?

I don't understand much of what you said.....
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Apparently, the Chinese use a metal that is capable of spontaneous combustion. Also, there are shops that had soo many imaginary customers show up one day with defective headers that they abolished all sales of that particular brand. And some shops won't even install your headers if they see that it isn't Kooks or ARH. And this one time 2 years ago someone took pictures of one pair of headers from OBX and found some minor issues that had no significant impact on the performance or reliability of those headers. And everyone says that OBX is a knock-off...so it must be true...because you can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true. OH, and metal from China is not the same as metal from America. And did you know that some people aren't even allowed to say "OBX" (GASP)...?! So you know they must be just horrible if you can't even say the name. And a few days ago, some kid had imaginary fitment issues because his imaginary set of headers were leaking. We all tried to help him out, but alas, it was a lost cause...he had to throw the headers in the trash.

The OBX set I got came with no defects, they fit great, the install went perfect, they perform great, and they sound amazing with the matching 3 inch exhaust. But I must have just got a good set...I must have gotten lucky that day. I shoulda played the lottery instead...because chances of getting a good set of cheap headers are like darn-near nonexistent.
You wonder why every thread turns into a crap fest....way to set the tone.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
I love my tsp headers. And love dealing with tsp. Did lca tow rods Then headers to tail pipes, Then cam purchase. Then lowering springs. All awesome customr service. Even though i havent needed any because it has been perfect from the start
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I see a thread lock or delete coming.