Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #43
racingray68
racingray

Drives: 1968 camaro ss
thats alot for that kit. years ago these kits were only $ 4000 whats the big difference probably not too much, I cant believe how these prices just keep going up and up. I hope nobody buys this kit so that procharger realizes that they are over the market.
racingray68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #44
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingray68 View Post
thats alot for that kit. years ago these kits were only $ 4000 whats the big difference probably not too much, I cant believe how these prices just keep going up and up. I hope nobody buys this kit so that procharger realizes that they are over the market.
I know. I thought prices were DEflating not inflating.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #45
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I know. I thought prices were DEflating not inflating.
Uh, where have you been, our gov't is printing money like crazy. Some analysts are warning that there may be hyper inflation.

I don't think $6k is bad for the kit at all. If you are waiting for a $3k supercharger kit you may be waiting a looong time.
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #46
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
Uh, where have you been, our gov't is printing money like crazy. Some analysts are warning that there may be hyper inflation.

I don't think $6k is bad for the kit at all. If you are waiting for a $3k supercharger kit you may be waiting a looong time.
I agree $6k is not too bad, but the price is closer to $7k.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #47
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
Aren't the other kits priced at $8-9k for the new Camaro?
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #48
turbolou

Drives: 2008 TT Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
As featured on Homepage.

2010 Camaro: ProCharger Systems and Tuner Kits Now Available
Posted on June 26th, 2009 by ProCharger

Building on our industry-leading experience with supercharging GM LS engines, ProCharger is once again first-to-market with an air-to-air intercooled supercharger system and tuner kit for the highly anticipated 2010 Camaro SS. Complete systems and tuner kits are available for order now and will begin shipping by July 10th. -- http://www.procharger.com/supercharger/blog/?p=130

Utilizing the patented and proven, self-contained ProCharger P-1SC-1 supercharger, a highly effective air-to-air intercooler and dedicated 8-rib drive, a ProCharger system or tuner kit can add 45% or more horsepower to an otherwise stock Camaro SS running high quality pump gas.

The HO Intercooled System comes 100% complete, including the industry-standard ProCharger supercharger, air-to-air intercooler, intercooler tubing, brackets, fuel injectors, ProFlow bypass valve, tuning and simple installation. Thanks to the industry’s coolest charge air temperatures, the unmatched power gains are delivered with maximum reliability and everyday driveability.

Tuner Kits are identical to complete systems but omit fuel injectors and computer programming.

Yes, we know these long awaited cars are going to be raced, so ProCharger Race Kits will be coming very soon. Look for the legendary ProCharger F-Series superchargers, dedicated 12-rib and cog drive sytems and larger intercooler options for 2010 Camaros with modified LS engines.
Procharger was the first on the block with the C-5 Z06 kit & I had the misfortune of buying one. These were the issues, poor quality intercooler boots,misaligned pulleys causing premature belt failure,Blower should of had its own belt, Too many items driven off one 5 rib belt. intercooler pipes hung too low & had to be redone. Programming & tune provided way off, even after 4 attempts to have corrected. No support & arrogant attitude from staff.Product was rushed to market to beat out competitors & left to the installer to figure it all out. I have been in the automotive industry way longer than Procharger in business & have welding,fabrication & general repair skills & was accused of not knowing what I was doing. My advise is not be the first to buy this kit & look into what other options are available. One of their most respected vendors A&A corvette no longer will do business with them also. Sorry that my first post here has to be so negative but I have no ulterior motives for posting this other than it is what it is.
turbolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #49
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Hmm... I know my tuner's been using them for several years, but I'm going to check with him regarding this too. It's too bad what happened to your 'Vette though and the response it sounds like you had.

That head unit looks similar to what I've seen in the past. That being said, what I don't like is having to pull the head in order to change the oil within. I thought I remembered the interval was something like every 6,000 miles, but I don't have to pull my rear end to change the fluid so I just have a little bit of a hard time with that. Don't get me wrong though - I don't much like the idea of having to tap into the oil pan either that I remember some other centrifugals either. I know these babies perform; I don't think that's too arguable. I'm just curious to still see the numbers.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #50
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
2 comments...these type S/C produce power in a turbo(esc) way...ie in a linear fashion, they don't produce the raw low end torque of a roots type blower, but they will make very strong power 3-4K up and make more peak power than a PD blower. Since this is a heavy car, the question I have is which one will "run" better, product better power under the curve (more average power).
2nd...the price is or should be very attractive...you boys looked at the TVS pricing? This is extremely comparable if not cheaper than TVS's...so I'd say its a pretty good deal. There is a local vette on stock short block that is running mid 10-s at 130+ with one of these things....lots a miles on the stock short block..
Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #51
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
2 comments...these type S/C produce power in a turbo(esc) way...ie in a linear fashion, they don't produce the raw low end torque of a roots type blower, but they will make very strong power 3-4K up and make more peak power than a PD blower. Since this is a heavy car, the question I have is which one will "run" better, product better power under the curve (more average power).
You're gonna get a ton of different responses.

The way I see it, and this is just my opinion... Roots and twin screws are going to give you that instant burst of low end torque while still maintaining a decent gain higher up. Depending on how you drive this may be what you're looking for. I can see that setup having major traction issues on the Camaro.. Refer to the SS vs GT500 video. Traction issues made that bastard run slower than it should on paper. Another good read is the edmunds test of the HPE 550.

Now, the centrifugals, like you said, gain power more in a linear fashion like a turbo. You will still gain some low end torque over stock so it will have worse traction than stock... but not nearly as bad as the PD blowers.. The large gains come mid to high range. I can see that setup being quicker in the fact that you will be able to control traction easier, which will get you into that higher rpm range quicker where you're gonna pull like a mofo.

But after all thats just my opinion and it's probably
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #52
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Kinda my point is that in a 1/4 mile situation that is not traction limited (ie you run a DR and aren't scared to possibly break your rear/tranny/driveshaft etc), since this is such a heavy car, and requires such torque to move the thing out of the hole, and 60' creates winning ET's that the PD blower may have the edge in the 1/4....the centri- may have the edge on the roll races....JMHO...
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #53
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeZee View Post
A stock 4.6L is 281 cubic inches since 1996 and a stock sohc/dohc mustang 4.6L engine can only handle 450rwhp. You can do whatever you want to but i had a 2003 Dohc 4-valve Mach1 4.6L (281) and i was on the limit with 444rwhp off a procharger system with 10#'s, so i know for a fact a 3-valve 2005+ GT mustang can only handle 450 safe. The 3-valve heads are one step away from 4-valve heads. These new camaro SS's can handle 525-550rwhp just doing basic math and going off what LS3 Vettes can handle but don't push your luck after that.

I'm a little over the 450 RWHP threshhold (485RWHP) on stock intrenals pushing 9.7 lbs. boost.
Borrowed time--maybe
Good tune-- Definitely

There are quite a few Mustangs running 450-500 RWHP on stock motors.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #54
White Devil

Drives: Summit White 1SS Soon
Quote:
Kinda my point is that in a 1/4 mile situation that is not traction limited (ie you run a DR and aren't scared to possibly break your rear/tranny/driveshaft etc), since this is such a heavy car, and requires such torque to move the thing out of the hole, and 60' creates winning ET's that the PD blower may have the edge in the 1/4....the centri- may have the edge on the roll races....JMHO...
Ah, on a dr and no worries... tough to say. In that case ya the PD blower is gonna rip outta the hole, but what kinda power levels are we talking? Most of the fastest FI vettes are turbo/centri, but I believe that's simply due to fact that above a certain power level, the turbo/centri route is easier to make big numbers with. I'm not doubting the pd blower here, I just don't see many serious racers using them. (on LS engines at high numbers, I'm not talking all types of dragsters)

If we're talking about power lvls between 500-600RWHP, sounds like a drivers race to me, but I think I may give it to the pd blower (if u got slicks).
White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #55
mondain

Drives: toyota
I just got off the phone with Procharger; the $6,896 is for the full kit + tune, they also sell just a tuner kit which is everything minus the fuel components for $6,196.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #56
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Devil View Post
You're gonna get a ton of different responses.

The way I see it, and this is just my opinion... Roots and twin screws are going to give you that instant burst of low end torque while still maintaining a decent gain higher up. Depending on how you drive this may be what you're looking for. I can see that setup having major traction issues on the Camaro.. Refer to the SS vs GT500 video. Traction issues made that bastard run slower than it should on paper. Another good read is the edmunds test of the HPE 550.

Now, the centrifugals, like you said, gain power more in a linear fashion like a turbo. You will still gain some low end torque over stock so it will have worse traction than stock... but not nearly as bad as the PD blowers.. The large gains come mid to high range. I can see that setup being quicker in the fact that you will be able to control traction easier, which will get you into that higher rpm range quicker where you're gonna pull like a mofo.

But after all thats just my opinion and it's probably
That sounds right to me.

Quote:
I think with such a heavy car and complete traction, you will break parts. So if you have the $$$ go for it. Otherwise I think the centri's will have an edge.