Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Tanneau cover nearly took flight today...

Had my vert for 4 days now... hadn't put the top UP since the dealer and I lowered it and installed the (cheap, worthless) tanneau cover before leaving the lot. I Have put 150 miles on the car, mostly driving around town. I hit the hwy this morning and noticed the tanneau cover gettig "wind ripples" near the center as I cruised through.mornig rushhour at 75 mph...then suddenly- pop, there goes one side snap (mind you, there's only 2), and the covers loose and flappin!!! I immediately slowed, got to the shoulder and put it back in place... this is NOT a good sign.

Im gonna contact GM today and let them.know... if ANYONE else is experiencing similar issues, please do the same. These coveres appear very cheaply made and horribly secured. Perhaps if enough people.complain, we can get a recall and a redesign!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
That's not good. On a brighter note, can you post some pics of your vert
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Drago- Thanks for posting up your convertible findings on tonneau and exhaust. Part curse, part blessing going first. I am annoyed with tonneau based on your review because I really like the way it smooths out and cleans up all the mechanicals there.

We'll see where this goes by the time I get mine.
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
wow thats messed.
This thread needs new pics of your VERT!!!!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Get a GoPro Camera, suction cup mount it to the windshield inside the car facing backwards and retry the experiment.

Visual proof is always preferred

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Get a Robbins Tonneau

I lived across the street from Stan Robbins for 30 years until he passed away last fall. They make the best replacement tops, tonneaus, and interior mods, bar none. His son Randy now runs the operation in SoCal and I'm sure they have a website. Go to something like Robbins Auto Tops .com

http://www.robbinsautotop.com/index.php

Found it.

edit. Just talked to Doug Robbins. They don't plan to make a tonneau for the Camaro vert. He said that to make it tight and secure they would have to drill fours holes in the dash and a hole on both sides near the mirror, and that nobody wants to have that done so they shelved plans for that. However, he did say that if you don't mind the holes and paying at least a grand, he will recommend shops that can do that very well. If you're interested, call him. His number is on the website.

Last edited by Fogey; 03-01-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
svtjackal

Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
After talking with Al Oppenheiser at the chicago auto show, he said that they had a fleet of vert camaros for testing and that all had plenty of testing miles on them, after all that I can't believe that none of the testers had this same problem,
I am not doubting it happened to you I am just wondering if you didn't secured the tonneau correctly.

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Fogey

Does the factory vert come with a tonneau?

I'm talking about a real tonneau, not just some cover for the top when it's down. Were I to buy a vert, a full tonneau would be a must. Otherwise you have bird crap, and a-holes of all kinds to deal with. Saw a guy pitch a empty soda cup into a Stang the other day.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Had my vert for 4 days now... hadn't put the top UP since the dealer and I lowered it and installed the (cheap, worthless) tanneau cover before leaving the lot. I Have put 150 miles on the car, mostly driving around town. I hit the hwy this morning and noticed the tanneau cover gettig "wind ripples" near the center as I cruised through.mornig rushhour at 75 mph...then suddenly- pop, there goes one side snap (mind you, there's only 2), and the covers loose and flappin!!! I immediately slowed, got to the shoulder and put it back in place... this is NOT a good sign.

Im gonna contact GM today and let them.know... if ANYONE else is experiencing similar issues, please do the same. These coveres appear very cheaply made and horribly secured. Perhaps if enough people.complain, we can get a recall and a redesign!
Question: When you put the tonneau cover on - did you attach the "forks" (for lack of a better term) that fasten to the bolts on the rear seat cross-member?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Fogey

That's not a tonneau

Don't care what GM calls it, it's a convetible top cover. There's a market for real tonneaus when these things really start getting out there.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
RS69

Drives: 2011 pace car
Was there any reason the top cover could not be hinged like the 3rd gens. That type would look and function much better.
RS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Did the dealer install the posts correctly that those little fork clips go on? Should have been two posts included with the cover, and those posts are dealer installed. There is a bulletin showing how those posts have to be installed, and the plastic corner trim sitting over the cloth trim near the post. Is your cloth trim tucked under the plastic corner trim near the posts? It should be.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Before everyone dumps their GM stock , lets look at this objectively...

I suspect GM would have tested this, so it's probably not a design flaw. Which leaves two possibilities: user error (dealer or owner), or quality control issue. If its a quality issue, it would be the equivalent of the coupe's spoiler coming loose and flapping around - not a likely scenario given GM new found ability to build quality cars.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10

Last edited by SSLarry; 03-01-2011 at 03:58 PM.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote